To Worlds Unknown

To Worlds Unknown

Postby Marcel » 09 May 2014, 14:54

Hi everyone, I'm new here as you can see. I was just wondering if anyone was able to tell me where I can either find a copy to purchase of this book at a reasonable price or at least somewhere I can find a free pdf/ebook so that I can at least read it. I've spent quite a while looking for it and every time I find a copy it sells for much more than I can afford. Any help is much appreciated.
Marcel
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: The Edge Of Beyond
Reading now: The Death Rays Of Ardilla
Reading next: The rest of the space series
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire or Camel

Re: To Worlds Unknown

Postby Janet_B » 09 May 2014, 19:38

Hello and welcome! I joined a week ago and the folks here seem very informed, and very Biggles, =) so I don't think you'll be waiting long for the answers you need.
Janet_B
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 May 2014, 19:38

Welcome!

:welcome2:

I don't know about the book though, but surely someone here does!

Dr. Biggles' amazing site has some images and summaries of this one: http://www.wejohns.com/SciFi/
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 09 May 2014, 19:55

Hi Marcel, Glad to meet you.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 09 May 2014, 23:11

Hello and welcome! It's very surprising but none of the usual suspects - Ebay, AbeBooks, Amazon, nor even Barely Read Books or Stella & Rose's, appear to have a copy at the moment, at least not a cheap one. They're the main places to check but I'm sure you're already aware of most of them. It would seem you'll just have to keep at it, unfortunately.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby tiffinata » 09 May 2014, 23:16

wish I had an answer. I thought I might have seen it somewhere recently. I'm not into space much, so I probably would have overlooked it.

Welcome!
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 10 May 2014, 05:24

Hello Marcel & another welcome from Downunder! I too am surprised this one is not showing up for sale on all the 'usual' sites SS has suggested. I have some paperbacks of the earlier titles that were reprinted in the 80's by 'Piccolo' [i.e. Kings of Space & Return to Mars etc], but I am not sure if the later titles were done as paperbacks. Hmm, maybe these only came out in HB format in limited runs from 1960 onwards.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Marcel » 10 May 2014, 14:32

Thanks for all the replies. I know that Death Rays Of Ardilla was reprinted by Piccolo because I have that copy and also because I managed to borrow it fro mthe library a few years back which made me realise the space books were worth reading. Fingers crossed I manage to get a copy but thanks again for all the help.
Marcel
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: The Edge Of Beyond
Reading now: The Death Rays Of Ardilla
Reading next: The rest of the space series
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire or Camel

Postby von Zoyton » 13 May 2014, 10:45

I am reading Kings of Space again for the first time in 30 years.
Still a super read, though I really wonder if a ship can be powered by cosmic rays. :lol: :laughspit:

Looking forward to my next: Return to Mars. I have read some of the other Space books but not Return to Mars and I lusted after it for years after reading Kings of Space.

:pianonana:
Quick! Untie us before they realise you're not a God, you're just an American. (From that film!)

--

My webdesign: http://www.greylizardwebdesign.co.uk/
My creative stuff: http://www.justintuijl.com/
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

My top chap: Biggles
Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 May 2014, 11:55

I read the 1st two in sequence [which helps, lol] & really enjoyed them. I also recall writing a very short story about the "Spacemaster" space ship, which crash landed on the moon, for an English essay in late primary school...only slight plagiarism I assure you [ahem :oops: ]. But, it was the only time I ever attempted to write a sci-fi snippet...my brother was far more successful in the fantasy/sci-fi writing stakes [& used his imagination, unlike me, the copy cat, hehe]. He was a great writer of mostly fantasy & I have in my possession his only 'published' book of short stories. I admire greatly all the writers here, of whatever genre.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices