One Last Scene from "Goes Home"

Members writing in the style and using the characters of W.E.J. (Fan Fiction)

Re: One Last Scene from "Goes Home"

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2018, 20:06

{Moving on...}

As the flow of arguments swirled around him and the drumming and slogan- shouting ebbed and swelled outside, Ginger rolled a desperate - and despairing- eye at his comrades.

To his disgust, none of them seemed fully engaged with his plight. Bertie was energetically polishing his eyeglass as he lent an ear to the Mirza's erudite ramblings. Algy had procured another cup of masala tea from Sunil and was sipping it with relish, apparently concentrating on deciphering its myriad tastes.

Worst, in Ginger's morose opinion, was Biggles, now deep in conversation with the girls in the rear of the big room, and evidently oblivious to any appeals directed at him. Even as Ginger glowered at his back, Biggles glanced around, ignored his smouldering protege, and made eye contact with the SHO and the Mirza in turn.

Responding to that urgent look both men rose from their places and joined the low-voiced conversation at the back of the room. Around the desk, the Mirza's abrupt move left Bertie isolated amidst the patriarchal elements who now began to dominate the talking. Algy finished his tea, placed the cup on the desk with exaggerated care and gently rested his head on his hands again, balancing his elbows on the desk.

"Huh! I know that pose! He's either feeling all the drinks he polished off at the hotel behind our backs, or he's just catching forty winks," decided Ginger uncharitably in his mind, before returning his irate glare to focus on Biggles' back.

He was just beginning to feel the thump of a worsening headache and wondering how much longer this (most unsatisfactory) state of affairs would continue, when the group at the back broke up. The SHO and the Mirza returned to their former seats.

Ginger waited glumly for Biggles to follow suit and for the suspended arguments to resume. To his astonishment, it was the two girls who came forward, stopping beside the SHO's chair, a little to one side. Biggles came up to stand just behind them.

"As if he's protecting them, when he should be protecting me," thought Ginger miserably.

Looking up at his chief, in the light of the overhead light that had been switched on by the helpful Sunil, Ginger was slightly unnerved to see that the curious inscrutable expression was back on Biggles' face.

Resigned to what he now perceived as an inescapable fate, Ginger held his breath.
Last edited by Indian Civil Service on 17 Sep 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Sep 2018, 20:08

Oh my - unlike Ginger, I trust Biggles has worked out something satisfactory for everyone involved.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2018, 20:13

Tibetan mastiffs and Bhotiyas have a reputation for being fearless, and two of them can successfully take on a leopard, so the herdsmen keep them in iron-spiked collars. My girl is only 7 months old, but already leading the two golden boys into trouble. As for leopards, I believe one recently took unauthorised leave of absence from the zoo, probably to visit its local cousins occupying the woods...in that sense the street gang is our local band of anti-leopard vigilantes and I've discovered they mostly like cookies, being a mix of collared pets and regular streeties.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2018, 20:14

kylie_koyote wrote:Oh my - unlike Ginger, I trust Biggles has worked out something satisfactory for everyone involved.

Aha...but is Biggles the only one?
More coming up ASAP.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 17 Sep 2018, 21:43

Oooh, what is Biggles up to? This is most interesting.

I'm fascinated by you having wild leopards nearby. It's very exciting.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 18 Sep 2018, 07:18

Lovely, lovely descriptions, ICC. I especially like:

Algy finished his tea, placed the cup on the desk with exaggerated care and gently rested his head on his hands again, balancing his elbows on the desk.

"Huh! I know that pose! He's either feeling all the drinks he polished off at the hotel behind our backs, or he's just catching forty winks," decided Ginger uncharitably in his mind, before returning his irate glare to focus on Biggles' back.

Algy knows he is, at present, superfluous to requirements and sees absolutely no need in exerting himself in any way. A very sensible man.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Previous

Return to Writing W.E.J. style