The Chat Thread

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: The Chat Thread

Postby Tommy Smith » 10 Sep 2018, 09:39

Well thats the end of another Goodwood Revival, what a completely top class event. Absolutely stunning racing.
Not many car chases in Biggles books but the sight of those three big cats fighting it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8-Wxvokf0
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 10 Sep 2018, 11:37

That was rather more exciting than F1. Did you attend Goodwood, TS?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tracer » 10 Sep 2018, 14:17

If anyone does, wave as you go by. Castle Tracer isn't far away.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 10 Sep 2018, 17:18

Kismet wrote:That was rather more exciting than F1. Did you attend Goodwood, TS?

I don't think I could. The disappointment of having to re enter the normal world would be too much for me.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Sep 2018, 02:57

I don’t know if the story about 50-70 houses blowing up due to a gas leak in three towns north of Boston has made the international news, but please rest assured that it is not near me. Our house and all of my relatives’ homes are fine.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 14 Sep 2018, 07:51

Yes I have just seen this on the news this morning and I thought of you immediately. Glad to hear you are OK. You are having a tough time on the East Coast at the moment with the hurricane as well.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Sep 2018, 11:34

Yes, it is very nerve-wracking. Thankfully my family is all OK and none of us live in the three affected towns. But they are frighteningly close - if you think of a clock, with downtown Boston at the center, my parents and I are roughly at 9, and my brother up north at 12. These three towns are at approximately 10 and 11 o'clock. It's very scary. The power company cut the power to the three towns, to reduce the risk of further explosions from a stray spark. It's still off this morning. People in all three towns have been ordered to evacuate - several hotels are offering free or reduced rooms. The schools are closed.

Tragically, one person has died as a result of these gas explosions. It was a young man who died when his car pulled into his driveway just as his house blew up and the chimney bricks fell onto the car. Several other people are seriously injured. It's just awful.

Fortunately the hurricane (this time at least!) is unlikely to impact us in Massachusetts. We had a bad one when my son was a tiny baby (7 or 8 weeks old) that was terrifying, so I am thankful this one is not close to us.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 14 Sep 2018, 11:42

According to the news over here the hurricane has hit land now - I hope it is not quite as bad as expected. The gas explosions sound absolutely dreadful and so unexpected.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 15:50

So I have a membership to a website called Fold3, which is military records and is sort of a sister-site to Ancestry.

On a whim, I decided to type in Bigglesworth.

And... ta da! Look what I found.

1851 Court Martial record for one Thomas Bigglesworth, who received a sentence for Desertion. I can't quite make out what his punishment was, but I zoomed way in and tried to read it... I think it says "42 Days HL" which I took to be hard labour. If you have a better guess, let me know what you think it says.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 16:16

While I was at it, I also typed in Hebblethwaite. There were a ton of results from Britain, Australia, Canada, and the USA, so I narrowed it down by "RAF" and I got three responses. First initials only - E., F.J., and M. Two drivers and a labourer. Maybe Ginger helped some of his cousins to get good placements. ;)

"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Sep 2018, 17:22

Now do W. E. Johns.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 21 Sep 2018, 17:40

Well done, KK. You must be the first person to type 'Bigglesworth' into a search engine and get a result.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 18:16

Tommy Smith wrote:Now do W. E. Johns.

Okay, I have done. There was also a William Edgar Johns, whose records were sort of jumbled up with William Earl Johns, but I think I have found a couple that belonged to our WEJ.

I shall post them in a separate and dedicated thread.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 21 Sep 2018, 18:59

Wow KK that is amazing.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 19:02

I am happy to check up on anybody's relations, if you're so interested, please PM me with their details and I'll see what I can turn up.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 25 Sep 2018, 21:00

Just been watching the Australian serial "Mystery Road" and have been struck about how little we see of Australia on British TV.
Then I thought how little we see of lots of places. Any child must think Africa was inhabited solely by lions and crocodiles. Where are the towns?
When was there last a programme about Holland or Cyprus? (you get my drift). If it comes to that where are all the non- scenic places in Britain? What about Bolton and Plymouth and Dudley and so on .
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Kismet » 25 Sep 2018, 21:32

My obscure northern village turns up occasionally on TV as (a) it is the start of the Coast to Coast walk so Tony Robinson was here for his series on famous walks, (b) it's on the coast so it's been mentioned on Coast, (c) they found a perfectly preserved mummy of a crusader buried in the Priory so there was a documentary on that. It might have turned up on Famous Railway Journeys as we lie on the Barrow Carlisle line which is very scenic.

I would think that this holds true for many, many obscure places in Britain: they get a brief passing mention because they possess something of note architecturally or were of historical importance or on the way to somewhere or someone famous was born there. Other, less salubrious spots turn up in docudramas on education or surviving on benefits or the obesity problem. It would be really interesting to go through a year's worth of say, BBC programmes, and see how many different places are mentioned, both home and abroad.
What would be classed as a mention? Name check, 30 seconds of footage?

I'm thinking about my viewing this week and, as I watch documentaries mostly, I think a lot of places both home and abroad would pop up. Can't think of anything in Holland, though.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Frecks » 26 Sep 2018, 07:58

Home Under The Hammer visits many towns and smaller villages as well as London - they tend to contrast the fantastic prices of the London properties with old, run down terraced houses in the former mining villages of the north of England. Antiques Road Trip visits areas all over the country most of them comparatively rural and they always have a little insert showing a museum or something of local historical interest.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 26 Sep 2018, 09:52

Frecks wrote:Home Under The Hammer visits many towns and smaller villages as well as London - they tend to contrast the fantastic prices of the London properties with old, run down terraced houses in the former mining villages of the north of England. Antiques Road Trip visits areas all over the country most of them comparatively rural and they always have a little insert showing a museum or something of local historical interest.

The Air Station Museum at Montrose featured inAntiques Road Trip and Countryfile
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Indian Civil Service » 26 Sep 2018, 17:17

kylie_koyote wrote:So I have a membership to a website called Fold3, which is military records and is sort of a sister-site to Ancestry.

On a whim, I decided to type in Bigglesworth.

And... ta da! Look what I found.

1851 Court Martial record for one Thomas Bigglesworth, who received a sentence for Desertion. I can't quite make out what his punishment was, but I zoomed way in and tried to read it... I think it says "42 Days HL" which I took to be hard labour. If you have a better guess, let me know what you think it says.

Great find... possibly one of the black sheep Biggles never talks about...
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby Tracer » 27 Sep 2018, 09:30

I think Hard Labour is a very likely deduction.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Previous

Return to Pilots Mess