Biggles Flies Again

Biggles Flies Again

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 06 Mar 2014, 08:56

I've never been able to afford a Hamilton Biggles on eBay & at 1st glance this one appears to have been sold at a "cheap" price, however the condition of the book was quite poor & only 2 'plates' were present. Is this still too much to pay do you think? Or cheap? [given what a Hamilton in any condition or reprint was selling for a few yrs ago]:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGLES-FLIES-A ... true&rt=nc
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Biggles Flies Again

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Mar 2014, 09:35

It was sold by Stella & Rose who are a very reputable bookseller and have a lot of Biggles books. What I would say is, generally, they ask above the average ebay price on ebay (if that makes sense) and a lot of their 'Buy It Now's are not bought. Looking at it, somebody must have been desperate for a Hamilton edition! I wouldn't have bought it. There have been better ones on ebay over the past year than that, at comparable prices.

If you go to their website (http://www.stellabooks.com) the books offered on ebay are usually for sale at a slightly lower price (presumably taking into account the ebay fee).
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2014, 19:53

I poked my nose in some year ago. Fascinating shop, but the prices of the books are still paramount for me. I would have to be desperate to own the book to buy one that didn't have ALL it's pages e.g one that I've never read as long as all the reading pages were there. And even then, the price would have to be very low. Somehow, charging the earth for a book in not very good condition seems to be not uncommon these says. Bur as we've said in another thread the internet has opened up the market!

To answer your question OzB, I wouldn't pay that much for that particular book, Hamilton's or not.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 06 Mar 2014, 22:33

Yes, that's certainly not worth the effort. My one and only Biggles Hamilton is Flies Again - it too isn't in great condition but it's certainly better than that and I think only cost me about $AU50.
S&R do list their books at over the top prices - I've picked up a few from them at a decent price over the years but of late they seem to be determined to price themselves out of the market. Perhaps they haven't realised that prices are starting to come down from the silly heights of a couple of years back.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices