CARS

Aircraft, aviation. Flight simulators. Flight, flying, pilots, aircraft related or other hardware. Also automobiles, trains and ships

Re: CARS

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jun 2018, 09:31

Tracer wrote:My perception is that Bertie's Jag was garaged through the war because of the price of petrol, and brought out again after the Mount Street/Air Police time of life had become established. Therefore it would have the cachet of not being Boy Racer fashionable and slightly vulgar, like the E-type of the '60s. That was also the era of seeing plenty of what were then modern Jags holed up in lay-bys from overheated engines, so again I suspect Bertie's was an earlier model.

In. Spitfire Parade Bertie has an ancient Morris, which Taffy the Buster manages to write off with a tank.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tracer » 23 Jun 2018, 17:35

Tsk. Taffy was over-egging the cake a bit there. A motorcycle would probably have sufficed.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 23 Jun 2018, 18:28

Tommy Smith wrote:2148

This is a black and burgundy 60's Jaguar. I'm not sure how late the book was where Bertie had a black and red one but it always made me laugh when Biggles said 'Take Berties Jaguar not a police car.. we don't want to be noticed'.

How about this Jag for Bertie, posted on P1 of this thread?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jun 2018, 19:08

Tommy Smith wrote:2148

This is a black and burgundy 60's Jaguar. I'm not sure how late the book was where Bertie had a black and red one but it always made me laugh when Biggles said 'Take Berties Jaguar not a police car.. we don't want to be noticed'.

So Bertie's car must be less conspicuous than a police car, which presumably had blue lights.

Kismet wrote:How about this Jag for Bertie, posted on P1 of this thread?

Mr FB likes that very much. :D
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby 266 » 23 Jun 2018, 21:31

Excellent...we have discussion!

Re the two options offered in reply, we have to eliminate the red/black Jag from earlier as it is a saloon car. One of WEJ's few specifics about Bertie's machine is that it is a sports car. Therefore no saloons or even open tourers need apply. We are limited to one of the XK's or, as Tracer suggests, a prewar vehicle. Let's look at that:

48099.jpg

Here is the Jaguar SS100. It and the SS90 (looked much the same) were the only vehicles to bear the Jaguar name prewar. The reason is interesting... Jaguar was originally SS Cars. That name became tainted due to war associations, so post war the company renamed itself from its sports model - the Jaguar.

What think you all about an SS Jaguar for Bertie?
Zorotov: "We shall meet again."
Biggles: "If we do, the pleasure will be all yours."
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Underworld
Reading now: Classic Wings
Reading next: War of the Worlds
My top chap: WEJ - the founder of the feast
Aircraft: Concorde
Random: Ahhh....de Havilland....

Postby Frecks » 24 Jun 2018, 07:48

Was Bertie's car a two seater?

I cannot remember now but I did have an idea they used Bertie's car in Noble Lord when Ginger was dressed as a Princess. Are we absolutely sure the car was only mentioned twice in the whole series of books? It seems to me that WEJ was just as casual about the actual model of cars as he was when it came to aeroplanes.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 24 Jun 2018, 09:34

266 wrote:What think you all about an SS Jaguar for Bertie?

I like it. I think it would suit him. He would probably have definitely had to mothball that for the Duration, hence his ancient Morris.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 24 Jun 2018, 10:12

I like that too.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby 266 » 25 Jun 2018, 01:39

And, for light relief, the perfect car for Bertie...

1939-JAGUAR-SS100-2½-Litre-Roadster-by-Van-den-Plas-1.jpg

It's a Jaguar...
A sports car...
Red and Black...
Nicely inconspicuous when standing in for a police car....oh wait....

This is a one off, built in 1948 on a 1939 SS100 chassis, specifically for a car show. Still exists, last known value appx $1.5 million.
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Frecks » 25 Jun 2018, 08:01

I like that - very suitable car to blend into the background and not attract any attention :?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 25 Jun 2018, 08:37

I like that, too.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 25 Jun 2018, 13:56

I can't get past the paint job: horrible! Whatever happened to good old British Racing Green?

I've re-read Scores a Bull and Takes a Hand to see if anything further can be deduced from them:

Scores a Bull has several mentions of the Jag:

‘The weather was not so good as it might have been, the sky being dull and overcast; but the cloud layer was high and it was not raining, so, as Biggles observed, conditions might have been much worse. In making this remark he was thinking not so much of themselves as of Bertie, who as arranged, was making an aerial reconnaissance of the same area.

I deduce that there is an adequate roof to the car if Biggles isn't concerned about getting wet.

‘The reason for using Bertie’s car, the red and black Jaguar, instead of a police car, was for recognition; that is it would enable Bertie, when he came over in the Auster to spot exactly where they were.'

So their reason for using the Jag was because it was very recognisable!

There are a further two mentions of NOT taking the Jag as it was too recognisable.

Takes a Hand:

‘Ginger strolled to the car and leaned against it prepared to wait.’

‘His gaze wandered away from the spot, his elbow on the bonnet of the car and his chin in his hand.’

The bonnet is high enough for Ginger to put his elbow on it comfortably.

Both books say that not much conversation took place on the drive because there wasn't much to talk about. No mention of shouting because the top was down and the drive noisy or of them wearing hats to keep the wind out of their hair or anything useful like that!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Tracer » 26 Jun 2018, 09:32

Such good analytical work there, Kismet. 8-) Thanks.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 28 Jun 2018, 15:09

Bertie 's car is not named in the Underworld, but Bertie is described as driving it at high speed. Later on, Ginger remarks that
'That doesn't sound like Bertie's car to me,'
which suggests Bertie is using his own car for Ginger to be familiar with the sound of it.

Bertie takes the wounded gamekeeper to hospital in this which as he is unconscious suggests that he would have to be loaded into a back seat, but it doesn't actually say this: just:
'Bertie went to Ginger's assistance, and together - for a heavy, helpless man is not an easy thing to load - they managed to get the unconscious keeper on board.'

As arranged by Biggles, Bertie takes the keeper by himself to hospital,leaving Ginger to return to Biggles, though whether this is because the car is only a two seater isn't mentioned.

Bertie rear-ends a police car but only his headlights took a knock, suggesting his headlights stand proud of the car. I find these few paragraphs rather confusing, as it sounds as it both cars damaged their headlights, the police car by knocking the baddy over and Bertie by running into the police car and it is a little unclear who is talking to whom about what.

This car has a running board, as Biggles stands on it to go up the hill.

Biggles announces it is time to get Thompson to the hospital and for him, Ginger and Bertie to get home, but it doesn't say if they all got into the car together or if Bertie had to do shuttle runs. It is said that they leave the planes where they are until morning.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby 266 » 30 Jun 2018, 00:58

Great detective work by Kismet...I have just reread "Underworld" as a result...and I think we finally have an ID on Bertie's car.
While the word "Jaguar" is not actually used, I think there is no doubt we are talking about Bertie's personal vehicle. No police car would have a running board in the 1960's, and it is the running board that is the give-away. Of the four candidates for title of "Bertie's Jag," only one has a running board. So despite my lust for an XK150, and the Skilleter illustration of an XK120, only the SS Jaguar fits the bill. Here is (drum roll please)....Berties Jag:

jaguar_ss_100_05691_0008_01_02_37-1600x1200_crop.jpg

Enjoy.
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 30 Jun 2018, 02:25

Oooh fancy. I like it.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Fairblue » 30 Jun 2018, 08:57

Ooh, yes, definitely. That's a really neat car.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 30 Jun 2018, 10:23

Very smart and Bertie-worthy.