Pubs, clubs and other buildings

Air Police stuff, What injuries did they have, Story timeline, How popular was Biggles, Mount Street floor plan, etc.

Pubs, clubs and other buildings

Postby Tommy Smith » 14 Mar 2014, 18:41

You too can lunch where Ginger did, dressed as a princess... if fact... I dare you...

The George at Stamford.

Biggles and the Noble Lord

(its that time of the week where thoughts turn to alcohol).
Last edited by Tommy Smith on 18 Jun 2014, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Re: Pubs, clubs and other buildings

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Mar 2014, 18:46

Are you for real? That's so awesome. I would totally go there just to say "This is where Ginger had lunch in his princess outfit."
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 14 Mar 2014, 19:53

kylie_koyote wrote:Are you for real? That's so awesome. I would totally go there just to say "This is where Ginger had lunch in his princess outfit."

Me too; this is lovely, TS. 8-) And did you see - part of it is over 1,000 years old :!: :o
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 14 Mar 2014, 20:07

That is fantastic. It looks brilliant - I like the fourposter bedrooms but I think afternoon tea is a bit pricy (being used to Northern prices).
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Mar 2014, 20:39

I went for tea at the Ritz in London once with my parents when I was in high school, just so we could say we'd done it. It was crazy expensive too.

But now, whenever I feel out-snobbery-ed, I try to drop it into conversation..."Well, when I was having tea at the Ritz in London... " :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 15 Mar 2014, 08:34

kylie_koyote wrote:I went for tea at the Ritz in London once with my parents when I was in high school, just so we could say we'd done it. It was crazy expensive too.

But now, whenever I feel out-snobbery-ed, I try to drop it into conversation..."Well, when I was having tea at the Ritz in London... " :lol:

I like your style, KK. And the George looks great. But, to be honest, the way even our princesses dress today , who's going to notice? Unless TS is going to be pedantic and insist one dresses a la Ginger. :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby tiffinata » 15 Mar 2014, 09:03

kylie_koyote wrote:I went for tea at the Ritz in London once with my parents when I was in high school, just so we could say we'd done it. It was crazy expensive too.

I did Harrods for a similar reason. Paid God-knows- what for afternoon tea. Stale sandwiches and cold tea.
Bought a tiny handkerchief for my grandmother as it was the least expensive thing I could find. And the bag said 'Harrods". The bag was enough to make her day. :lol:
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Tommy Smith » 15 Mar 2014, 21:29

At the time Ginger chanced upon Biggles in 'Black Peril' Biggles and Algy were based at Brooklands.
Looks like it would have been a fun place, if Biggles did have a blower Bentley.....that banked racetrack is so tempting.
This is the world Ginger suddenly found himself, such a very far cry from his previous life and prospects.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Mar 2014, 09:58

tiffinata wrote:I did Harrods for a similar reason. Paid God-knows- what for afternoon tea. Stale sandwiches and cold tea.
Bought a tiny handkerchief for my grandmother as it was the least expensive thing I could find. And the bag said 'Harrods". The bag was enough to make her day. :lol:

Same here :D Our very first visit to the UK - had afternoon tea at Harrods just so we could say we had. I bought a Christmas tree decoration (least expensive item we could find), and still have the little Harrods bag - somewhere :lol:

And I also like to think that The Audley in Mount Street was their local pub - coz it's just down the street from Biggles' flat and they sometimes have Spitfire Ale on tap... 8-)
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Spitfire666 » 16 Mar 2014, 10:00

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:And I also like to think that The Audley in Mount Street was their local pub - coz it's just down the street from Biggles' flat and they sometimes have Spitfire Ale on tap... 8-)

And we spotted Ginger there once in disguise, didn't we, RAAFSG :lol:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Mar 2014, 10:23

Spitfire666 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:And I also like to think that The Audley in Mount Street was their local pub - coz it's just down the street from Biggles' flat and they sometimes have Spitfire Ale on tap... 8-)

And we spotted Ginger there once in disguise, didn't we, RAAFSG :lol:

Certainly did, S666 :thumbsup2: :cheers2:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Mar 2014, 21:25

There's a pic of it during WW2 when it was a hotel having taken a hit. Mount street took a bit of damage.
http://www.westendatwar.org.uk/page_id_ ... 0p28p.aspx
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 16 Mar 2014, 21:39

Fascinating. I never thought about Mayfair being bombed: so much of the coverage concentrates on the East End that I forget there are other areas of London which suffered.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 17 Mar 2014, 10:33

Tommy Smith wrote:There's a pic of it during WW2 when it was a hotel having taken a hit. Mount street took a bit of damage.

Wow!! A lot of damage, wasn't there? wej never mentioned whether Biggles' flat suffered any damage but, looking at those pictures, it seems quite likely that it might have, doesn't it? :o
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Mar 2014, 11:19

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Tommy Smith wrote:There's a pic of it during WW2 when it was a hotel having taken a hit. Mount street took a bit of damage.

Wow!! A lot of damage, wasn't there? wej never mentioned whether Biggles' flat suffered any damage but, looking at those pictures, it seems quite likely that it might have, doesn't it? :o

Maybe that's when they remodeled it to make it big enough for Bertie to move in after the war and they must have added a guest room too for Eddie Ross to stay over.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 17 Mar 2014, 11:48

Also interesting is the line..
'Many of the district's grand mansion flat blocks – left empty or housing homeless civilians from other bombed parts of London..' plus the number of smaller flats makes it seem a lot less glamorous than it looks today.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Mar 2014, 15:37

A thought:

Maybe Biggles' flat was damaged and that's why in "Fails to Return" at the beginning Algy says "He has nowhere particular to go."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 17 Mar 2014, 19:44

kylie_koyote wrote:A thought:

Maybe Biggles' flat was damaged and that's why in "Fails to Return" at the beginning Algy says "He has nowhere particular to go."

Oh dear, that makes me feel quite sad at the thought :( Mind you, Ginger would have nowhere to go either, and Algy'd have to go home to Wales...
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Mar 2014, 19:49

SaintedAunt wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:A thought:

Oh dear, that makes me feel quite sad at the thought :( Mind you, Ginger would have nowhere to go either, and Algy'd have to go home to Wales...

Which then begs the question - where did Ginger and Jeanette go at the end of "FTR"? Although I suppose it would've shocked Mrs. Symes to no end if they'd turned up at the flat by themselves.

:twisted:
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Mar 2014, 19:53

SaintedAunt wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:Maybe Biggles' flat was damaged and that's why in "Fails to Return" at the beginning Algy says "He has nowhere particular to go."

I take it to mean that if Biggles went to the flat he would be alone, not with his mates - that is why Algy says says he has nowhere particular to go.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 17 Mar 2014, 22:28

Spitfire666 wrote:I take it to mean that if Biggles went to the flat he would be alone, not with his mates - that is why Algy says says he has nowhere particular to go.

Yes that is how I interpreted it too. S666. No particular place he would like to go. The camaraderie in the forces was very strong and Biggles would probably have felt really lost on his own.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 17 Mar 2014, 23:31

Fairblue wrote:
Spitfire666 wrote:I take it to mean that if Biggles went to the flat he would be alone, not with his mates - that is why Algy says says he has nowhere particular to go.

Yes that is how I interpreted it too. S666. No particular place he would like to go. The camaraderie in the forces was very strong and Biggles would probably have felt really lost on his own.

Yes I agree with both of you completely - I was only joking earlier :) There was the Air Police story, Gun Runners, where he had to take cheap rooms on his own and missed the companionship to which he was accustomed :(
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Mar 2014, 08:09

SaintedAunt wrote:Yes I agree with both of you completely - I was only joking earlier :) There was the Air Police story, Gun Runners, where he had to take cheap rooms on his own and missed the companionship to which he was accustomed :(

I love that episode; one can see him miserably sitting on his own in that little flat in Bayswater... :nono: It does make you aware they can cope any any kind of problem, as long as they are together. :merry:

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 18 Mar 2014, 09:58

'Just one request' put in Biggles 'I feel very much on my own up here; if you could get Lacey and Hebblethwaite somewhere handy, somewhere where I could reach them in emergency, I'd be grateful. As you know, we always work as a team, and I need a little moral support anyway.' (Defies the Swastika)

He really doesn't do well alone, does he?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 18 Mar 2014, 10:09

SaintedAunt wrote:Yes I agree with both of you completely - I was only joking earlier :) ...

Spitfire666 wrote:It does make you aware they can cope any any kind of problem, as long as they are together. :merry:

Same here. That was always my take on that line.

And Kismet's right. Biggles doesn't seem to like working on his own, he relies on his trusted team. I must confess that Goes Alone is not one of my favourite books, precisely because it doesn't have the others involved. (And that from a totally dedicated, dyed in the wool, one eyed Biggles' fanatic... :roll: )
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 18 Mar 2014, 11:00

SaintedAunt wrote:Yes I agree with both of you completely - I was only joking earlier :) ...

Spitfire666 wrote:It does make you aware they can cope any any kind of problem, as long as they are together. :merry:

And Kismet's right. Biggles doesn't seem to like working on his own, he relies on his trusted team. I must confess that Goes Alone is not one of my favourite books, precisely because it doesn't have the others involved. (And that from a totally dedicated, dyed in the wool, one eyed Biggles' fanatic... :roll: )

How funny. Goes Alone is one of my absolute most loved favourites because he is away from his team and his comfort zone.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 19 Mar 2014, 14:12

Kismet wrote:[How funny. Goes Alone is one of my absolute most loved favourites because he is away from his team and his comfort zone.

Not one of my favourites, I'm afraid for the same reason as RSG. however, I've only read it the once so I'll reserve further judgement until I've read it again. Maybe Biggles out of his comfort zone can be entertaining. 8-)
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Mar 2014, 17:56

Not strictly a WEJ book location but just read the Tripadvisor reviews for the Biggles pub in Dubai. Nice big Camel flying across the ceiling and and low score from one reviewer who left because of all the cigarette smoke.... :D
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Mar 2014, 18:22

Tommy Smith wrote:Not strictly a WEJ book location but just read the Tripadvisor reviews for the Biggles pub in Dubai. Nice big Camel flying across the ceiling and and low score from one reviewer who left because of all the cigarette smoke.... :D

Are you serious?!? Must think of an excuse to visit Dubai.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 23 Mar 2014, 14:26

http://www.bombsight.org/?#17/51.50960/-0.14969
Just how close the bombing potentially came to Biggles Mount Street flat. This is only the bombing for the eight months of the blitz.
As usual I was looking for something entirely different.

(Buckingham Palace was very lucky).
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Next

Return to General discussions about Biggles & Co.