Unknown WW1 Australian Ace

About the forum, Captain W.E. Johns and Biggles. Including samples of WEJ writing

Unknown WW1 Australian Ace

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 15 Feb 2014, 08:48

The top Australian WW1 ace [I had never heard of him until today], was Captain Robert A. Little of the RNAS, who was credited with 47 'kills' & flew Sopwith Pups, Triplanes and Camels with No. 8 Squadron RNAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Little
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Unknown WW1 Australian Ace

Postby VickersVandal » 15 Feb 2014, 20:18

"Unknown"? :?

Perhaps "unsung" might be more accurate?
Yes, Little,doesn't often get a mention. For some reason the RNAS pilots, who the Germans avoided like the plague, seem to get forgotten about. They were fortunate in getting significantly superior machines to the clunkers the RFC were had dumped on them at the time.

I'm hoping there will be more info about Little in the book I picked up yesterday, though given its about he AFC it may have little or no mention.
My Biggles Models display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
The forum Biggles model gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=18
VickersVandal
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Reading now: Biggles of 266, with the Lesser Vandal
Reading next: More WW1 short stories with the LV
My top chap: Dickpa
Starsign: Star of Bethlehem
Aircraft: The Vandal
Random: Zees is ze Trondheim Hammer Dance....

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 02:39

VickersVandal wrote:"Unknown"? :? Perhaps "unsung" might be more accurate? Yes, Little,doesn't often get a mention. For some reason the RNAS pilots, who the Germans avoided like the plague, seem to get forgotten about. They were fortunate in getting significantly superior machines to the clunkers the RFC were had dumped on them at the time.
I'm hoping there will be more info about Little in the book I picked up yesterday, though given its about he AFC it may have little or no mention.

Looks like a good read! I have a couple on WW1 & Australian aviators, the main one being about the "Mesopotamian Half Flight" which arrived in April 1915, followed by the AFC's first complete flying unit, No. 1 Squadron, which left Australia for the Middle East in March 1916. All this happened before the better known 2, 3 &4 squadrons arrived in France on the Western front in late 1917. Unsung heroes is very apt.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 08:45

OzBiggles1963 wrote:The top Australian WW1 ace [I had never heard of him until today], was Captain Robert A. Little of the RNAS, who was credited with 47 'kills' & flew Sopwith Pups, Triplanes and Camels with No. 8 Squadron RNAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Little

Did you post this having seen the article on the bag containing his personal possessions that was found while ago?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 09:02

No....but something is ringing a bell now about some 'lost possessions' I read some mths ago. Same guy? If I recall it was an old "gladstone bag' that a relative had apparently thrown out & was discovered at a dump by a stranger somewhere down south?
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 09:17

P.S. A little bit of googling & I find this article from August last year:

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/st ... tary-gold/
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 09:22

That's the one. I recognised the pet name they had for his son, I think he was carrying a photo of him when he was killed. The family did not want to talk about him much after his death.

Oh, snap. I found this.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013 ... land_drive

Yes. Yours was the article I read!
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 09:38

Tommy Smith wrote:That's the one. I recognised the pet name they had for his son, I think he was carrying a photo of him when he was killed. The family did not want to talk about him much after his death. Oh, snap. I found this. http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013 ... land_drive. Yes. Yours was the article I read!

Ah, the link mentions his biography by Mike Rosel, another one for my 'wants' list, lol.

I've just received in the mail not long ago two other bios I have heard much about: Eric "Winkle' Brown's book Wings On My Sleeve, & Saggitarius Rising by Cecil Lewis.....just have to find time now to read them. :D

Oh...congrats are in order, may I be the 1st to congratulate you on your promotion to Flight Lieut. my dear fellow! :cheers2:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 09:39

I meant to ask....have you finished watching the Wings episodes yet?
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 09:46

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Oh...congrats are in order, may I be the 1st to congratulate you on your promotion to Flight Lieut. my dear fellow! :cheers2:

What! Oh good grief.... all that wasted time when I should have been doing something productive :o :oops:

Drinks are on me in the Mess...
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 16 Feb 2014, 09:46

OzBiggles1963 wrote:

And from me, too. :banana:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 09:50

Tommy Smith wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote: Oh...congrats are in order, may I be the 1st to congratulate you on your promotion to Flight Lieut. my dear fellow! :cheers2:

What! Oh good grief.... all that wasted time when I should have been doing something productive :o :oops: Drinks are on me in the Mess...

I'll have a lemonade please! [with a dash of scotch.... :D ]
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 09:56

OzBiggles1963 wrote:I meant to ask....have you finished watching the Wings episodes yet?

No. Making it last, Alan's still lost in France. I may well do the next episode tonight though, its about time for one.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 16 Feb 2014, 09:58

Tommy Smith wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:

What! Oh good grief.... all that wasted time when I should have been doing something productive :o :oops:

Isn't that what you've been doing? :groucho:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 10:04

Tommy Smith wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:I meant to ask....have you finished watching the Wings episodes yet?
No. Making it last, Alan's still lost in France. I may well do the next episode tonight though, its about time for one.

You should! ;)

At the risk of hijacking my own thread [lol], last night on Youtube I discovered an old Twilight Zone episode from 1959, involving time travel & a 'lost' English pilot from WW1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6RltYf_Sk
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 16 Feb 2014, 11:03

I thought this all sounded rather familiar...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=357
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Stephen King - The Outsider

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 12:05

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I thought this all sounded rather familiar...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=357

Ah, & also explains my feeling of deja vu too. :D [knew I'd read it somewhere before, but couldn't find 'Robert A. Little' via the search field on the forum].
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 21:14

Fairblue wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:

And from me, too. :banana:

Thank you FB. Any excuse to get the banana out, eh!
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Feb 2014, 21:18

Oh, Good Lord. How stressful is that?
No! Triggers, No! Taking your sling off and flying off alone is only going to end in disaster. What is he like?
Flipping court cases, that's me stressed out completely. Be another few months before I venture another episode....
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 16 Feb 2014, 21:30

I don't know how you can spin it out so long… I admire your self-control :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 16 Feb 2014, 21:31

Tommy Smith wrote:
Fairblue wrote:And from me, too. :banana:

Thank you FB. Any excuse to get the banana out, eh!

Love that banana,! :bounce:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 17 Feb 2014, 09:36

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
At the risk of hijacking my own thread [lol], last night on Youtube I discovered an old Twilight Zone episode from 1959, involving time travel & a 'lost' English pilot from WW1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6RltYf_Sk

Yes you are taking thread hi-jacking to new heights.
This was a bit 'Matter of Life and Death'. Of the other pilot mentioned, French schoolchildren of the time were apparently taught that Guynemer had flown so high he couldn't come back down again. Interesting also to see the late 50 airfield.
Nice to see they had the actor swing the massive prop and not just jump it and start it.

I do rather wonder if some of the pilots that turn up in vintage aircraft, like the one yesterday, have 'dropped in' from another time entirely. :D
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 17 Feb 2014, 10:26

Tommy Smith wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote: At the risk of hijacking my own thread [lol], last night on Youtube I discovered an old Twilight Zone episode from 1959, involving time travel & a 'lost' English pilot from WW1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6RltYf_Sk
Yes you are taking thread hi-jacking to new heights. This was a bit 'Matter of Life and Death'. Of the other pilot mentioned, French schoolchildren of the time were apparently taught that Guynemer had flown so high he couldn't come back down again. Interesting also to see the late 50 airfield. Nice to see they had the actor swing the massive prop and not just jump it and start it. I do rather wonder if some of the pilots that turn up in vintage aircraft, like the one yesterday, have 'dropped in' from another time entirely. :D

Yes, there were a few authentic & 'nostalgic' moments in the clip. I've read numerous WW1 bios & Guynemer's is fascinating, especially all the injuries & crashes he endured, & survived! Then just disappeared...
As far as the Twilight Zone episode goes, it would have been a good scene to see the pilot talk to his old 'wing-man' [in 1959] before going back 42 yrs to save his life. :D
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby agricola » 19 Nov 2015, 21:12

I know they weren't aces, but there are two Australian airmen from WW1 of whom I would fain know more - Lieutenants Parer and M'Intosh, known to me only by the long narrative poem 'Sing We The Two Lieutenants...' in Cecil Day Lewis's A Time To Dance. Is there anything else known about them? Surely their incredible feat (they flew a beat-up war-surplus DH9 from England to Australia, taking several months over the enterprise) must have been more thoroughly documented - did either of them publish an account?

If you don't know the poem, I'll try to give you a taste by quoting the Envoi, the last few lines intended to sum up the whole thing:

What happened then, the roar and rave of waving crowds
That feted them, was only an afterglow of glory
Reflected on the clouds where they had climbed alone,
Day's golden epilogue; and them, whose meteor path
Lightened our eyes, whose great spirit lifted the fog
That sours a doubtful earth, the stars commemorate.

Regards
John
agricola
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 20 Nov 2015, 02:51

I've read a little bit about Parer, especially with regard to his 1934 involvement in the MacRobertson Air Race from England to Australia [this time paired up with a fellow called Geoff Hemsworth]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Parer

There's also photos of his plane from the 1920 'race' on the Australian War Memorial site: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P00281.020/

Parer had a remarkable life & was involved much later in New Guinea as a pioneering aviator, quite a few references in this link to biographical info:
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/parer-r ... -paul-7951
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 20 Nov 2015, 02:59

A brief bio of Lieutenant John Cowe MCIntosh, sadly killed in a plane crash in Western Australia in 192 [he served at Gallipoli as an enlisted man before joining the AFC]:
http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/ ... e-mcintosh
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to About