The Rematch

Members writing in the style and using the characters of W.E.J. (Fan Fiction)

The Rematch

Postby SopwithCamel » 21 Jun 2018, 14:14

Following years of neglect and much gentle reminding, I am finally (finally) coming back to this story :oops: Frequent readers of these forums may know this tale by its more common name of "The One Where Algy Goes to Jail"

(Yes. I'm finally getting him out. Yay.

...or not :twisted: Yay.)

There's quite a bit of backstory to this one, so I'm going to be posting up the first few chapters to The Algy Chronicles all through next week so everyone can get reacquainted, and then will be continuing the rest here (because I like reading section by section comments).
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Re: The Rematch

Postby Kismet » 21 Jun 2018, 14:17

:dancingbananas: :bananadevil: :bananadevil: :pianonana: :mexican:

It is possible that this news is making me happy. Just a titchy little bit.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 21 Jun 2018, 14:17

SopwithCamel wrote:Following years of neglect and much gently reminding, I am finally (finally) coming back to this story :oops: Frequent readers of these forums may know this tale by its more common name of "The One Where Algy Goes to Jail"

(Yes. I'm finally getting him out. Yay.

...or not :twisted: Yay.)

There's quite a bit of backstory to this one, so I'm going to be posting up the first few chapters to The Algy Chronicles all through next week so everyone can get reacquainted, and then will be continuing the rest here (because I like reading section by section comments).

Cancer not have it all on here, Soppy, please???
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby SopwithCamel » 21 Jun 2018, 14:34

Fairblue wrote:Can not have it all on here, Soppy, please???

Not sure what this means, FB, but I'm assuming that you're asking if I can simply post the whole backstory here?

I'm not against it, but there're 18 A4 pages of it and I don't know if people would want to wade through it?

If people are willing to, I can start posting it here.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 21 Jun 2018, 14:57

SopwithCamel wrote:
Fairblue wrote:Can not have it all on here, Soppy, please???

Not sure what this means, FB, but I'm assuming that you're asking if I can simply post the whole backstory here?

I'm not against it, but there're 18 A4 pages of it and I don't know if people would want to wade through it?

Sorry, you're right, that should be 'can we not have it all on here' :oops:

Pretty please, Soppy? :pray: I would have to read it through again anyway, and you can't really only have a bit of it on the forum; we might need to go back and sigh again over Algy's dilemma.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jun 2018, 16:53

I vote in favor of posting the entire story.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby SopwithCamel » 21 Jun 2018, 16:53

Point taken. :thinking2:

Does anyone else have any preference? I don't mind either way, but if it makes it easier to read then I'm all for it.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 21 Jun 2018, 16:54

Sorry, KK, posted over you.

But vote noted!
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby StoneRoad » 21 Jun 2018, 17:03

To me, a relative newcomer to the site, posting the whole caboodle would be preferable, as everything would then be in one place.
StoneRoad
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: The Last Fighting Tommy (Harry Patch)
Reading now: Spitfire Girls
Reading next: Greenhouse info & seed catalogues
My top chap: that would be telling !
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Lancaster
Random: Forewarned is forearmed

Postby Kismet » 21 Jun 2018, 17:47

I think I'd like it in one place, too, Soppy. Start again with it so you get the comments section by section here. I promise not to re-read it until you post it here.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Tracer » 21 Jun 2018, 18:05

I'd like it all in one here as well, please. :acake:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 21 Jun 2018, 18:29

Tracer wrote:I'd like it all in one here as well, please. :acake:

Er, ditto! :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby SopwithCamel » 22 Jun 2018, 04:39

Okay chaps, fair enough :lol:

Here we go, then.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 22 Jun 2018, 04:39

Captain Algy Lacey leaned back in his chair and basked in the warm rays of sunshine pouring down on his face. He reached for the glass of iced lemonade at his elbow and sipped leisurely at it.

Monte Carlo was a very pleasant place to spend one’s summer, he reflected, with a little sigh of contentment.

He had originally come to Monte Carlo to assist his Aunt Sara with his sister Gwen’s “season”, but having no knowledge whatsoever of dresses, hats, or shoes, he had politely but firmly been requested to stay away from the proceedings, the result being that he was now left to his own devices.

“Enjoying the sun, Lacey?” called a cheerful voice.

Algy raised his head slightly and grinned up at the speaker. “Hullo, Charles. Been for a swim?”

“Yes; the water’s lovely today—you should have a go. Do you fancy a game of tennis, or would you rather stay here and be burnt to a crisp?”

“Tennis suits me,” replied Algy, rising languidly from his chair. “Give me a few minutes to get changed, and I’ll meet you down at the courts. They’ll be starting lunch in about fifteen minutes, so we should have the place to ourselves.”

“Righto,” said Charles. “See you later, then."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 22 Jun 2018, 04:40

Algy, dressed in his tennis shorts and carrying his tennis racquet, made his way down to the courts, and was delighted to discover that they were, as he had hoped, empty. Charles, casually swinging his own racquet around, waved a greeting as Algy hurried up.

They tossed for sides, and the game quickly commenced with Algy serving. He got to thirty-love on aces, and then Charles started to show his backhand, and Algy had to work for his points.

For three-quarters of an hour they went back and forth, with Algy and Charles winning alternate games until the score stood at four to three in Algy’s favor. An audience had begun to gather by this time, and each move was greeted with loud applause.

Algy was about to return Charles’ serve with a backhand blow when he heard someone on the sidelines calling his name. “Algy!”

It took him a few seconds to locate the source of the voice as his sister Gwen’s. She had squeezed her way to the front and was looking agitated. “Where have you been?” she hissed, as Algy waved a quick apology to Charles and went to her. “Aunt Sara’s been frantic; she’s looking for you everywhere!”

“Why, what’s the matter?”

Gwen huffed out an impatient breath. “Don’t you remember? We’re supposed to have lunch with that French ambassador or someone who’s a great friend of hers. You promised you’d be there, Algy, it’s really too bad of you.”

“I’m sorry,” said Algy apologetically. “I completely forgot. Where are they now?”

“They’re taking a walk around the hotel gardens, so you should have time to clean yourself up before you join them. Come on, give me your racquet.”

Algy excused himself from Charles and was gathering up his things when a jovial youth clutching a small notebook approached him. “I say, Lacey,” he said.

“Sorry,” returned Algy, “I’m in a bit of a hurry, must dash.”

“This’ll just take a minute, I swear. Look, we’ve—me and some of the other lads—have arranged a sort of tennis tournament. Quite informal, of course. The thing starts tomorrow and we haven’t been able to get hold of you. Do you want me to put your name down?”

“Right; good,” muttered Algy distractedly. “That sounds all right.”

And gathering up his things, he rushed away.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 22 Jun 2018, 08:16

Oh joy of joys! Algy is playing tennis and trying to stay out of the way of his female relatives. Thank you, Soppy.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 22 Jun 2018, 09:03

Kismet wrote:Oh joy of joys! Algy is playing tennis and trying to stay out of the way of his female relatives. Thank you, Soppy.

My sentiments exactly, Kismet.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 22 Jun 2018, 15:39

“Well,” said Algy, grinning at his opponent. “This is different.”

Charles, on the other side of the net, grinned back. “It certainly is.”

It was the next day, and the informal tennis tournament had begun. Interestingly, Algy and Charles had been chosen to play together for the first round, and the winner of their round would go on to play with the winner of the game being played on the neighboring court.

“We can continue on from where we left off yesterday,” remarked Charles lightly. “When you ran away from my marvelous backhand.”

“As I recall,” said Algy, raising his eyebrows, “I was winning that game.”

The referee arrived at that moment, and they both retired to their respective sides of the net, and Algy took a brief look around and saw many members of the audience whispering to each other, presumably laying bets.

It was Charles’ turn to serve, and as the ball came flying over to Algy, he instantly tuned out everything else around him and dived forward to meet it.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 23 Jun 2018, 11:36

Algy was lagging behind with two games to Charles’ four, and they had called a brief halt so that the audience could disperse to get more drinks. He wandered over to the sidelines and was waylaid by his friend Marcus.

“You’d better win,” said Marcus jokingly. “I’ve got a hundred pounds riding on this game.”

“I certainly shall do my best to lose then,” replied Algy. “I shall enjoy the thought of someone winning your life’s earnings.”

They bantered for a few minutes more, and then Marcus remarked, “Where’s Charles gone? He’s been quite a while.”

“He said he was going to get some water,” replied Algy, equally puzzled by the prolonged absence of his partner. “The referee’s back already, and he’s looking a bit annoyed.”

“Maybe we should go look for him,” suggested Marcus.

“Yes. Let’s.”

They searched for the better part of a quarter of an hour, and, finding no one who could tell them of Charles’ whereabouts, returned to the court. Most of the bored audience had turned their attention the other game by this time, and there were only a handful of loiterers on Algy’s court when he walked back.

Algy recognized one of the men on the court as the manager of his hotel, looking agitated and confused. He caught hold of Algy’s arm as soon as he saw him, and stared blankly at the young airman for a minute before stammering out that there were some gentlemen who wished to talk with Algy in the manager’s office.

Algy shrugged, and followed the little man down to his office. He was surprised when the manager ushered him into the office and then scampered away, leaving him alone in the office with whoever it was that wanted to speak to him, but when his eyes fell on the guests he instantly understood.

“Monsieur Lacey,” greeted the taller of the two men, in fluent French, “I am Detective Garrent, and this is my colleague, Detective Moreau. We would like to speak to you about Monsieur Charles.”

Algy sat down in the chair offered to him. “Charles?” he repeated wonderingly. “Why, what’s the matter with him? Is he all right?”

Non, Monsieur,” replied Detective Moreau, grim-faced. “He is not all right. He has just been murdered in his own room.”
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jun 2018, 13:06

SopwithCamel wrote:Algy sat down in the chair offered to him. “Charles?” he repeated wonderingly. “Why, what’s the matter with him? Is he all right?”

Non, Monsieur,” replied Detective Moreau, grim-faced. “He is not all right. He has just been murdered in his own room.”

Uh-oh! Trouble ahead.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 23 Jun 2018, 13:51

For some reason I heard that last statement by Detective Moreau in Hercule Poirot's voice, lol. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Foolscap » 23 Jun 2018, 14:14

Oh, this is worrying.
Some very nice touches.
"If you're going to leave the beaten track the first thing is to make sure you've got your sense of humour with you."
--Biggles on Mystery Island.
Foolscap
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SopwithCamel » 23 Jun 2018, 14:23

“Murdered?” cried Algy. “But—he was as right as rain just a few minutes ago! How did it happen?”

“He was battered to death with a tennis racquet,” was the solemn reply, from Moreau.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Algy’s lips twitched. He tried to cover it up with his hand, but apparently not quick enough to escape the detectives’ notice. “This is not an amusing matter, Monsieur.”

“I know, I know.” With an effort, Algy guiltily suppressed the desire to burst out laughing. “Well, were there any witnesses? Or do you have any suspects?”

Oui.” Moreau’s face was set like stone as his eyes bore into Algy’s. “We have heard that you and Monsieur Charles were having a little bet, yes? On a tennis match?”

“Not exactly,” replied Algy. “We were both playing in an informal tennis tournament, and some of our friends were betting on us to win.”

“I see.” There was a pause, and the detective continued, “and a few minutes ago he was playing in this tournament with you, yes?”

“Yes.”

“And you were losing?”

“In a manner of speaking. He was four games to my two.”

“I see,” said Moreau again. He looked down at his notepad, and then raised his eyes to Algy’s. “Perhaps, Monsieur,” he said softly, “you would not mind coming down with us to the station to answer some more questions.”

“What? Why?”

“You may have a solicitor present if you wish it.”

“A solicitor?” repeated Algy incredulously. “Am I under arrest?”

The answer seemed to be a long time in coming. Both detectives looked at him with various degrees of pity, and finally Garrent said, “Oui, Monsieur. We are arresting you for the murder of Monsieur Charles.”
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jun 2018, 17:26

SopwithCamel wrote:

The answer seemed to be a long time in coming. Both detectives looked at him with various degrees of pity, and finally Garrent said, “Oui, Monsieur. We are arresting you for the murder of Monsieur Charles.”

What have you done, Soppy? The French used the guillotine, so you'd better get him to prove his innocence as quickly as possible.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 23 Jun 2018, 17:31

I'll get my knitting.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jun 2018, 17:39

Tracer wrote:I'll get my knitting.

:imao:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 23 Jun 2018, 18:37

Fairblue wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:

What have you done, Soppy? The French used the guillotine, so you'd better get him to prove his innocence as quickly as possible.

It didn't take long for Algy to find himself in jeopardy. Whose tennis racket was used to murder poor Charles? Do the police need Biggles to come along to tell them what to do?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 24 Jun 2018, 14:48

Algy arrived at the police station and was invited to wait in a small room without windows for a senior officer. He was not wearing a watch, so he only had a vague idea of time passing; however, he estimated that he had been waiting for over a quarter of an hour when the door swung open and he was escorted to another room that seemed to be an office.

There was a large desk that took up most of the room, and the two detectives Algy had already met were seated around this, facing a third man. This man appeared to be senior to them, for it was he that the two detectives glanced at when Algy was brought in.

"Here," protested Algy, as the three men seated themselves. "What's the meaning of all this?"

"I am sure that it has been explained to you, Monsieur," replied the stranger, "that you are currently under arrest for the murder of--"

"Yes, yes," interrupted Algy. "But the thing is, I didn't do it."

"That is for us to find out," was the cold reply.

"But what are you planning to do with me in the meantime?" demanded Algy.

The officer smiled. "I should have thought that that was obvious, Monsieur. We will be putting you in jail."

"But..." spluttered Algy. "But..."

"You will be allowed to make one phone call," announced Monreau. "To any friends or relatives who may be worried about you."

"But..."

"I suggest you make your call now," continued the detective, gesturing to the telephone in the corner of the room.

"But..." Algy helplessly took up the receiver and stared at it as if he had never seen a telephone before. "But who does one usually call in...circumstances…such as these?"

Moreau looked at him pityingly. "Someone who can help you, Monsieur."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 24 Jun 2018, 14:49

Algy picked up the telephone and dialled a number from memory. "Hello?" he queried, as a voice on the other end answered him.

The voice sounded sleepy and not a little surprised as it said, "Aren't you supposed to be on somebody's yacht?"

"No. I'm in jail. Or, at least, I will be in a minute."

"Why? What have you done?"

"Nothing! That's the problem."

There was a pause, and then the voice said, cautiously, "And what do you want me to do about it?"

"Do about it?" cried Algy. "What do you think I want you to do about it? Come over here and help me out of a jam, of course! What'd you think I called you for?"
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 24 Jun 2018, 17:25

Yes! What a sensible phone call to make, Algy. You've done the right thing.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Next

Return to Writing W.E.J. style