Biggles and the Fast Track Trainee

RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative

Biggles and the Fast Track Trainee

Postby Kismet » 08 Sep 2018, 23:50

It had been some time since the debacle of the 'Take your Daughters to Work Day' and Human Resources had a new head, the previous one having managed to obtain early retirement accompanied by a suspiciously generous pension. Frowning, the new one looked through the paperwork left by his predecessor. It was late, on a Friday afternoon.

'Why is there a warning sticker attached to the Air Police Department?' he demanded, 'Why should they be exempt from ever having a student or trainee? That's ridiculous in this day and age. I don't care if it's misogyny or the old boy network or what, but it stops right now. Make sure that the present crop of fast track trainees spend some time in this department. If they are going to rise to Senior Management levels, they will need experience of all the offices, including the little, odd ones. What about the lad who's coming in next week? He's meant to be starting with Cybercrime, but they've all got the Novo virus. Send him to SAP, instead.'

It was unfortunate that the HR assistant was also relatively new and that Raymond was to be attending a week long conference in the States that next week, and so had already left the office. Ginger, alone in the SAP office, received the message that Horace Jones would be joining them at 9am on Monday morning.

'That's nice,' he thought. 'It'll be fun to have someone new around for a few days.'
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: Biggles and the Fast Track Trainee

Postby Fairblue » 09 Sep 2018, 06:35

On the ball for once, Ginger looked through all the paperwork which had come with the message. Horace, it seemed, was to be treated exactly as a full member of the SAP, with no exceptions.

"I wonder if he can shoot?" Mused Ginger, thoughtfully, "and if he has a pilot's licence?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby tiffinata » 09 Sep 2018, 09:46

"He might have some skill with wrangling octopi, " Ginger began to warm to his subject.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Kismet » 09 Sep 2018, 13:12

Ginger enjoyed a pleasurable moment, imagining himself instructing the new boy in how to escape from the clutches of octopi.

'Now, if you poke it just there, under its beak, it will let you go. Obviously, you have to take care and not be bitten. And you've got to be sure it's an octopus: you have to treat giant squid quite differently.'

Ginger sighed pleasurably. A thought struck him. Maybe the new boy would like filing? There was rather a lot to do. They'd only recently returned from the Near East and the copies of Flight had built up in their absence..
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Sep 2018, 13:23

By the time he headed home that evening, he was feeling quite good about this news.

Biggles, lounging in a chair by the fire with a good book, was less enthused.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Kismet » 09 Sep 2018, 13:34

'I'm surprised Raymond didn't mention it before he left, but I suppose he was busy with his conference stuff,' Biggles frowned. 'Let's hope that the boy likes filing.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby StoneRoad » 09 Sep 2018, 14:32

"You can tell Algy and Bertie when they get back" Biggles said, adding a mental note to speak to both Raymond and HR at the first opportunity.
StoneRoad
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: The Last Fighting Tommy (Harry Patch)
Reading now: Spitfire Girls
Reading next: Greenhouse info & seed catalogues
My top chap: that would be telling !
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Lancaster
Random: Forewarned is forearmed

Postby Fairblue » 09 Sep 2018, 14:46

"Hang on, though," Biggles let his book drop, "I rather think there's something in the job description about needing to be a qualified pilot. I'll have a look."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 09 Sep 2018, 14:51

'Why does a fast track trainee, coming to us for a week's job experience, have to be a qualified pilot?' Ginger asked. 'There are lots of people in our department that aren't, Smyth for one.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 09 Sep 2018, 16:14

"You have a good point there," Biggles conceded, "But he doesn't operate in the field. I think, although I will need to check, that I made the point that field operatives were to be fully qualified pilots."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 09 Sep 2018, 16:18

'Ooh, have we got a job on?' Ginger enthused. 'I thought we'd be stuck in the office for a while. Where are we going? Do I need to pack my long underpants or my short ones?'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 09 Sep 2018, 16:32

"No, we don't, at present,have a job on. I just need to be prepared if we're called away at short notice."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 09 Sep 2018, 16:35

'Well, there's nothing I can do until Monday,' Biggles grumbled. 'Those lazy so and sos in HR work Monday to Friday and 9 to 5 so I can't get hold of them and Raymond will be somewhere over the Atlantic and left instructions that he wasn't to be disturbed unless it was an A1 emergency, which this isn't. I suppose we'll have to give the lad something to do until I can check the details with HR.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Return to RPGs, Quizzes, and Games