BBC selling Biggles books

Anything book related: books you like, collectors editions, renovation, purchasing, valuations and edition topics.

BBC selling Biggles books

Postby Spitfire666 » 01 Oct 2015, 10:12

I have not seen this before. A nice atmospheric cover of Swastika, and being sold by the BBC Shop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biggles-Defie ... 2ee0e713a9

This seems to be the new cover from Random House (Red Fox) so presumably that set of 15 books are being sold off.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Re: BBC selling Biggles books

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 01 Oct 2015, 10:25

Sort of like a modern day version of the old 1974 Armada paperback? [with Biggles on the bike being chased by uniformed Nazis etc]
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Frecks » 01 Oct 2015, 10:40

That is unusual is it a new edition or just a new front cover?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Purple Pigeon » 01 Oct 2015, 10:56

As far as I know these are Red Fox rejackets. They've republished some of the WWI titles, skipped the in between war books completely and have so far published Defies the Swastika and Delivers the Goods (at least in Australia). Defends the Desert and Fails to Return are due for publication in November.

I can have a look at the internals at work tomorrow (we have Defies the Swastika and Delivers the Goods in stock at the moment).
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Lilian Thompson » 01 Oct 2015, 11:05

I've got a big book published by Doubleday on WW2. It contains Biggles Defies the Swastika, Biggles Delivers the Goods, Biggles Defends the Desert and Biggles Fails to Return. I've also got this Big Box of Biggles (can't remember the publisher) that has 12 novels in three books: Dangerous, Big and Secret Adventures/Missions. They're assorted and make an awesome read. They're the first Biggles books I ever read. I good place to buy books like that is UK Depository. I get them delivered to my door and it doesn't cost too much. It only has recently reprinted ones there, though.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.
Lilian Thompson
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Rangers Apprentice 8 by John Flanagan
Reading now: Rangers Apprentice 9 by John Flanagan
Reading next: Rangers Apprentice 10 by John Flanagan
My top chap: von Stalhein
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: School over—eat, sleep, read

Postby kylie_koyote » 01 Oct 2015, 11:09

Lilian Thompson wrote:I've got a big book published by Doubleday on WW2. It contains Biggles Defies the Swastika, Biggles Delivers the Goods, Biggles Defends the Desert and Biggles Fails to Return. I've also got this Big Box of Biggles (can't remember the publisher) that has 12 novels in three books: Dangerous, Big and Secret Adventures/Missions. They're assorted and make an awesome read. They're the first Biggles books I ever read. I good place to buy books like that is UK Depository. I get them delivered to my door and it doesn't cost too much. It only has recently reprinted ones there, though.

Is that "big box of biggles" the one that comes in a military-green box decorated to look like a cockpit? I was admiring that on eBay a few weeks ago, but it was too much money for me to spend on books I'd already read.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Lilian Thompson » 01 Oct 2015, 11:14

I think so. I'll put a pic of mine up in the gallery in the 'Random' album.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.
Lilian Thompson
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Frecks » 01 Oct 2015, 11:22

I have the three big books you mentioned they were quite cheap to buy. In fact when I started reading Biggles again a few years ago they were the first books I bought.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Lilian Thompson » 01 Oct 2015, 11:44

Please don't say they were cheap! I bought the Big Box of Biggles for about $100 (Australian dollars)
Lilian Thompson
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 01 Oct 2015, 11:57

Lilian Thompson wrote:Please don't say they were cheap! I bought the Big Box of Biggles for about $100 (Australian dollars)

That's about the price I saw for it on eBay a couple of months ago.

Sometimes on eBay you can find "job lots" of a lot of Biggles books, for pretty cheap. Other times people want serious money for them. It pays to shop around.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 01 Oct 2015, 13:49

I have read them all numerous times, plus I have all the Limited Edition Norman Wright reprints, but it took me many yrs to find Biggles at World's End [the last Biggles story on my 'wants list']...finally found it on eBay about 10 yrs ago & held on to it for quite some time before reading it in recent yrs.

I have 5 or 6 duplicate HB copies of some of the easier to get Dean & Sons, Oxford & Hodder & Stoughton reprints...these particular titles I will give away for free [i.e. postage only] if any new collector just lets me know. Titles are: Black Peril, Second Case, Cruise of the Condor, Of 266, Camel Squadron, Another Job, Takes A Holiday, Sweeps The Desert, Secret Agent, Gets His Men, Air Commodore, Flies North & Works It Out.

They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Frecks » 02 Oct 2015, 19:19

That is a good collection of surplus books OzB. I only have one copy of each of mine. I have got most of the ones I want and the other couple are so rare and expensive I have just about given up hope of buying them.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to Book Discussion / Collecting