Biggles Travels mapped out

Biggles, W.E.Johns related and more. Things in the media, newspapers, films, TV etc

Re: Biggles Travels mapped out

Postby Recker » 23 Aug 2017, 21:26

Kismet wrote:There's a lot of Britain that Biggles hasn't visited. He covers much of the South of England and the Scottish Highlands, but virtually all the Midlands, Northern Britain, Southern Scotland, and Wales are unvisited. He never goes to Ireland, either.

Considering that Johns seemed to be fascinated by malevolent sea creatures I'm very surprised Biggles didn't have a run in with Nessie in "The poor rich boy".
Recker
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Recker » 23 Aug 2017, 21:30

kylie_koyote wrote:That's a splendid map, and what a lot of work it must have been!

RE: the USA...

I would like to point out that they do visit New York City on their way south in both "Condor" and "Flies West" (and probably "Flies Again" but it doesn't say).

And Algy and Bertie wait for Biggles in San Francisco in "in Mexico".

Did they stories spend much time in those places? I tried to keep it to where the main parts of the story took place.
Recker
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Aug 2017, 07:02

I love these maps, Recker and Wanderer. I have a wonderful print of WEJ's own map (courtesy of FB) which we brought home with us along with a wonderful Biggles and Chums poster (courtesy of S666). Mr RSG and I are still deciding exactly where to hang the map. I would love to be able to add both of yours at some stage. I love maps :claphappy: :yay: (Oh, and welcome back, Recker.)
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Fairblue » 24 Aug 2017, 08:41

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:I love these maps, Recker and Wanderer. I have a wonderful print of WEJ's own map (courtesy of FB) which we brought home with us along with a wonderful Biggles and Chums poster (courtesy of S666). Mr RSG and I are still deciding exactly where to hang the map. I would love to be able to add both of yours at some stage. I love maps :claphappy: :yay: (Oh, and welcome back, Recker.)

Did you have to fold the map in the end, RSG?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 24 Aug 2017, 11:27

Recker wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:That's a splendid map, and what a lot of work it must have been!

RE: the USA...

I would like to point out that they do visit New York City on their way south in both "Condor" and "Flies West" (and probably "Flies Again" but it doesn't say).

And Algy and Bertie wait for Biggles in San Francisco in "in Mexico".

Did they stories spend much time in those places? I tried to keep it to where the main parts of the story took place.

Algy and Bertie waiting in San Francisco - and then renting a Piper Cub to come and search the desert - is a decent part of the story, although the distance from San Francisco to Mexico in real life makes this quite impossible.

Biggles and Ginger set out from Los Angeles in a hired car and drive to Mexico - plausible. Algy and Bertie wait for them in San Francisco - not really plausible. I'm not sure why they would travel several hundred miles in the opposite direction to wait for Biggles and Ginger. ;) But Bertie was keen to do some sightseeing and we know once he gets an idea in his head, it's hard to shake him.

I made this map for our "Biggles in Mexico" thread a while back to illustrate this. I hope it's useful for you.

"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 29 Aug 2017, 06:40

Fairblue wrote:Did you have to fold the map in the end, RSG?

Unfortunately, we did, FB. But we followed the lines and ensured it was folded correctly as a map should be :yay:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Previous

Return to General Discussions