Check these out

Check these out

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 02 Aug 2014, 03:46

Oh my - just imagine how much this is going to go for.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1934-First-Ed ... 259330acbf

And I imagine this won't be very cheap either.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Biggles-Co-r ... 1c43cb4416
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Re: Check these out

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 02 Aug 2014, 03:58

Wow! And the Camel Squadron jacket is an original in remarkably good condition...I will watch with interest, but there is no way I can make a serious bid, unless I re-mortgage the house, lol.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Aug 2014, 07:35

The Camels jacket is in such good condition it looks too good to be real. I bet that will go for a four figure sum.

What's happened to the aeroplane on the jacket of & Co - it looks as if somebody has painted it!
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 02 Aug 2014, 09:34

Well, I've got a birthday coming up. Hmm. A possibility at this price but it's not going to stay there, is it?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Fairblue » 02 Aug 2014, 09:38

Ooh, just noticed it's a Hamilton, too. **drool**
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Aug 2014, 09:42

There are plenty of later Hamilton editions of that book, but rarely a first edition on ebay, let alone with such a pristine jacket <big sigh, wants but can't afford>
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 02 Aug 2014, 09:51

When I see this sort of thing I wonder whether the owner has died and it's been found in a box in the attic. I'm strongly tempted. Wonder how much dosh there'll be down the back of the sofa?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 02 Aug 2014, 10:15

I always wonder whether the owner/ex-owner has a complete collection of 1st Ed. Hamiltons in pristine jackets waiting to be sold on eBay...but alas, I could not afford any of them. :sigh2:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 02 Aug 2014, 15:25

It's only 51 quid at the mo'! I suppose there'll be a bidding war in the last half hour. :D

BTW, What's with the swastika on the blue German biplane?
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Aug 2014, 23:28

Camel Squadron is most definitely not a first edition. At best it's the 3rd (or maybe better to call it the second reprint) published in late 1935.

I asked the seller for more details because he had lots of photos but none of them much good for identifying it (no publishing dates on Hamilton editions unfortunately) and it just doesn't match the information on sites like James' site, DR B's site and other info like that on AbeBooks.

Stella & Rose (AbeBooks) have a copy of what I think may be the same edition at just over £1000. That suggests it should go for less than £1000 on ebay except for the fact that it has a very good jacket.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 03 Aug 2014, 04:18

Crazy Man Michael wrote:It's only 51 quid at the mo'! I suppose there'll be a bidding war in the last half hour. :D

BTW, What's with the swastika on the blue German biplane?

While not an expert on the matter [maybe one of our historians here can explain further] it is my understanding that the Swastika was considered an emblem of good luck by many German aviators in WW1, even though it was not a national or political symbol for Germany as yet.

The Nazi Party adopted the Swastika in 1920, & later was the German nation's flag in WW2, hence it's notoriety. I think the swastika is 'reversed' in many cultures & religions, but certainly dates back thousands of years in many contexts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#A ... _of_Nazism

And here's another interesting comment I found on 'The Aerodrome' website which states that some "Allied fliers also used swastikas - most notably Raoul Lufbery on his SPAD VII."

Very interesting...

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/1998/ ... craft.html
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 03 Aug 2014, 22:46

Definitely drooling... but both will be way out of my price range once the bidding war heats up :sigh2: I wonder what Mr RSG would think if I sold his motorbike to finance buying The Camels are Coming... :lol: :twisted:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 Aug 2014, 22:49

Hmm. I can't think he'd be terribly pleased.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby tiffinata » 03 Aug 2014, 22:53

I'd need to check my facts, but I think it was Hitler who reversed the swastika. It had been a good luck symbol until then. Now you see it in any form and people think of the Nazis.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 Aug 2014, 22:55

I saw it on statues of the Buddha in China and it threw me for a loop.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 04 Aug 2014, 07:14

kylie_koyote wrote:Hmm. I can't think he'd be terribly pleased.

He just laughed when I suggested it. Somehow I think he's angling for a new bike 8-)
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Aug 2014, 07:37

tiffinata wrote:I'd need to check my facts, but I think it was Hitler who reversed the swastika. It had been a good luck symbol until then. Now you see it in any form and people think of the Nazis.

I believe you are quite correct, & this appearance of the 'left hand' swastika has a negative concept or meaning close to 'Magic'.

The 'right hand' swastika [used by anyone from the North American Indians to Baden-Powell in the scout movement], on the other hand, has a positive connotation.

The earliest swastika symbol in Europe found dates back 12,000 years or so according to this website & the word swastika itself is "a Sanskrit word (‘svasktika’) meaning ‘It is’, ‘Well Being’, ‘Good Existence, and ‘Good Luck’:

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-le ... 12#!bu8IU4
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 04 Aug 2014, 08:21

over 200 pounds at the moment.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 04 Aug 2014, 10:26

I get really curious about who buys these books for the big money. Surely if somebody loves Biggles that much they'd be a member of this forum - how could they not? :lol:
Like most others here, I'd dearly love to have a go but it's simply beyond me. But if somebody has the impeccable taste to love Biggles books and the good fortune to be able to afford to grab something like this when it comes up, I think the only other thing they would need in life would be to join the good folk here :wave: . I wouldn't be jealous (not much, anyway :roll: ) but I'd love to see their collection on the pictures thread!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Aug 2014, 10:51

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I get really curious about who buys these books for the big money. Surely if somebody loves Biggles that much they'd be a member of this forum - how could they not? :lol:
Like most others here, I'd dearly love to have a go but it's simply beyond me. But if somebody has the impeccable taste to love Biggles books and the good fortune to be able to afford to grab something like this when it comes up, I think the only other thing they would need in life would be to join the good folk here :wave: . I wouldn't be jealous (not much, anyway :roll: ) but I'd love to see their collection on the pictures thread!

It's not me! [I wish, lol] Yes, I reckon there are some 'mystery' buyers out there with big bucks to splash around. Like you, I would love to see them [& pics] on the forum & tell us their secret to abundant wealth & ability to afford Hamilton eds at such prices. :D

I mean to say, we have 127 members on the nominal roll here on the forum...it would be interesting [though impossible] to know if this 'core' of addicts forms 0.01%, 1%, 5%, 10% etc of all serious collectors out there in the world wide web? Judging from the prices expected by sellers [& the way buyers are still buying, lol] on these top shelf items, there must be still a fair sized collector base out there. Although, prices have come down in the last 10 yrs or so.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Aug 2014, 13:57

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I get really curious about who buys these books for the big money. Surely if somebody loves Biggles that much they'd be a member of this forum - how could they not?

If they were that serious about Biggles books they probably wouldn't join the forum ;)
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 04 Aug 2014, 14:11

Do some people buy them purely as an investment and not to enjoy? The way some people collect coins or stamps, but then put them in a safe deposit box and never admire them?
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 04 Aug 2014, 14:57

SaintedAunt wrote:
Sizzling Sausages wrote:I get really curious about who buys these books for the big money. Surely if somebody loves Biggles that much they'd be a member of this forum - how could they not?

If they were that serious about Biggles books they probably wouldn't join the forum ;)

They might keep an eye on it without being members, just to see if advance warning of any gems is given here, or if someone is offering something 'in house'.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Postby Spitfire666 » 04 Aug 2014, 20:03

kylie_koyote wrote:Do some people buy them purely as an investment and not to enjoy? The way some people collect coins or stamps, but then put them in a safe deposit box and never admire them?

What a horrible thought :!: :(
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby DrBiggles » 04 Aug 2014, 20:32

I don't think this Camel Squadron is the first edition. I contacted the seller and he said there was no catalogue in the back. The first edition had the Spring 1934 catalogue.
DrBiggles
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Fairblue » 04 Aug 2014, 20:42

I contacted the seller too. He said the boards were blue with black lettering. According to James' website the boards should on a first edition should be blue on gold lettering.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Aug 2014, 22:48

I think it's likely to be the third edition (or 2nd reprinting if you prefer) - late 1934. The seller seems an ok person - he had no idea that Hamiltons were such a minefield. He said that somebody told him they'd pay hundreds of £ even if it wasn't the first edition! That, I suspect, would be because of the jacket - which if it really is the original is in amazingly good condition.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 04 Aug 2014, 23:50

Yes, it's the jacket that makes it so collectable, regardless of what actual edition it is, really.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Dover Patrol » 07 Aug 2014, 09:01

I agree with the other comments as it's definitely not a first edition. The jacket looks superb, however. Almost too good to be true! :eh:

I think my wife would probably kill me if I bid for this book! ;)
Dover Patrol
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Fairblue » 07 Aug 2014, 09:02

But it's still advertised as a 1st Edition, which is a bit naughty. Now the seller knows he has no excuse.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Next

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices