Homework (again)

Re: Homework (again)

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 21 May 2013, 12:37

So, 11 Norman Wright editions, Biggles and non-Biggles, came up on Ebay today. All had a starting price of $AU50. All sold, 3 for $50, 1 for $51 and the others for various prices up to the top one of $140.01. One person bought 3, another bought 6, the last 2 going to other sellers although the main 2 buyers also bid on them. The person who bought 6 was the same one who a few weeks ago, when we were on the short-lived other forum, bought a hardback and softback Homework and an Air Ace all in one go (there were neither of those 2 in today's lot). That's some serious collecting with, it would seem, some serious money to finance it!
There were some good bargains had today, even so.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby Fairblue » 21 May 2013, 13:15

Sizzling Sausages wrote:So, 11 Norman Wright editions, Biggles and non-Biggles, came up on Ebay today. All had a starting price of $AU50. All sold, 3 for $50, 1 for $51 and the others for various prices up to the top one of $140.01. One person bought 3, another bought 6, the last 2 going to other sellers although the main 2 buyers also bid on them. The person who bought 6 was the same one who a few weeks ago, when we were on the short-lived other forum, bought a hardback and softback Homework and an Air Ace all in one go (there were neither of those 2 in today's lot). That's some serious collecting with, it would seem, some serious money to finance it!
There were some good bargains had today, even so.

I sometimes wonder when I see a lot of Biggles books come up for sale from one buyer whether it's an estate being cleared out. Sad, in some ways.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Jennifer » 21 May 2013, 14:48

I should think it is often an estate being cleared out which as you say is quite sad but good to know the books are going to good homes and real Biggles fans - nobody but a serious fan would pay the asking prices :)
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Fairblue » 21 May 2013, 16:07

Jennifer wrote:I should think it is often an estate being cleared out which as you say is quite sad but good to know the books are going to good homes and real Biggles fans - nobody but a serious fan would pay the asking prices :)
How true :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 22 May 2013, 23:09

Jennifer wrote:nobody but a serious fan would pay the asking prices :)

3 non-Biggles NWs, 2 @ 85 pounds, 1 @ 100 pounds, from the same seller, and 1 NW Biggles hardback from another seller (79.99) just sold - all to the same buyer!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 25 May 2013, 23:15

The 375 pound Homework didn't sell yet again. I don't think I've ever seen one go this long without selling.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 26 May 2013, 23:18

I'm starting to bore myself now... relisted again at 375.00.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 27 May 2013, 08:46

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I'm starting to bore myself now... relisted again at 375.00.
:yawn:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby saladin » 07 Jul 2013, 01:41

Homework has something of a mystical, mythical property to it for me, lol. Id love to read it, but if I was spending that level of money atm, I'd probably go for dj copies of the last couple of late titles I still need. Or a Hamilton camels.
saladin
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 07 Jul 2013, 07:13

I gave up bothering to keep up the commentary on that copy - it's still being listed, now at 350 pounds. He did list a hardback Air Ace a week or so back for 200 pounds, and that sold almost immediately.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Jul 2013, 12:47

Air Ace is better by a very very long way - no contest in fact.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 07 Jul 2013, 15:18

SaintedAunt wrote:Air Ace is better by a very very long way - no contest in fact.

That is the only Biggles book I haven't read. I keep looking out for it but the cost is usually too rich for my blood. :roll:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Jul 2013, 15:40

Fairblue wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:Air Ace is better by a very very long way - no contest in fact.

That is the only Biggles book I haven't read. I keep looking out for it but the cost is usually too rich for my blood. :roll:

It's usually cheaper than Homework! Trouble is, to get the stories in their originals, you'd need to collect a lot of boys magazines. Though they are nice to have of course. But Norman Wright includes all the original pictures in his book, so that's better than not having them at all.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 07 Jul 2013, 15:48

SaintedAunt wrote:
Fairblue wrote:

It's usually cheaper than Homework!

I don't own Homework, I borrowed a copy to read and my collection, such as it is, is stuffed in boxes in France, in the attic in Scotland and a cupboard in the Forest of Dean. Not worth a bean, but readable, so therefore valuable to me. When we finally settle down I'll have a nice bookcase to put them on. :D
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Felt » 07 Jul 2013, 21:12

Spitfire666 wrote:
Sizzling Sausages wrote:
Spitfire666 wrote:That one is pirated from the Norman Wright edition. They keep putting them on, saying there were only 30 copies ever produced, but have sold more than that, I think.

Thanks, I wondered what the story was with it. I must admit though, I like the way they made it look like an original series/edition book.

Yes, it does look more like the old books, and I prefer that. I had an email exchange with them once, after I bid on a copy but lost out, and the seller then contacted me, hoping to sell more, offering me a deal on Homework and Air Ace. He admitted he had pirated them.

For the record, there were only 30 copies each of Homework and Biggles on the Western Front. 24 people paid up front for them to be produced, and 22 in the case of the latter book.
Felt
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Spitfire666 » 07 Jul 2013, 22:45

Fairblue wrote:

I got the stories in The Modern Boy; it worked out a lot cheaper and you get pictures with them.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 11 Jul 2013, 23:15

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I gave up bothering to keep up the commentary on that copy - it's still being listed, now at 350 pounds. He did list a hardback Air Ace a week or so back for 200 pounds, and that sold almost immediately.

Somebody finally bought it!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Dover Patrol » 03 Sep 2013, 07:09

There is a copy of the softcover Homework (1997) on Ebay at the moment sitting on ~120 pounds with less than 24 hours to go... I'm almost tempted to try and buy it!
Dover Patrol
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Fairblue » 03 Sep 2013, 07:20

If it stays at that price, going by past auctions, that would be a bargain, apparently, DP. :)
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 03 Sep 2013, 07:24

It was actually listed for a starting price of one pound and up until a day or 2 ago had only got up to about 55. Sadly it'll probably go silly in the last few minutes, but it'd be nice to think you might get it for something sensible, DP.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Dover Patrol » 03 Sep 2013, 10:48

I don't expect that it will go for much less than 250 pounds to be honest! Still, one can dream... :roll:

8 hours to go and up to 126.00 GBP!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331001441381 ... 1423.l2649
Dover Patrol
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 03 Sep 2013, 22:37

GBP165 ($AU285.91). That was a 'bargain' for somebody.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 04 Sep 2013, 00:35

Sizzling Sausages wrote:GBP165 ($AU285.91). That was a 'bargain' for somebody.
Is this the beginning of the end of the silly prices we've been seeing recently?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Sep 2013, 08:44

That was very cheap for Homework, although I suspect some people prefer the hardback with its few add-on bits to the paperback, even though the paperback came first. The silly prices have been a lot lower now for a while, FB. i also notice that some booksellers have realised it and are pricing more realistically.

But there will always be a few books which will go for high prices, just because they are genuine collectors items and very scarce - like the Boys' Friend Library editions, some of which are so scarce you can't even find one for sale in any list.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 04 Sep 2013, 09:35

The thing with an auction on ebay is, (as opposed to Buy IT Now) I don't think you can get a realistic idea of the market value. It only takes two people who want the item badly to drive the price up. :)
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Sep 2013, 18:08

Fairblue wrote:The thing with an auction on ebay is, (as opposed to Buy IT Now) I don't think you can get a realistic idea of the market value. It only takes two people who want the item badly to drive the price up. :)

But isn't the market value what somebody is prepared to pay? Perhaps you are thinking that people will get overexcited and bid too high in an auction, but I am not sure that this is so these days. If I bid on ebay, I decide in advance the most I will pay and that is that - I go no higher.

I don't think bookseller prices are 'market value', nor Buy It Nows - you only have to see how many of those get to the end without anybody offering them enough .
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 04 Sep 2013, 23:02

SaintedAunt wrote:
Fairblue wrote:The thing with an auction on ebay is, (as opposed to Buy IT Now) I don't think you can get a realistic idea of the market value. It only takes two people who want the item badly to drive the price up. :)

But isn't the market value what somebody is prepared to pay? Perhaps you are thinking that people will get overexcited and bid too high in an auction, but I am not sure that this is so these days. If I bid on ebay, I decide in advance the most I will pay and that is that - I go no higher.

I don't think bookseller prices are 'market value', nor Buy It Nows - you only have to see how many of those get to the end without anybody offering them enough .

Ebay is a double-edged sword with this. On the one hand it gives people access to an item no matter where it is or they are. But on the other hand it means that people to whom money is no object can simply bid an exorbitant amount, well over 'market value' just 'cos they can, leaving us poor plebs wallowing in their dust.
By way of example, two of the Boy's Friend Library editions came up last night Australian time - about 4am. One (Biggles Goes to War = Camel Squadron) had a missing back cover but still went for GBP97.55 ($AU167.22). The other (Biggles Flies East = Black Peril) was mainly complete but still tatty looking and went for GBP255.00 ($AU437.11). I put bids in on both before I went to bed but didn't get a look in. I was prepared to pay a bit, but nowhere near 255 pounds.
So is 255 pounds 'market value'? Yes, in the way that SA indicates. But would it have gone for that price just sitting in a secondhand shop, as opposed to being listed on ebay? I suspect not.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Dover Patrol » 05 Sep 2013, 05:08

I must admit that I was expecting the copy of Homework to go for more.

I received an email from a friend the other day saying that he'd purchased a fake copy of the softcover Homework on Ebay. He bought the book as a present for a friend (he wasn't that generous with me!) and only noticed it was a fake because he had a 1997 original to compare it to! He sent photos of both books to Norman Wright who confirmed his suspicions but unfortunately too much time has elapsed for him to get his money back. It seems there have been a few on offer recently that are not legitimate (although this most recent one appears to have been okay). I would advise anyone who has bought a copy recently to check that it's legitimate. Perhaps this has further dampened the market's enthusiasm? It's also probably increased the number of people who think they own a copy already and therefore don't need/want to bid!
Dover Patrol
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Sep 2013, 08:46

Sizzling Sausages wrote:By way of example, two of the Boy's Friend Library editions came up last night Australian time - ....So is 255 pounds 'market value'? Yes, in the way that SA indicates. But would it have gone for that price just sitting in a secondhand shop, as opposed to being listed on ebay? I suspect not.

You'd be extremely lucky to find a BFL edition 'just sitting' in a secondhand bookshop! More likely in a polythene wrapper in a locked cupboard... If you think £255 was excessive, there was another BFL edition on ebay not long ago which went for a 4-figure sum - but I can't remember which one that was.

I have no idea how many were printed, but their fragility means they don't survive as well as a proper book. And because of the internet, people selling secondhand books generally know the value of WEJ - even the charity shops do. You are not talking about people buying a book to read here. These are serious collectors' items.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Dover Patrol » 05 Sep 2013, 08:53

That was a copy of Biggles In France and sold for 1055.00 GBP!!!
Dover Patrol
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices