Modern Boy on eBay

Modern Boy on eBay

Postby Wanderer » 05 Feb 2018, 06:25

FYI, the British-based seller pamphilon has about 50 Modern Boys with Biggles content currently listed at a starting price of 2.99 pounds each. You won't get these any cheaper, even if you bid double! And don't worry, I've got all of them so am only bidding on his non-Biggles ones...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MODERN-BOY- ... SwHYpZ-gA2

There are some very good ones here including 365 Biggles and the Joker, RFC story uncollected till Biggles Air Ace, some other RFC stories including Algy's introduction in The Boob, 8/14 of Biggles Flies East, 10/12 of Treasure Hunt (Flies West), 6/10 of Goes to War, 5/10 Mountain of Light (Hits the Trail), 5/8 of Flies Again, etc.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Re: Modern Boy on eBay

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Feb 2018, 12:16

Ooh, thanks for the tip!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 05 Feb 2018, 13:36

These are tempting, but I have all the family birthdays coming up, I've spent my own birthday money and I must not, no matter how much I like those early illustrations.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 11 Feb 2018, 02:01

I ended up getting 14 of these, was outbid on 5 others and already had the rest. Good prices, ranging from around $5 - $8 each (3-4 pounds). BUT they've charged me 35 pounds postage to Australia, which almost doubles the price. :o Sometimes living in this part of the world does have its disadvantages!
Now they've listed another bunch - oh dear.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby Wanderer » 12 Feb 2018, 07:37

I got 38 I didn't have (no Biggles) mostly at the base price plus postage that added about 50% so not as cheap as I should like and have blown my WEJ budget for the foreseeable future. The postage is always dreadful on books once the weight goes over 1kg. Its worse now from Australia to the UK. I think most of those now listed are relists from those unsold, many with WEJ content including Joker that last sold on eBay for about 20-quid or so!
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 12 Feb 2018, 10:16

What annoyed me was that, last October, I bought from a seller in Scotland, 25 Modern Boys, 8 small books, and one other magazine, and the postage was 37 pounds. So I was charged only 2 pounds less for a considerably less amount of material.
Glad to see you got so many others, anyway!
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 12 Feb 2018, 11:40

Sizzling Sausages wrote:I ended up getting 14 of these, was outbid on 5 others and already had the rest. Good prices, ranging from around $5 - $8 each (3-4 pounds). BUT they've charged me 35 pounds postage to Australia, which almost doubles the price. :o Sometimes living in this part of the world does have its disadvantages!
Now they've listed another bunch - oh dear.

Am more than happy to forward stuff at cost, SS, if this helps in any way.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby fredleander » 12 Feb 2018, 12:18

Sizzling Sausages wrote:What annoyed me was that, last October, I bought from a seller in Scotland, 25 Modern Boys, 8 small books, and one other magazine, and the postage was 37 pounds. So I was charged only 2 pounds less for a considerably less amount of material.

Not an unusual complaint (if complaint it is). Easy to forget to be happy about the cheap prices one paid for the actual items.... ;) ....

Fred
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series with a twist - from the Pacific War - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60XUJO
fredleander
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Starsign: Taurus
Aircraft: Curtiss P-36

Postby fredleander » 12 Feb 2018, 12:21

Wanderer wrote:FYI, the British-based seller pamphilon has about 50 Modern Boys with Biggles content currently listed at a starting price of 2.99 pounds each. You won't get these any cheaper, even if you bid double! And don't worry, I've got all of them so am only bidding on his non-Biggles ones...

Thank you for posting the link. I got me some of those, too. Looking forward to see what they are about. Seems to be a lot of nice drawings as well. Never have had any of those.

Fred
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series with a twist - from the Pacific War - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60XUJO
fredleander
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 12 Feb 2018, 21:33

Fairblue wrote:Am more than happy to forward stuff at cost, SS, if this helps in any way.

Thanks, FB - something to keep in mind.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Wanderer » 13 Feb 2018, 01:08

fredleander wrote:Thank you for posting the link. I got me some of those, too. Looking forward to see what they are about. Seems to be a lot of nice drawings as well. Never have had any of those. Fred

If you hunt the Forum for the "What do the Chaps Look Like" thread you'll find a heap of images from these that I have posted over the past couple of years.

As the Modern Boy episodes are in most cases the true first editions of the books they are certainly worth having - the illustrations are often better than the published books and certainly give a different perspective to the characters and events. In at least one case (last chapter of Black Peril) the text in the magazine is different to that of the published book, and the episode synopses can give a different perspective as well.

The ones currently listed on eBay are IMO at a very good price and a handy lot for the new collector of them.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby fredleander » 19 Feb 2018, 18:03

Wanderer wrote:As the Modern Boy episodes are in most cases the true first editions of the books they are certainly worth having - the illustrations are often better than the published books and certainly give a different perspective to the characters and events. In at least one case (last chapter of Black Peril) the text in the magazine is different to that of the published book, and the episode synopses can give a different perspective as well.

The magazines arrived in good order. As you write, they are certainly worth having. Interesting to see that the name of the country Biggles and his guys are flying for in "...goes to War" - is different in the magazine than in the Red Fox book edition.

Fred
fredleander
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Spitfire666 » 19 Feb 2018, 18:49

fredleander wrote:
Wanderer wrote:As the Modern Boy episodes are in most cases the true first editions of the books they are certainly worth having - the illustrations are often better than the published books and certainly give a different perspective to the characters and events. In at least one case (last chapter of Black Peril) the text in the magazine is different to that of the published book, and the episode synopses can give a different perspective as well.

The magazines arrived in good order. As you write, they are certainly worth having. Interesting to see that the name of the country Biggles and his guys are flying for in "...goes to War" - is different in the magazine than in the Red Fox book edition.

Fred

The Modern Boy illustrations are mostly excellent and better than other versions (except for Howard Leigh's of course). You can find a selection that Wanderer sent me after he got a whole stack at:
http://themodernboy.bigglesforum.net
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby fredleander » 19 Feb 2018, 19:02

Spitfire666 wrote:The Modern Boy illustrations are mostly excellent and better than other versions (except for Howard Leigh's of course). You can find a selection that Wanderer sent me after he got a whole stack at:

Thank you - they are very nice!

Fred
fredleander
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Spitfire666 » 19 Feb 2018, 20:04

fredleander wrote:
Spitfire666 wrote:The Modern Boy illustrations are mostly excellent and better than other versions (except for Howard Leigh's of course). You can find a selection that Wanderer sent me after he got a whole stack at:

Thank you - they are very nice!

Fred

I like them a lot. I did a talk on them at last year's Twyford meeting and most people thought them better than the books. 8-)
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Return to Where to buy WEJ books, and prices