Biggles books apparently not by WEJ - help wanted!

If it does not fit into the other book categories, put it here!

Biggles books apparently not by WEJ - help wanted!

Postby Spitfire666 » 09 Nov 2017, 20:07

After not reading Biggles for some years I started again. I tried to find two books that I remembered but could not find them. Eventually realized they could not have been by Johns. I am curious about them. In one, set by the sea, Ginger goes for a walk and bumps into von Stahein who pulls a gun on him. Later, asked by Biggles why he did not try to escape earlier as there were people about, Ginger said he did not see what he could do with a gun held against him. The other book must have been a WW2 one. Biggles takes over a new squadron and gives the pilots a test on aircraft recognition, which reveals they are lousy at knowing which are allies and which axis planes. Does anyone have any idea? I always thought these were by WEJ; I did not see any other name on them than Johns. The second of these books I partially read as an adult. I was taking an evening class course and found this in the school library. I read a couple of chapters each week in the teabreak. I would have noticed if there was another name on it.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Re: Biggles books apparently not by WEJ - help wanted!

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 09 Nov 2017, 22:24

How very interesting, S666. I am really intrigued - I like the scenarios for both of these and would love to know more also.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Kismet » 10 Nov 2017, 02:06

I've been thinking for the last few hours about these. I'm certain they are not by WEJ. The first one seems slightly familiar, the second one not at all.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 10 Nov 2017, 09:24

Spitfire666 wrote:After not reading Biggles for some years I started again. I tried to find two books that I remembered but could not find them. Eventually realized they could not have been by Johns. I am curious about them.

Now we all are, S666. A mystery to be solved. :pilot:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Frecks » 10 Nov 2017, 11:46

I wonder if they were Fan Fics written some time ago.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby kylie_koyote » 10 Nov 2017, 12:16

The scene you describe in the first one sounds similar to a scene in "Poor Rich Boy", where Ginger gets a gun stuck in his ribs and marched into the forest by one of the kidnappers. Biggles is irritated when he does return, asking what on earth he thinks he's playing at, and Ginger retorts angrily that he's just been held at gunpoint.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Frecks » 10 Nov 2017, 17:04

Well remembered KK :) If I remember rightly Ginger was quite put out when his life had been in danger and Biggles was telling him off for keeping the others waiting.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 10 Nov 2017, 17:28

Frecks wrote:Well remembered KK :) If I remember rightly Ginger was quite put out when his life had been in danger and Biggles was telling him off for keeping the others waiting.

Indeed. Here's the quote:

Biggles did not exactly receive him with open arms. He stood with his arms folded across his chest, his forehead furrowed with a deep frown of annoyance. ‘What the devil have you been doing?’ he demanded angrily.
‘Devil is the right word,’ answered Ginger, still breathing deeply from his exertions, as he sank down on the running board of the car and mopped a sweaty face with his handkerchief.
‘You realize you’ve kept us waiting here—’
‘Don’t think that was for fun,’ broke in Ginger. ‘I’ve been for a walk with Cornelli — with a gun stuck in my ribs.’
What!’ Biggles’s expression changed in a flash to one of incredulity.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Spitfire666 » 11 Nov 2017, 08:50

I found the second of these books when I was taking evening class courses at a school. I was over 20 - old enough to have noticed if it did not look like a Biggles book. It was a hardback. I never read to the end of it. :( The agonies I suffered in not just making off with that book :!: I felt sure that the school kids were not interested and I wanted it... But I did not, just relied on reading a couple of chapters each week. I don't think that school exists any more.
The first book sounds like the one KK mentions but I was sure it happened by a seafront and von Stalhein had the gun. I will have to reread that one to check.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Return to Everything else to do with books!