Places to buy Biggles & Captain W.E. Johns books(discussion)

Re: Places to buy Biggles & Captain W.E. Johns books(discuss

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 28 Nov 2014, 01:50

Spitfire666 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:They don't sell anything - but are willing to offer exchanges if what you offer is of interest. I've been going through my library of old books and some 1950s 33 vinyls to see if they'd be willing to trade. He took the two books I'm interested in off the shelf, anyway!!! So, who knows... :)

Fingers crossed, RSG :!:

Wow! Sounds like an amazing place...I've never seen Biggles books lying around in a shop before as part of the 'decor', amazing. Maybe the owner is a former collector? Good luck in your quest. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Feb 2015, 11:11

Well...having spent the day Biggles' book hunting with tiff, I now have to humbly acknowledge that Melbourne's 2nd hand book shops run rings around anything I've found in my Sunshine State :mrgreen: I have bought a l.o.t of books today (just have to figure how to squeeze them into our bags for the flight home on Thursday (Mr RSG was completely unfazed when tiff delivered me back at my mother-in-law's with three heavy bags of books - lovely man :D ).

The best find had to be the first of in Spain, (no dj) for $60!! Given the prices my not-so-favourite shop in Maleny lists for firsts, I really can't believe how lucky I am. And all thanks to tiff - she knew it was there and pointed it out to me :thumbup: I'm a very happy little vegemite indeed :bounce: :bounce:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 15 Feb 2015, 11:18

That's great, RSG.You're filling up those new bookshelves of yours wisely.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 15 Feb 2015, 12:34

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Well...having spent the day Biggles' book hunting with tiff, I now have to humbly acknowledge that Melbourne's 2nd hand book shops run rings around anything I've found in my Sunshine State :mrgreen: I have bought a l.o.t of books today (just have to figure how to squeeze them into our bags for the flight home on Thursday (Mr RSG was completely unfazed when tiff delivered me back at my mother-in-law's with three heavy bags of books - lovely man :D ).

The best find had to be the first of in Spain, (no dj) for $60!! Given the prices my not-so-favourite shop in Maleny lists for firsts, I really can't believe how lucky I am. And all thanks to tiff - she knew it was there and pointed it out to me :thumbup: I'm a very happy little vegemite indeed :bounce: :bounce:

Congratulations on your finds, and may you have many hours of enjoyment with them.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 15 Feb 2015, 13:00

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Well...having spent the day Biggles' book hunting with tiff, I now have to humbly acknowledge that Melbourne's 2nd hand book shops run rings around anything I've found in my Sunshine State :mrgreen: I have bought a l.o.t of books today (just have to figure how to squeeze them into our bags for the flight home on Thursday (Mr RSG was completely unfazed when tiff delivered me back at my mother-in-law's with three heavy bags of books - lovely man :D ).

Wow, awesome find...well done you! :D :yay:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Feb 2015, 14:12

Splendid finds!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Tommy Smith » 15 Feb 2015, 15:54

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Capt-W-E-John ... 1664056839
'We are auctioning a large collection of W. E. Johns titles over the next few weeks, most of which are first editions.'
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 15 Feb 2015, 22:04

That's one to keep an eye on, TS

Yes, RSG, Master Seven and I had a cracker of a day.

Amongst others I picked up 'Letters of T.E. Lawrence' and 'Letters of an Airman'. This little book is a collection of Geoffry Wall's letters and poems sent home to Australia while he was with the RFC. Sadly he was killed in 1917 and is buried in Wallasey Cemetery, Cheshire. The family lived not too far from where I work.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2015, 01:50

Tommy Smith wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Capt-W-E-Johns-Ace-High-rare-1936-1st-HB-DJ-Illustrated-by-Howard-Leigh/261764679440?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29316%26meid%3D594ddbcb84544372bcee2933cd0734a0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D181664056839
'We are auctioning a large collection of W. E. Johns titles over the next few weeks, most of which are first editions.'

Yes, I spotted this seller on eBay a couple of days ago & the Hamiltons will be interesting to 'watch' as things heat up, lol.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 25 May 2015, 07:19

Has anyone else seen this one? A rare first ed of Commodore

Bids start at $AUD499.00, but you can buy it now for $1,999.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-Biggles-Air-Commodore-first-Edition-1937-WE-Johns-/151692571394?vectorid=229515&lgeo=1&rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=836339389510
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 25 May 2015, 08:45

Yes, I have. Too rich for me, I'm afraid. I have set up alerts on an online auction site which alerts me that certain things are on sale in auction rooms throughout the UK and beyond. Last week I bid on 16 WEJ books two of which was Wings of Romance and Comrades in Arms both with DJs. The price went up to £150, which was beyond me. A second lot of books without DJs went for that price also.

About three weeks ago there was a lot consisting of assorted books and Money boxes on sale at our local auction rooms. The money boxes were a collection of five different pigs promoting a certain bank which in the '80's were used to encourage children to save. The assorted books consisted of 11 Collins pocket classics complete with DJs and seven Biggles books, one of which was a Sees Too Much complete with a DJ. Mr FB got the lot for £80. I sold the Collins Classics for £75 and the money boxes for £40. So not only did I get a jacketed Sees Too Much for nothing I got a profit as well. The other Biggles books were Dean & Son's and one Kingston Library Flies Again.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 May 2015, 13:03

Wow!

I found a seller in Pennsylvania, who may or may not have known what they were, who sold me two early printings for $10/apiece plus shipping. They've not arrived yet (today's a holiday so there is no mail) but I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 25 May 2015, 13:57

Fairblue wrote:About three weeks ago there was a lot consisting of assorted books and Money boxes on sale at our local auction rooms. The money boxes were a collection of five different pigs promoting a certain bank which in the '80's were used to encourage children to save. The assorted books consisted of 11 Collins pocket classics complete with DJs and seven Biggles books, one of which was a Sees Too Much complete with a DJ. Mr FB got the lot for £80. I sold the Collins Classics for £75 and the money boxes for £40. So not only did I get a jacketed Sees Too Much for nothing I got a profit as well. The other Biggles books were Dean & Son's and one Kingston Library Flies Again.

Haha! Not half bad bit of dealership, Bargain-Hunt style :)
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Postby Fairblue » 11 Jun 2015, 17:41

I received an email from World of Rare Books in my email this morning, the header of which was 'Gone but not forgotten.'

I nearly deleted it without checking but I thought I'd check it out and I'm so glad I did. It's advertising a sale of books of authors who are no longer with us. Then on a whim I entered 'Biggles' and got 10 pages to look at. On another whim I entered Wings of Romance ( a Steeley adventure). Regular forum members will know I've been bemoaning the loss of my copy years ago and could never afford to replace it. To my surprise, they have a copy, with DJ for only £14.75!
I didn't even hesitate but ordered it straight away. A thirty years search is over. Find of the year for me! :woohoo: :bounce: :banana:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 11 Jun 2015, 17:55

Fairblue wrote: To my surprise, they have a copy, with DJ for only £14.75!
I didn't even hesitate but ordered it straight away. A thirty years search is over. Find of the year for me! :woohoo: :bounce: :banana:

!!!!! Wow! :bluebounce: :atomic: :atomic: :bluebounce:
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 11 Jun 2015, 20:42

Congratulations! :cheers: That's splendid news.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 12 Jun 2015, 04:02

kylie_koyote wrote:Congratulations! :cheers: That's splendid news.

Well done FB! I get those emails from World of Rare books too, must read them more carefully next time. :? My 30yr quest is for a reasonably priced Hamilton Biggles, & so long as all the illustrations & frontispiece is intact I don't care about edition etc. I have several Hamiltons [a couple WEJ's & a few other aviation authors], but it's not the same. :D
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 12 Jun 2015, 07:23

I get them as well, but never saw it until after you posted. Drat the time zone difference!

(congrats, BTW!)
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Previous

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices