Homework (again)

Re: Homework (again)

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Feb 2014, 14:23

Jenny Rob wrote:What Canadian War?

Oops! I quoted that wrong...he was a soldier [insert officer] who commanded a regiment 'UNDER' General Wolfe in the Canadian war, my mistake. :oops:
Now to read more about who is General Wolfe....
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Feb 2014, 14:27

Good ol' Wikipedia, apparently it was the 'Seven Years' War', which started in 1756:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Wolfe

And good ol' WEJ is still teaching me new things & reinforcing my love of history all these yrs later!! :yay:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 07 Feb 2014, 15:15

SaintedAunt wrote: He is introduced as a potential new member of the Air Police, following Raymond's conversation with Biggles about retirement. Contrary to what certain 'experts' have written, nowhere does WEJ say Minnie is going to take over Biggles' job!

I think I said something similar, SA. Can't remember whether it was on the old forum or not. I've had a swift glance through my copy just to check. Minnie is recruited to the Special Air Police, but not to take over Biggles job. Goodness knows where that particular rumour started, as it appears to be totally unsubstantiated.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Inactive User 149 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:18

Still a Scottish/French Canadian/Canadian Indian would have quite a few skills to aid the Air Police ;)
Inactive User 149
-

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:31

Jenny Rob wrote:Still a Scottish/French Canadian/Canadian Indian would have quite a few skills to aid the Air Police ;)

Quite true! When I checked again & read the opening lines of "Minnie's" entrance, I believe he was described as ex-RAF, wearing an AFC [Air Force Cross] medal on his tunic. In what theatre of war is an AFC awarded, or is it a peacetime medal for meritorious service? [I am not sure] Surely he was too young to have received it in WW2 if this is set in the late 60's & he is meant to be a young man in his 20's?
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 149 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:32

There were other conflicts in the 1950s but I have not heard of this medal. Is Minnie in his 20s? Are you sure he is not 18 as nearly every other character in the books is - even if they fought in the War twenty years ago :lol:
Inactive User 149
-

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:37

Jenny Rob wrote:There were other conflicts in the 1950s but I have not heard of this medal. Is Minnie in his 20s? Are you sure he is not 18 as nearly every other character in the books is - even if they fought in the War twenty years ago :lol:

Yes, WEJ seems to always have the 'new' or 'guest characters' in some books impossibly young, with incredible experiences [wartime or otherwise].
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Feb 2014, 15:45

Fairblue wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote: He is introduced as a potential new member of the Air Police, following Raymond's conversation with Biggles about retirement. Contrary to what certain 'experts' have written, nowhere does WEJ say Minnie is going to take over Biggles' job!

I think I said something similar, SA. Can't remember whether it was on the old forum or not. I've had a swift glance through my copy just to check. Minnie is recruited to the Special Air Police, but not to take over Biggles job. Goodness knows where that particular rumour started, as it appears to be totally unsubstantiated.

Well for starters, it's in By Jove… but then, the same authors (I think, or at least one was the same) at the end of Homework have Marie living in a cottage in Hertfordshire... :nono:

It's the old story, academics and copyeditors recognise it!!!! Somebody says something then several people copy it without bothering to check… And thus it becomes 'fact'.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:48

Hmmm, some quick Googling tells me that the AFC was not awarded for active service, but:

"Instituted in 1918, the Air Force Cross (AFC) was issued for acts of gallantry while flying on non-active operations to warrant officers and officers of the Royal Air Force. It was later made available to equivalent ranks in the Royal Navy and Army for acts of gallantry in the air.

The equivalent award for the other ranks for acts of gallantry in the air on non-active operations was the Air Force Medal (AFM), instituted at the same time as the AFC and which was also later made available to other ranks of the Royal Navy and Army.

Following the 1993 review, the AFM was discontinued and the AFC became available to all ranks of all services for exemplary gallantry in the air not in presence of the enemy. It is at the same level as the Queen's Gallantry Medal, which is awarded for the same degree of gallantry on land or at sea."

Interesting....so WEJ was trying to establish the fact that, although "Minnie" had not seen active wartime service, he was a fellow who was fearless, brave & a man whose 'action' credentials were impeccable & worthy of membership to "Biggles & Co"??

P.S. Reminds me...I met an older chap in about 1990 who used the "AFC" title on his business card [he was a travel agent of all things, lol], & I assumed he was awarded it in WW2. Given that he was 70-odd it is still possible he did, just not in aerial combat I guess.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Simon Templar » 07 Feb 2014, 20:32

anyone going in with a cheeky bid then? first copy of does some homework for ages that has started at a reasonable price!

My bet is it finishing at £150-£200
Those that live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I went to the museum and saw a Van Gogh painting. Underneath it said "Loaned anonymously."
I went to the front desk and said, "I’d like my Van Gogh back now, please."
Simon Templar
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
Reading now: Blood Sport - Dick Francis
Reading next: Sky Fever
My top chap: Bertie
Random: i can down a pint in 15 seconds

Postby Inactive User 149 » 08 Feb 2014, 10:40

Is it a genuine copy or not? That would make a big difference to the price. Is there any way of telling before you bid?
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 08 Feb 2014, 10:46

It's the hardback edition so should be ok. The fakes are of the paperback.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 08 Feb 2014, 10:59

Sizzling Sausages wrote:It's the hardback edition so should be ok. The fakes are of the paperback.

Did Norman Wright publish both softback & hardback limited editions? Mine is a softback [No.237] I bought in 1997 before I was on the internet, when 1st issued by Norman in the original limited run of 300.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 08 Feb 2014, 11:11

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Did Norman Wright publish both softback & hardback limited editions? Mine is a softback [No.237] I bought in 1997 before I was on the internet, when 1st issued by Norman in the original limited run of 300.

Yes, the softback is the 1st Edition, and later Norman issued the hardback.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 08 Feb 2014, 11:13

Spitfire666 wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:Did Norman Wright publish both softback & hardback limited editions? Mine is a softback [No.237] I bought in 1997 before I was on the internet, when 1st issued by Norman in the original limited run of 300.
Yes, the softback is the 1st Edition, and later Norman issued the hardback.

Ah, I wondered about that...most of his publications were only done once I imagine? [with the exception of Homework it would appear].
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 08 Feb 2014, 11:39

It and Air Ace were the only two he did another run of.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Simon Templar » 12 Feb 2014, 21:24

how much did it go for then?
Those that live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I went to the museum and saw a Van Gogh painting. Underneath it said "Loaned anonymously."
I went to the front desk and said, "I’d like my Van Gogh back now, please."
Simon Templar
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
Reading now: Blood Sport - Dick Francis
Reading next: Sky Fever
My top chap: Bertie
Random: i can down a pint in 15 seconds

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 12 Feb 2014, 22:29

It's got 14 hours to go - up to over 98 pounds at the moment:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biggles-Does- ... 1032811598
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby SaintedAunt » 12 Feb 2014, 22:37

Barely got going :)

A reprint of Camels Are Coming this evening went for just over £180 - it was a nice-looking copy but not one of the earliest reprints. My copy doesn't appear in James' Biggles Online list - it has red titles on the spine! Somebody said gold could turn into red!!!!!! Is this true? If not - why and when did Hamilton print some red ones????
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 Feb 2014, 08:05

SaintedAunt wrote:Barely got going :) A reprint of Camels Are Coming this evening went for just over £180 - it was a nice-looking copy but not one of the earliest reprints. My copy doesn't appear in James' Biggles Online list - it has red titles on the spine! Somebody said gold could turn into red!!!!!! Is this true? If not - why and when did Hamilton print some red ones????

That rings a few bells with me too! I think I've read somewhere else [another forum yrs ago] that when the spines fade & the "gilt" or gold colouring has completely gone, the underlying area looks reddish/brownish?

Which reminds me, I was reading a bit in By Jove just recently that talked about the last Hamilton WEJ title published by them in 1940 [I think it was Unknown Quantity].

Led me to some other info online ["History of British Publishing" website] that suggested many publishing companies were 'bombed out of existence" during the Blitz, & in particular:

"On the night of 29-30 December 1940 Paternoster Row was nearly demolished by bombing. The effects of this single bombing raid were catastrophic to the trade. Whitakers’ premises were burned out.

Other publishers that were hit included Longmans, Nelsons, Hutchinsons, Ward Lock, Sheed and Ward, Sampson, Low, Bailey Brothers and Stonehams. Simpkins, the wholesalers and their total stock were destroyed, which had devastating long-term consequences for distribution and wholesaling in the booktrade.
Separate bombing raids through the duration of the Blitz obliterated the premises of Cassells, Harraps, Jones and Evans’ shop and Hodder and Stoughton, at their premises in Kent."

While not specifically mentioned, I wonder if this was the period of the demise [i.e. in late Dec. 1940] of the Hamilton Publishing Co?
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 13 Feb 2014, 08:42

The discusion in By Jove goes on to discuss this (in the same paragraph about Unknown Quantity). It assumes they were bombed out of existence in 1941 but doesn't state it definitively. It also mentions damage caused by fire to their warehouses. And interestingly, notes that it continued on paper as a company until 1968.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 Feb 2014, 08:58

Sizzling Sausages wrote:The discusion in By Jove goes on to discuss this (in the same paragraph about Unknown Quantity). It assumes they were bombed out of existence in 1941 but doesn't state it definitively. It also mentions damage caused by fire to their warehouses. And interestingly, notes that it continued on paper as a company until 1968.

Yes, I remember the part about the co. 'continuing' until 1968 [curiously, same year WEJ passed], so I went off Googling to see if I could find an exact reference to Hamilton's demise, but without any specific mention other than the eventful Paternoster Row bombing 29/12/40. I guess I was just just curious to see if I could find out exactly where "32 Bloomsbury St. London" was, without any success.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby James » 13 Feb 2014, 10:15

SaintedAunt wrote:Barely got going :)

A reprint of Camels Are Coming this evening went for just over £180 - it was a nice-looking copy but not one of the earliest reprints. My copy doesn't appear in James' Biggles Online list - it has red titles on the spine! Somebody said gold could turn into red!!!!!! Is this true? If not - why and when did Hamilton print some red ones????

Yes its possible, the gold leaf has to adhere to something and I think its the ink underneath that remains when the gold fades. The spine of a book tends to get a lot of handling and exposure. Its also possible its a variant not listed. Ian would be in the best place to answer that one though.
James
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: Does some Homework
Reading now: The Colour of Magic

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 13 Feb 2014, 21:49

So, I see it went for 186 pounds (approx $AU345) - not too bad compared to what they used to go for. To one of the regular collectors again, though.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby SaintedAunt » 13 Feb 2014, 23:09

That is very cheap indeed. I thought ids were hidden in ebay?
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 13 Feb 2014, 23:17

The first and last initials stay the same and the feedback number is real, so you can make a pretty educated guess, not of who it actually is, but whether it's the same bidder/buyer.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby SaintedAunt » 13 Feb 2014, 23:31

Ah yes, I wondered if that was so - I didn't know whether they picked first and last letters/numbers at random or used the actual values. I do usually think a very high number is probably a bookseller, or a very wealthy collector :)
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby hurricane_k-4 » 12 Feb 2016, 11:50

>Interestingly, this same seller also was going to list a book called Western Front (or possibly Biggles on the Western Front) and that is another fraudulent copy - this time with the title changed. It is clearly a copy of Air Ace

I know this is an old thread, but Western Front was not created as a "copy" of Air Ace (although the preface does reference Air Ace). It was a consolidation of IBA short-story reprints and a few other short stories which I believe are still unpublished officially (outside of their original publication through periodicals). Air Ace has 10 short stories, Western Front has 14 - of which 8 are common to both books.

Common:
Biggles' Xmas Box!
Biggles' Christmas Box!
Biggles and the Joker!
Biggles' Night Out!
The Fledglings
Biggles "On the spot"
Biggles' Exciting Night!
Biggles takes the bait!

Unique to Air Ace:
The Case of the Somerset Farmer (not included in Western Front due to being set later - post WW2 Air Police)
Simple Arithmetic (as above)

Unique to Western Front:
"Hard Case" Carrington
Reunion
So this is War
Spitfire Parade
Sausage and Mash
Biggles on the trail
hurricane_k-4
Officer cadet
Officer cadet