Mount Street Floor Plan

Air Police stuff, What injuries did they have, Story timeline, How popular was Biggles, Mount Street floor plan, etc.

Re: Mount Street Floor Plan

Postby Miss Carstairs » 09 Jan 2016, 15:33

I always imagine Biggles' flat as being a lot like the bungalow my two bachelor Uncles shared, who were not much younger than Biggles! It had lots of heavy dark furniture, including a massive table with a deep, heavy red 'runner' down the centre, with pots of pens and chocolate bars on it. It smelt heavily of pipe tobacco, sponge cake, and Imperial Leather soap. The shiny wooden chairs were ornate and most uncomfortable even if you put cushions on them, there was a bureau with a green leather top, and glass cabinets and shelves crammed with books and paperwork. The light fittings were gold and mahogany and there was a massive fireplace with a lot of dust when you got looking too closely (Mrs Symes might've dealt with this for Biggles though!) and a big wind-up old mantelpiece clock that had really friendly chimes. Quite an intriguing place for us kids! (My Mum lives in the bungalow now, it's all gone pastel, and I have the clock on my own mantelpiece still being friendly.)
'What did the lettuces do to you?'
Miss Carstairs
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

My top chap: Mahoney

Postby Frecks » 09 Jan 2016, 16:51

It is interesting how we all have different ideas about the flat. I always imagine it is comfortable with fairly old fashioned furniture and certainly the bookcase etc. would be mahogany and quite substantial. I do not think they had anything much on the dining table until they had the tea things and all the reference books and maps etc. spread out on it.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 Feb 2016, 16:29

I found another real estate listing (sorry, guys, it's sold already) for a flat on Mount Street. It went for a song at 9,750,000 pounds. :P

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-fo ... 95169.html

It's got a floor plan if you click on the tab. It's a two-story flat, but has one bedroom on the main floor and 3 more upstairs. It's massive, at 3,810 square feet, and it's got the lovely bay-windows I have admired on Google Street View.

Now, about those lottery tickets....
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Babanango » 04 Feb 2016, 01:28

Any discussion of this area brings back memories. I worked at 7 North Audley Street, two blocks or so north of Mount Street. It is situated on Grosvenor Square, and was Gen Eisenhower's headquarters during the planning of the Normandy invasion. In my time (the 1980s) it was the headquarters for US Naval Forces Europe, and the US Embassy is just across Grosvenor Square, so the whole area is heavily American, complete with statues of various US folk.

At the Eastern end of Mount Street is Berkeley Square, location of what is reputedly one of the "most haunted" houses in England, and of the fictional residence of Phileas Fogg from Around the World in 80 Days. North of it all is the shopping district of Oxford Street, anchored by Selfridges, and south is Picadilly, the Ritz, and Buckingham Palace. My Saturdays were generally spent browsing the art for sale affixed to the Green Park fence along Picadilly.
“Never play your trump cards too soon. No, by Jove!”
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Terai
Reading now: Mystic Voices
Reading next: ?
My top chap: Dickpa
Aircraft: P-40B Tomahawk

Postby Frecks » 04 Feb 2016, 09:26

This is a really upmarket part of London. It does make you wonder how Biggles could afford to live there in the early 1930s.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 04 Feb 2016, 09:49

Quite easily, I imagine. It may have been upmarket, but if you remove the housing element the cost of living wouldn't have been so very much higher than if he lived in another well-off part of London. In those days the prices hadn't yet been driven up by the 'designer label' mentality, paying well over the odds for the postcode. Mayfair would simply have been a very decent area in which he could afford to live. He wouldn't be eating out at the best restaurants every night or going shopping every day.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby Kismet » 04 Feb 2016, 15:52

The more I look at these designer decorated flats, the more I dislike them. They don't seem to have any personality. Or is this just me? Are they everyone else's ideal?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Frecks » 04 Feb 2016, 17:13

No I would prefer the cosy flat where Biggles lived with the coal fire and comfortable armchairs with Mrs. Symes to make the breakfast and afternoon tea.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 04 Feb 2016, 17:31

Kismet wrote:The more I look at these designer decorated flats, the more I dislike them. They don't seem to have any personality. Or is this just me? Are they everyone else's ideal?

They're very sterile. I think realtors tell people to put them that way so the prospective buyers can visualize their own furnishings, but I don't like it. I much prefer dark wood, bold colors (within reason), and cozy furniture.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 Feb 2016, 19:26

Kismet wrote:The more I look at these designer decorated flats, the more I dislike them. They don't seem to have any personality. Or is this just me? Are they everyone else's ideal?

Aren't they just completely dead. What they did to WEJ's old place saddened me.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Babanango » 04 Feb 2016, 19:34

kylie_koyote wrote:They're very sterile. I think realtors tell people to put them that way so the prospective buyers can visualize their own furnishings, but I don't like it. I much prefer dark wood, bold colors (within reason), and cozy furniture.

Yes, you are right. Realtors always say to decorate for the people who come along later. Makes no sense to me. Decorate for yourself!
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 Feb 2016, 20:51

Curious. I have seem several houses tastefully dressed to sell with a loved look, sometimes even with hired pieces of furniture, and sell very well indeed, these are just instantly forgettable.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 04 Feb 2016, 21:41

Give me an old, shabby much loved place any day. As long as it's structurely sound. Although, to be honest, with all the houses we've looked at, I believe there is an instant 'feel' either good or bad as soon as you step in the door. I always say the last house we lived in in Gloucestershire wrapped it's ams around us. We fell in love with it instantly. My own daughter much prefers the old small cottage she lived in to the modern house she has now.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby tiffinata » 04 Feb 2016, 21:58

Sometimes a house just oozes sadness or a feeling of a crying need for something.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 05 Feb 2016, 08:56

I should think it would be possible to improve a neglected sad house and have the satisfaction of making it into a happy, comfortable home.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 05 Feb 2016, 10:26

Frecks wrote:I should think it would be possible to improve a neglected sad house and have the satisfaction of making it into a happy, comfortable home.

It is and it's fun, although it does have its frustrating times too.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 05 Feb 2016, 11:14

The first thing new people do is decorate and put their stamp on a property anyway.

I remember when a neighbour and I were each selling our houses at the same time. Neighbours assured me I'd get a better sale if I did this and that. They redecorated, put in a new kitchen and carpets. I did nothing.

Morning after the buyers moved in to their house, everything new was pulled out and piled in the garden. And they redecorated.

I saved myself the trouble and the money, sold for the same amount, and the people who bought mine did the same, even unto ripping out the whole garden.

As Babanango says - style your home to suit yourself.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby tiffinata » 06 Feb 2016, 00:42

We did the bare minimum of redecoration. The house has been in the family since new, so we kept the good memories and tried to erase the 'ghosts'. It feels very different and now has it's heart back.
Our 'new' stove was exactly the same design as the old one, we stripped the 1970's wallpaper off and painted most of the walls a very pale pink, with skirting boards a coppery colour. Two bedrooms are a light mauve, with the same coppery woodwork. The other is yellow and white.
The kitchen went bright yellow, to lift the existing Mission Brown cupboards and floor tiles.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 06 Feb 2016, 08:57

We have lived in the same house since we got married 45 years ago. It was built in the 1930s and has only had two owners. When we moved in the kitchen consisted of a sink propped up on two pieces of wood and nothing else. We have updated the house a couple of times over the years but our fitted kitchen is over 30 years old now.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 06 Feb 2016, 11:14

Our lovely house in Gloucestershire was quite big with a long Hall and two corridors upstairs. The original part dated back to 1842. Trying to get a decent coordinated look actually presented a bit of a challenge but we managed it. We kept the old doors too. Some of the upstairs ones were a bit warped and cracked but we loved them.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Indian Civil Service » 13 Jul 2016, 08:46

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 04557.html

£5,500,000
3 bedroom flat
Mount Street, Mayfair, London, W1K
Email agentCall agent
A well planned and impressive family flat situated in a terracotta clad Victorian mansion block spanning two buildings. Its present layout gives two bedrooms and three reception rooms but can be remodelled to its original design of a three bed family flat with ease. (contd...) Read more
Share Save

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... d=34904557
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby Indian Civil Service » 13 Jul 2016, 08:54

Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Frecks » 13 Jul 2016, 13:22

That is very interesting. There seems to be a very wide variety of property on Mount Street. I think it is quite a long street with commercial premises and shops as well as residential properties. I wonder if WEJ knew it well when he decided that Biggles had a flat there or if it was just a street name he had vaguely heard of.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Indian Civil Service » 13 Jul 2016, 17:28

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... o-all.html

Interesting re- creation of 1940s home that is real and working, not an exhibit...
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Indian Civil Service » 13 Jul 2016, 17:36

Frecks wrote:That is very interesting. There seems to be a very wide variety of property on Mount Street.... I wonder if WEJ knew it well when he decided that Biggles had a flat there or if it was just a street name he had vaguely heard of.

I think he chose it for its proximity to celebrity locations. ..actually I remember we drove through it sometime in 1974 and 75 because Dad's Lloyds Bank branch was in Park Lane and Mount St seemed pretty quiet and relaxed.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Frecks » 13 Jul 2016, 19:02

Is it a long street?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Babanango » 13 Jul 2016, 19:41

It runs for a few blocks, maybe a quarter of a mile long or a bit more. It's not a busy street like Oxford Street or Park Lane, but it's still pretty active. I found this stereotypically English chap on Google Streetview, just standing and taking in the scene.

Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Frecks » 13 Jul 2016, 20:21

It does not look too busy in that part and the pavement is not as wide as I thought it would be.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Babanango » 13 Jul 2016, 23:11

It's not what I would describe as a "bustling" street, but the Audley pub is always busy. At lunchtime on work days the area approaches "bustling" as all the offices empty out for a sandwich and a pint. Then the pubs are full of civil servants and diplomatic types, as there are quite a few government offices and embassies in the area. When I worked there, Grosvenor Square, a couple of blocks north of Mount Street, was always full of young ladies stretched out sunning themselves at lunchtime in the summer. It was a popular place to be for us young Marines.
Babanango
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby tiffinata » 14 Jul 2016, 07:42

There are horrendously expensive cars parked on the street. The kind we Aussies only see at car shows.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

PreviousNext

Return to General discussions about Biggles & Co.