Biggles Bargain!!

Biggles Bargain!!

Postby DrBiggles » 20 Oct 2013, 17:01

Just seen this online .................. 15 brand new Biggles books for £14.99!!

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/w ... ryId=85207
DrBiggles
Flying officer
Flying officer

Re: Biggles Bargain!!

Postby SaintedAunt » 20 Oct 2013, 17:09

My goodness - what a bargain - compared with what you'd pay if you bought them separately. I think Random House may be re-issuing them with different covers? or some of them with different covers? Maybe they want to move the ones with the old covers. I like the Random House covers.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Tommy Smith » 20 Oct 2013, 19:32

Lush, aren't they.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 20 Oct 2013, 21:02

I see Sweeps the Desert is still being called Defends the Desert which quite surprises me as I thought Random House were faithful to the originals.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Simon Templar » 21 Oct 2013, 21:25

SaintedAunt wrote:I see Sweeps the Desert is still being called Defends the Desert which quite surprises me as I thought Random House were faithful to the originals.

yup, but especially random house is targeting a teenage audience here. nowadays, it seems a bit strange 'sweeping' the desert
Those that live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I went to the museum and saw a Van Gogh painting. Underneath it said "Loaned anonymously."
I went to the front desk and said, "I’d like my Van Gogh back now, please."
Simon Templar
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
Reading now: Blood Sport - Dick Francis
Reading next: Sky Fever
My top chap: Bertie
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: i can down a pint in 15 seconds

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 08 Nov 2013, 09:06

Here's another bargain, depending how high it goes, if anybody wants an instant collection:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Collection-o ... 2584fe1f59
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Stephen King - The Outsider

Postby SaintedAunt » 08 Nov 2013, 09:41

Do these collections sell easily? There would be so much duplication for most people and postage will be quite high!
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 149 » 08 Nov 2013, 11:06

Yes I have got quite a few of these books in this format. I have just bought a new copy of Swastika from Waterstones and it was £5.99 which is OK. This offer would make a very good start to a collection or replace any books which are falling apart. I do love the old editions but they do get a bit tatty. I love the ones with the owners names in or if they were a gift or a school prize. I have one which was owned by somebody with my own name which is lovely.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Spitfire666 » 08 Nov 2013, 11:16

Jenny Rob wrote:I love the ones with the owners names in or if they were a gift or a school prize. I have one which was owned by somebody with my own name which is lovely.

Oh, that is lovely! I always feel special towards a book that has been inscribed, it has been loved by someone before me.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 08 Nov 2013, 11:24

Yes I like that too. Often when sellers describe a book they'll proudly say that it has no insciptions or labels, or if they do have them they're described as a fault. I think they add to the charcter - I love reading them and wondering about the people involved. A couple of times I've found lovely old postcards in a book as well.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Stephen King - The Outsider

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices