Contemporary London Flats

Air Police stuff, What injuries did they have, Story timeline, How popular was Biggles, Mount Street floor plan, etc.

Re: Contemporary London Flats

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Sep 2018, 15:51

They have air mattresses by “in Australia” (at least) as well.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 15 Sep 2018, 16:05

Yes I had forgotten about them. There seem to be plenty of options but WEJ does not give any indication of the size or layout of the flat except on a couple of occasions which really just causes more confusion.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 15 Sep 2018, 19:30

Patricia Wentworth Anne Belinda 1928

Three rooms in London flats described here. The second two are in the same flat. Both flats belong to women.

The room was not at all like any room he had seen before. Walls, floor and ceiling, curtains woodwork and chair-covers were all of one even shade of grey – and that not the bluish grey which is called French, but the real, pure grey which comes from the equal mixture of black and white. Against this neutral background the few contrasting objects took on an added value. There were cushions of half a dozen shades of purple, from violet to cyclamen; there was a bright green clock on the mantelpiece, flanked by tall green candlesticks; on one long, bare wall there hung an etching of a black pine tree bending in the wind.

At one-thirty he found Aurora most incongruously surrounded by gimcrack gilt furniture and delicate watercolours, her massive feet firmly planted on a rose coloured Aubusson carpet.

The dining room was next door, a little white room with ebony furniture, black carpet, black curtains and a black bowl in the middle of the table, in which floated an artificial water lily, rather dirty at the edges.

There is black and white china to match the dining room.

This second flat doesn’t belong to Aurora. She has borrowed it from a friend who has gone up to Scotland. This seems to be quite a casual arrangement: 'I'm not going to be there but you can stay at my place anyway.'

I rather like the idea of a grey room with splashes of colour, but I don't think I could live in it myself.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tracer » 16 Sep 2018, 10:40

Kismet wrote:
This is rather a dull document, but it goes through every house on Mount St, saying what the plot used to be, when it was re-developed, who the architects were etc.

That's a handsome find, Kismet - thank you!

The Patricia Wentworth flat sounds ultra-on-trend for the time. Not a decor I would like either, but after many years of living with other people's taste in design, I've known far worse.

A friend of mine moved 20 years ago from a big London flat to a country cottage, and his furniture is lovely Art Deco in yew wood and cut velvet.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Frecks » 16 Sep 2018, 11:51

I was watching a TV programme about the Victorian era last night and it was amazing what facilities the upper classes had even then. I think the early part of the 20th Century was very definitely divided into the rich and the poor with the rich having access to quite a lot of modern conveniences and the poor carrying on in the same way as the Victorians for quite a few years. The programme showed how the introduction of gas street lighting and then gas piped into houses made a big difference in the towns but in rural areas things hardly changed at all.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Leo

Previous

Return to General discussions about Biggles & Co.