Biggles Is Back

Biggles, W.E.Johns related and more. Things in the media, newspapers, films, TV etc

Re: Biggles Is Back

Postby Fairblue » 20 Jan 2018, 15:18

Kismet wrote:I rather like that description of Bertie!

Oh, so do I. :love:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 20 Jan 2018, 23:31

Tommy Smith wrote:News article on the last time Biggles returned.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/40952476

'Hero worshiping Ginger'... 'the languid but lethal when-he-has-to-be' Bertie...

There you go, the "argument" has been settled...it's Bertram!! :scared: :scared: :scared:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Frecks » 21 Jan 2018, 15:03

I always thought it was Bertram OzB :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 21 Jan 2018, 15:10

OzBiggles1963 wrote:

'Hero worshiping Ginger'... 'the languid but lethal when-he-has-to-be' Bertie...

There you go, the "argument" has been settled...it's Bertram!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Ha!
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 23 Jan 2018, 09:12

Have just caught up with this!! Very exciting indeed!! I spotted the error too, FB, but too late to score the dancing bananas - well done, Kismet.

We saw Darkest Hour on Saturday, OzB. Really enjoyed it.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Wanderer » 23 Jan 2018, 10:16

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:We saw Darkest Hour on Saturday, OzB. Really enjoyed it.

Me too, and at just about the same time! Completely agree, wonderful movie.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jan 2018, 11:20

Glad to read the reviews here. We're off to see it this afternoon.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 23 Jan 2018, 13:53

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Have just caught up with this!! Very exciting indeed!! I spotted the error too, FB, but too late to score the dancing bananas - well done, Kismet.

Oh yes, it was absolutely Fab! Loved Gary Oldman, have not seen a virtuoso performance like this since Ben Kingsley's Gandhi in 1982...if Oldman does not win an Oscar, there is no justice in this world. Actually, I also thought [Aussie] Ben Mendelsohn was spot on with King George's accent &, ah, mannerisms etc. Sorry Colin [Firth], but Ben did it better & actually looks a lot more like the King imho! :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 23 Jan 2018, 14:22

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Have just caught up with this!! Very exciting indeed!! I spotted the error too, FB, but too late to score the dancing bananas - well done, Kismet.

Oh yes, it was absolutely Fab! Loved Gary Oldman, have not seen a virtuoso performance like this since Ben Kingsley's Gandhi in 1982...if Oldman does not win an Oscar, there is no justice in this world. Actually, I also thought [Aussie] Ben Mendelsohn was spot on with King George's accent &, ah, mannerisms etc. Sorry Colin [Firth], but Ben did it better & actually looks a lot more like the King imho! :D

I’d agree with you on all of the above, OzB. Oldman’s performance was par excellence. Both Mr RSG & I were very taken with Memdelsohn’s portrayal,of King George, also.
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on 23 Jan 2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Tommy Smith » 23 Jan 2018, 16:21

It was very good and worked well after the Dunkirk film to broaden the view on the rapid pace of events. I do not like modern films but enjoyed it, Churchill's speeches, choice of words and pace of delivery as strong as ever. FB's going to have a good afternoon. Everyone acted their socks off.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 23 Jan 2018, 21:08

Tommy Smith wrote:It was very good and worked well after the Dunkirk film to broaden the view on the rapid pace of events. I do not like modern films but enjoyed it, Churchill's speeches, choice of words and pace of delivery as strong as ever. FB's going to have a good afternoon. Everyone acted their socks off.

I agree,TS, with everything you have said. Even Mr FB said he enjoyed it, which is saying something.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby 266 » 10 Feb 2018, 01:55

BigglesReturns wrote:We're entering development. Expect a dedicated website soon with exciting news.

-TeamBiggles.

Excellent. Hoping for a (non-alcoholic) Biggles that enables good use of other pre and post war stories for future movies. Done right, the series has all the entertainment potential of Indiana Jones. Good luck!
Zorotov: "We shall meet again."
Biggles: "If we do, the pleasure will be all yours."
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Underworld
Reading now: Classic Wings
Reading next: War of the Worlds
My top chap: WEJ - the founder of the feast
Aircraft: Concorde
Random: Ahhh....de Havilland....

Postby saladin » 14 Mar 2018, 00:51

Hmm.

10 X 1hr shows culminating in the Pacific theatre?

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to lend itself to portraying any of the novel's. More so the short stories in Spitfire Parade, perhaps. Although, possibly Sweeps The Desert could be done over two or three episodes, Swastika likewise, then Orient/Delivers The Goods. Most likely, I think it'll be an amalgamation and rewriting of various books. Much like the BBC Sherlock draws on original themes and titles but aren't really close renditions of Doyle's first versions.

Will be very interesting to see how they handle it.

I've always thought Biggles onscreen could cater to two distinctly differing markets - gritty and more Adultish , or more adolescent - and finding the balance would be tricky. You could get some seriously grim takes on the horrors of war from the early books in particular.
saladin
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Fairblue » 14 Mar 2018, 00:56

saladin wrote:Hmm.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to lend itself to portraying any of the novel's.....
Well, we shall see how it pans out. For me, getting the characters right is the most important thing. A little poetic licence in the plots I could put up with if it were done properly. Adapting books to the screen is never an easy task.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 14 Mar 2018, 01:00

Fairblue wrote:
saladin wrote:Hmm.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to lend itself to portraying any of the novel's.....
Well, we shall see how it pans out. For me, getting the characters right is the most important thing. A little poetic licence in the plots I could put up with if it were done properly. Adapting books to the screen is never an easy task.

That's how I feel, too. I don't mind new stories if the characters and their relationships are right. I think Biggles is already in two places at the same time at one point in the war, so he might as well be in three.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Indian Civil Service » 14 Mar 2018, 04:05

What about Algy? Do they just send him to India and leave him there?
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby Fairblue » 14 Mar 2018, 10:24

Indian Civil Service wrote:

What about Algy? Do they just send him to India and leave him there?

'the languid but lethal when-he-has-to-be' Bertie.. I like that. :love:

But.....The technical and personal backgrounds to Biggles stories - particularly to the early ones when Biggles was an ex-World War I pilot - should be accurate. This made me grind my teeth. There is no such thing as 'was an ex- anything. You're either an ex or you are still one.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 14 Mar 2018, 12:25

Just don't FB. Monday 12 March BBC 4 Extra programme description - the Old Curiosity shop, ' Little Nell and her grandfather must flea the evil money lender, Quilp'.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 14 Mar 2018, 12:44

The mind boggles TS.

I have serious doubts about anyone capturing the relationships between the team in the 21st Century. The ideals which forged the bonds between the team have long gone out of fashion. Hero worshipping an older man and a more mature man taking a teenage boy into his life and home would only be seen as perverted these days. Similarly the relationship between Biggles and Algy would have to be "gay" and Bertie would most definitely be classed as very openly "gay". The way EVS described the team in Takes A Holiday as being devoid of jealousy and with a total dedication to their leader would not be understood today certainly not in a block buster movie.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 14 Mar 2018, 12:55

All the more reason we need Biggles back more than ever, to stand up for integrity in the face of a culture which tries to drag everything down to gutter level. Look on the bright side. Harry Potter managed to bring back the essence of books like The Worst Witch and Mallory Towers and probably a bit of Famous Five.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 14 Mar 2018, 13:48

Frecks wrote:The mind boggles TS.

I have serious doubts about anyone capturing the relationships between the team in the 21st Century. The ideals which forged the bonds between the team have long gone out of fashion. Hero worshipping an older man and a more mature man taking a teenage boy into his life and home would only be seen as perverted these days. Similarly the relationship between Biggles and Algy would have to be "gay" and Bertie would most definitely be classed as very openly "gay". The way EVS described the team in Takes A Holiday as being devoid of jealousy and with a total dedication to their leader would not be understood today certainly not in a block buster movie.

I think I'm going to disagree somewhat, here. I think that there is a long-established tradition, in films and tv series, of teams with a close bond who will do anything for each other: Star Trek springs instantly to mind but many films / series are based round a set of characters who are very attached to each other and will always go that extra step to rescue / support each other. It makes exciting cinema. I think you are right that the conditions which forged the bonds between the boys no longer exist, but I think that very similar bonds can be forged in different conditions: it is shared adversity rather than World War 1 that makes them. In my opinion, a lot of modern blockbusters are about a leader building high levels of trust to create a team who will follow him (nearly always a him, sadly) anywhere.

The relationship between Biggles and Algy can be portrayed however the producer decides, but certainly, these days, there seems to be a tendency to play things straight with homoerotic teasers in American productions (British ones less so) to try to please all their audience. This unwillingness to confirm the heterosexuality or otherwise of heroes drives me mad. The reluctance to make a character gay in case it offends people but offering teasers to try to keep those offended by the lack of diversity happy is the very worst type of fence sitting and appeasement. Rant over. I agree that Bertie may well be portrayed as gay, but so what? If WEJ was writing now, as well as including representatives of different classes and backgrounds, he might well have included people with different genders and racial backgrounds in the interests of portraying equality. He was showing that everyone's contributions were valid and important. The group of people he would choose nowadays to demonstrate that is likely to be very different to the one he chose nearly eighty years ago.

I agree that there is a problem with Ginger's role. He has to become rather older, really, these days. As, as everybody here knows, I don't like sidekick children who outperform the adults in any book, so this is a change I'm quite happy with. I can understand that it will upset those who relate more to Ginger than I do, but the fashion these days is not for a bright young teenager to aid and abet adults but for them to be the heroes in their own right (Kinsman, Alex Rider, Harry Potter) so his part really has to be re-written.

It's both exciting and worrying to see what the series will look like!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 14 Mar 2018, 13:56

Frecks wrote:The mind boggles TS.

As the series will be set in WW2 it is the relationship that existed then which will be portrayed, as it should be. The ideals which Biggles & Co had has not gone out of fashion. It certainly exists in the Armed Forces today. Only certain traits have gone by the wayside, like the idea that a man must not cry, but the ethos is still very much there. I also don't see why the relationship between Biggles and Algy would have to be gay. WEJ didn't put any women (except Marie and Consuelo) into the books because he knew his audience. Boys didn't want soft stuff. It would be quite easy to portray Algy and Biggles as heterosexual.

I don't know about block buster movies, as I very rarely watch any, but TV programmes like NCIS, Hawaii Five O, and quite a few more have teams that show dedication to their leader. The concept seems to be understood, all right.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Frecks » 14 Mar 2018, 16:51

It will be very interesting to see how they portray all the characters. As you know I always loved Ginger when I was a child - the character appealed to me very much not because of the things he did but because of the way the looked up to Biggles and the way Biggles cared about him. This relationship meant a lot to me because of my personal circumstances and rather lonely and unhappy childhood. My childhood ended when I was 15 and I could never understand mothers who cared what their children did when they were in their twenties or older.

Of course in a series set during WW2 when Ginger would have been very late teens or early twenties the portrayal will be different and in any case I am now an old age pensioner so I have changed a lot myself.

WEJ described Bertie's face as "effeminate" and Bertie "was scared of women" according to one book which did not stop him always standing up for the underdog, male or female, and he was very kind to Jeanette and her mother.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Mar 2018, 19:45

I'm sure no matter what they do, they are bound to upset some people.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Frecks » 14 Mar 2018, 20:10

Yes it is always difficult making films and TV series with well known characters from books especially when they were written a long time ago as things have changed so much over the years.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 15 Mar 2018, 04:51

kylie_koyote wrote:I'm sure no matter what they do, they are bound to upset some people.

Sadly true, But I will be deliriously happy if, on balance of the overall effort, if the creators of the TV series achieve a 60% success rate with fans, old & new. It's a tricky thing [as someone has said], to appeal to the diehard fans [us!] & also to simultaneously try & capture an entirely new audience of potential followers, who have never had the pleasure of meeting 'our Team' before, lol. Not an easy task I am sure. :D Roll on...
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 15 Mar 2018, 09:13

I would say it will have to be better than the 1960s TV series - at least they will have much better production values and special effects also it should be in colour :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 15 Mar 2018, 11:34

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:I'm sure no matter what they do, they are bound to upset some people.

Sadly true, But I will be deliriously happy if, on balance of the overall effort, if the creators of the TV series achieve a 60% success rate with fans, old & new. It's a tricky thing [as someone has said], to appeal to the diehard fans [us!] & also to simultaneously try & capture an entirely new audience of potential followers, who have never had the pleasure of meeting 'our Team' before, lol. Not an easy task I am sure. :D Roll on...

Naw, all they have to do is pop in a few scenes of Algy with his shirt off, Biggles emerging dripping from some river in WW1 riding boots etc, plus flying, danger, cool and lethal restraint, sharp dialogue and great vintage settings and they've nailed it.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 15 Mar 2018, 11:39

Tommy Smith wrote:Naw, all they have to do is pop in a few scenes of Algy with his shirt off, Biggles emerging dripping from some river in WW1 riding boots etc,

Thank you for these images, TS. It's a while since I had a proper Oh, Mr Darcy moment.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 15 Mar 2018, 12:20

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
...Sadly true, But I will be deliriously happy if, on balance of the overall effort, if the creators of the TV series achieve a 60% success rate with fans, old & new. It's a tricky thing [as someone has said], to appeal to the diehard fans [us!] & also to simultaneously try & capture an entirely new audience of potential followers, who have never had the pleasure of meeting 'our Team' before, lol. Not an easy task I am sure. :D Roll on...[Tommy Smith]: Naw, all they have to do is pop in a few scenes of Algy with his shirt off, Biggles emerging dripping from some river in WW1 riding boots etc, plus flying, danger, cool and lethal restraint, sharp dialogue and great vintage settings and they've nailed it.

Haw haw, yes! So ladies, should the young Daniel Craig play Biggles or Algy? :scared: :thinking2: :aarm:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions