Biggles Takes Charge: one of the best?

Discuss a Biggles book!

Re: Biggles Takes Charge: one of the best?

Postby Fairblue » 22 Sep 2018, 14:30

I actually don't mind being called by my first name, if I am asked first. It's when it's done without permission that winds me up, especially from a stranger.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Sep 2018, 15:17

I have never actually gone by my real first name and sometimes forget to answer to it, which is embarrassing in some situations. “Oh wait. Yes that is me.”
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby alderaanian » 22 Sep 2018, 16:40

Tracer wrote:I've recently been in hospital and found it most disconcerting to be addressed by all staff using my first name. Scope for a mix-up, I think, if sharing a ward with someone else of the same name.

Sorry to hear that! Healthcare workers should ideally ask "how would you like me to address you?" but I think this question hasn't really caught on. Hope you are well.

kylie_koyote wrote:I have never actually gone by my real first name and sometimes forget to answer to it, which is embarrassing in some situations.

Oh really? Like Ginger? :)
(And perhaps Biggles forgets too when he gets called by it. Seems likely there might be some moments of "Oh yes, that is me", too!)
alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 22 Sep 2018, 17:40

I wonder if he ever minded just being called Ginger? Some red heads might prefer a more personal approach, so to speak. Like being addressed by their name, for example.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Frecks » 22 Sep 2018, 18:40

I think Ginger had almost forgotten his real name. When he first meets Biggles he says "not so much of the Ginger my name is Hebbletwaite" obviously trying to sound grown up by just giving his surname.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby CaptWilks » 23 Sep 2018, 00:42

Traveling OS after getting my PhD, I was paged at an airport, "Paging Dr Wilks". Took sometime before I realised they were calling me!
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Kismet » 23 Sep 2018, 00:51

CaptWilks wrote:Traveling OS after getting my PhD, I was paged at an airport, "Paging Dr Wilks". Took sometime before I realised they were calling me!

Love that!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby CaptWilks » 23 Sep 2018, 05:16

Kismet wrote:
CaptWilks wrote:Traveling OS after getting my PhD, I was paged at an airport, "Paging Dr Wilks". Took sometime before I realised they were calling me!

Love that!

In Oz, we tend to be casual about titles, most of the time.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 23 Sep 2018, 05:38

In Oz, we tend to be casual about titles, most of the time.[/quote]

Yes, at my University (and this is pretty much the case everywhere, not just in Australia these days) it doesn't matter if you're a Professor, Doctor, whatever, you're called by your first name, unless it's for some formal function. And Academic dress only comes out for Graduation or other formal occasions.
Anybody insisting on being called by their title will soon get what-for!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby Tracer » 23 Sep 2018, 10:27

For those who asked - and apologies as I don't want to derail the thread - yes I was asked date of birth every time anything was given/taken, and perfectly okay with that, though I was in two consecutive hospitals, then back to the first, and at no time could anybody find my notes. I was also asked the same questions on lifestyle so-many-times by so-many-different-people, even though I was very ill at one stage and had other priorities.

Recovery will be slow but progressing along nicely. Thank you for caring. :cheers: :acake:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 24 Sep 2018, 08:56

Tracer wrote:For those who asked - and apologies as I don't want to derail the thread - yes I was asked date of birth every time anything was given/taken, and perfectly okay with that, though I was in two consecutive hospitals, then back to the first, and at no time could anybody find my notes. I was also asked the same questions on lifestyle so-many-times by so-many-different-people, even though I was very ill at one stage and had other priorities.

Recovery will be slow but progressing along nicely. Thank you for caring. :cheers: :acake:

Oh dear, Tracer, this does not sound good. Many good wishes for your recovery. :merry:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 24 Sep 2018, 11:56

Best wishes, Tracer.

On the subject of doctorships, my husband never uses his on a plane, as he's terrified of being asked to deal with an medical emergency and doesn't feel his Ph.D would help much
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 24 Sep 2018, 22:47

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:Best wishes, Tracer.

On the subject of doctorships, my husband never uses his on a plane, as he's terrified of being asked to deal with an medical emergency and doesn't feel his Ph.D would help much

Yes indeed, all the best, Tracer.

The only time I purposely used it was when we were applying for a housing loan - it seemed to work! But now it's on all our bits of plastic, which I'm not keen on. I've certainly never made it known on a plane, either!

But anyway, back to Takes Charge... :backtotopic:
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby Kismet » 24 Sep 2018, 22:52

Tracer wrote:For those who asked - and apologies as I don't want to derail the thread - yes I was asked date of birth every time anything was given/taken, and perfectly okay with that, though I was in two consecutive hospitals, then back to the first, and at no time could anybody find my notes. I was also asked the same questions on lifestyle so-many-times by so-many-different-people, even though I was very ill at one stage and had other priorities.

Hope you feel much better very soon and recover faster than predicted.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Previous

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books