Twyford Meeting

Events, meets, museums, places to go, please add your own suggestions

Re: Twyford Meeting

Postby Frecks » 14 Mar 2018, 16:53

That is good news FB. I just hope the weather has improved by then.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Fairblue » 14 Mar 2018, 16:56

Frecks wrote:That is good news FB. I just hope the weather has improved by then.

After my experience getting across to Kismet I'm sure it will be a breeze going down to London. One train there and one back, no changes, no worrying about missing connections.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 14 Mar 2018, 22:36

Fairblue wrote: :dancingbananas: :woohodance: I have today booked my travel and hotel. Now I can start getting all excited.

Yay| Looking forward to seeing you FB! :bananadevil: :woohodance: :pianonana:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 15 Mar 2018, 09:23

I have just had an idea. I would like to make a slide show of pictures showing one of our Group Builds. This being the Centenary year of the RAF, the 2016 Group Build would be most appropriate. I am therefore asking all those concerned if I may use your photoes in this way. I am always fascinated by the care and ingenuity that goes into these beautiful models and I am sure folk at Twyford who are not on this Forum will be amazed at what can be done.
So, VV, Wanderer, Babs, 266, Archie and Tiff, may I use your pictures for this? Archie, did you ever finish your S.E.5a?
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby tiffinata » 15 Mar 2018, 09:51

Ok with me
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Fairblue » 15 Mar 2018, 13:00

Spitfire666 wrote:I have just had an idea. I would like to make a slide show of pictures showing one of our Group Builds. This being the Centenary year of the RAF, the 2016 Group Build would be most appropriate. I am therefore asking all those concerned if I may use your photoes in this way. I am always fascinated by the care and ingenuity that goes into these beautiful models and I am sure folk at Twyford who are not on this Forum will be amazed at what can be done.
So, VV, Wanderer, Babs, 266, Archie and Tiff, may I use your pictures for this? Archie, did you ever finish your S.E.5a?

That is an excellent idea, S666. Something different.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Wanderer » 15 Mar 2018, 23:41

No problems here. I hope to post a picture of the finished Spitfire later today, though as I am about to be away for a fortnight I don't think I will have Bertie adequately painted to be part of the "build".
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Mar 2018, 18:05

Wanderer wrote:No problems here. I hope to post a picture of the finished Spitfire later today, though as I am about to be away for a fortnight I don't think I will have Bertie adequately painted to be part of the "build".

That's great Wanderer.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Biggles266 » 20 Mar 2018, 19:59

Hi all

I am looking forward to meeting those in the Forum attending Twyford this year.

Some quick information required:
What train do I take from London (and which station would probably help)?
How long will it take?
Is there a taxi service in Twyford?

Thanks
Traveller from the Antipodes (Biggles266)
Biggles266
-

Postby Spitfire666 » 20 Mar 2018, 20:10

Biggles266 wrote:Hi all

I am looking forward to meeting those in the Forum attending Twyford this year.

Some quick information required:
What train do I take from London (and which station would probably help)?
How long will it take?
Is there a taxi service in Twyford?

Thanks
Traveller from the Antipodes (Biggles266)

Hooray! That's great, and I very much look forward to seeing you there. There is a direct train from Paddington to Twyford that takes 48 mins. It only takes a few minutes to walk from the station. I will check about a taxi service and get back to you. Twyford is a very small place.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Mar 2018, 14:53

Today I mailed off my frame mat to Fairblue.

If you're going to be at the Twyford meeting, and you haven't already signed it, please do! Even lurkers or non-members! I love adding to it and I will post a photo of it when I get it back in July.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby archie » 24 Mar 2018, 00:03

S666, you're more than welcome to use my photos, but don't expect me to add to them as the SE5a is still on top of the wardrobe in much the same state. I can only hope Wilks isn't in too much of a hurry for it...

Biggles266, I will have a car-load of people and books on the way to Twyford but once I've dumped them at the hall I can fetch you from Twyford station if that's any help.

Must remember to put my booking form in now... :roll:
archie
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: That would be favouritism...

Postby Biggles266 » 25 Mar 2018, 00:13

Thanks Archie
As it's not far I'll probably walk but thanks for the offer.
Biggles266
-

Postby Fairblue » 11 Apr 2018, 10:13

Only two more days before I travel down to London to catch up with S666, archie and Lycaea for the Twyford meeting on Saturday. Getting a bit excited now. :bounce:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby StoneRoad » 11 Apr 2018, 10:31

Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.
Everybody have a good time !

The prior arrangements include helping to steward a long distance special train, and associated events ...

<snip>Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway.<snip>

Mostly I'll be acting as a runner, extra pair of hands, guide knowing answers (I hope!) and hopefully I'll get food and drink as well.
Just hope we have the quiet service car as one has a very noisy generator / fan.
I'll have the camera out as much as possible.
StoneRoad
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: B Hunts Big Game (1948)
Reading now: Greenhouse building info & seed packs
Reading next: Hornblower in the West Indies
My top chap: that would be telling !
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Lancaster
Random: Forewarned is forearmed

Postby VickersVandal » 11 Apr 2018, 10:48

By all means, please use my photos!

You're welcome to use anything from my site too if you wish.

I was wondering if this year's meeting was in July as I'll be in the U.K. but alas it's this weekend.
My Biggles Models display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
The forum Biggles model gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=18
VickersVandal
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Reading now: Biggles of 266, with the Lesser Vandal
Reading next: More WW1 short stories with the LV
My top chap: Dickpa
Starsign: Star of Bethlehem
Aircraft: The Vandal
Random: Zees is ze Trondheim Hammer Dance....

Postby Fairblue » 11 Apr 2018, 11:02

VickersVandal wrote:By all means, please use my photos!

I was wondering if this year's meeting was in July as I'll be in the U.K. but alas it's this weekend.

There are two, VV,one held in April in Twyford, another held in Oct in Derby.

There is also an unofficial one in July when KK is coming over on her way home from Spain with her family. Tiff and her two boys, archie, S666 and myself will be at Kismet's too. It's perhaps that one you are thinking of.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 11 Apr 2018, 11:06

Have a safe trip and a lovely time, and give my best to everyone.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 11 Apr 2018, 11:21

Fairblue wrote:Only two more days before I travel down to London to catch up with S666, archie and Lycaea for the Twyford meeting on Saturday. Getting a bit excited now. :bounce:

You're excited? I'm :banana: :bounce: :dance: :bluebounce: :woohodance:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby VickersVandal » 11 Apr 2018, 11:22

Fairblue wrote:
VickersVandal wrote:By all means, please use my photos!

There are two, VV,one held in April in Twyford, another held in Oct in Derby.

There is also an unofficial one in July when KK is coming over on her way home from Spain with her family. Tiff and her two boys, archie, S666 and myself will be at Kismet's too. It's perhaps that one you are thinking of.

Thanks FB. Yes, I was getting my wires crossed :oops:
My Biggles Models display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
The forum Biggles model gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=18
VickersVandal
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Reading now: Biggles of 266, with the Lesser Vandal
Reading next: More WW1 short stories with the LV
My top chap: Dickpa
Starsign: Star of Bethlehem
Aircraft: The Vandal
Random: Zees is ze Trondheim Hammer Dance....

Postby Spitfire666 » 11 Apr 2018, 11:23

StoneRoad wrote:Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.

The prior arrangements include helping to steward a long distance special train, and associated events ...

<snip>Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway.<snip>

Mostly I'll be acting as a runner, extra pair of hands, guide knowing answers (I hope!) and hopefully I'll get food and drink as well.
Just hope we have the quiet service car as one has a very noisy generator / fan.

Sorry you won't be joining us, StoneRoad, but it sounds like you will have a marvellous time on the train. :D

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby tiffinata » 11 Apr 2018, 11:24

Excited on everyone's behalf.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 11 Apr 2018, 14:40

Me too :D I am looking forward to hearing all about the Twyford meeting. I love the idea of showing photos of the models from the Forum. I hope you all have a great time.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 17 Apr 2018, 16:12

How did the meeting go? Did you show photos of the Forum models?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby StoneRoad » 17 Apr 2018, 16:27

Spitfire666 wrote:
StoneRoad wrote:Was hoping to make a late entry for this, but I can't, there is a prior task that can't be swerved.

Sorry you won't be joining us, StoneRoad, but it sounds like you will have a marvellous time on the train. :D

I hope your meeting was a success ... maybe next year I'll be able to join you ?
Train went very well, Thanks ! - we did get the noisier service car and there were a couple of other incidents, but overall it was great fun.
Unfortunately we needed to set off for home almost immediately the train got back, as the mother of a very close friend has died.
StoneRoad
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: B Hunts Big Game (1948)
Reading now: Greenhouse building info & seed packs
Reading next: Hornblower in the West Indies
My top chap: that would be telling !
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Lancaster
Random: Forewarned is forearmed

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Apr 2018, 17:14

Thanks, Frecks and StoneRoad. Yes, It was a good day. Among the talks we had Lycaea talking about the Swedish Biggles cover artists and John Lester with 'What happens to the Villains?' One non-Forum member (yes, there are a few!) had brought along a recording of a Biggles radio interview he gave a while back for a Glasgow station. (It was good to hear sensible comments about Johns and Biggles, so often interviews get it all wrong.) Biggles266 very kindly did the presentation on World War 1 models - :thumbup: I spoke about Biggles and my other great childhood hero Matt Braddock. We were very pleased to have organizer Joy back with us this year. (Joy has organized the meetings for nearly 30 years and last year was the first time that she had been unable to attend.) I handle the programme and Joy does everything else. Joy gave a talk about our heroes' mothers, or the lack thereof :P and Richard asked 'Whodunnit?' There were also the usual quiz to which I actually knew some of the answers :lol: and raffle and a puzzle. Joy had worked her usual magic and produced a lovely sunny day for us after all the dismal and cold weather we had had.
2816 This is the cake we had to celebrate the RAF's Centenary - sorry for my inexpert picture that cut off the heading!

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Apr 2018, 18:12

That sounds like a fantastic day! I'm quite envious.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 17 Apr 2018, 19:30

Very interesting topics. As far as I know Algy was the only member of the team whose mother was mentioned in the books as being alive and well and rather interfering :lol: I was wondering if Biggles 266 had made it to the meeting.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Apr 2018, 19:37

Frecks wrote:Very interesting topics. As far as I know Algy was the only member of the team whose mother was mentioned in the books as being alive and well and rather interfering :lol: I was wondering if Biggles 266 had made it to the meeting.

Joy was talking about other mothers as well.
Yes, it was great to see Biggles266 - we all enjoyed meeting with him. :cheers:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Previous

Return to Events