Biggles and chess

Biggles, W.E.Johns related and more. Things in the media, newspapers, films, TV etc

Re: Biggles and chess

Postby Frecks » 12 Jan 2016, 13:00

Ginger was a working class boy from a northern mining village. As far as I know WEJ introduced him to appeal to ordinary working class boys as well as upper class Public School boys.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby SopwithCamel » 12 Jan 2016, 14:04

kylie_koyote wrote:Feel free to write that scenario up, soppy. I, for one, would love to read your take on that!

Do you know, I just might :D
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 12 Jan 2016, 14:06

SopwithCamel wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:Feel free to write that scenario up, soppy. I, for one, would love to read your take on that!

Do you know, I just might :D

You could do it as part of the challenge.

Biggles finds a way... To make the princess stop crying. While nibbling on cauliflower and button mushrooms. While watching Manchester play footie.

There. All the hard work's done.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 12 Jan 2016, 14:30

kylie_koyote wrote:Biggles finds a way... To make the princess stop crying. While nibbling on cauliflower and button mushrooms. While watching Manchester play footie.

There. All the hard work's done.

:imao:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 12 Jan 2016, 15:05

In my mind when Biggles says the line about the pilot, he sounds surprised, as though it's a new concept to him...
I wonder too whether in his mind he was wondering if the woman pilot had been the one to crash the plane, and if he was getting ready to make a girls and flying remark along the lines some men use about girls and driving..:twisted:

He sounds surprised in my mind, too, but only because he wasn't expecting a girl to be flying the plane. I'm with S666 on this. I don't think he'd make any snarky remarks about women drivers given the terrain they were flying over.

To make a spoilt princess stop crying, I think he'd threaten to put her over his knee and spank her like the three year old she was behaving as. Or at least think it. Genuine upset, he'd probably manage to pat her on the shoulder and offer a handkerchief. Maybe even manage 'there, there.' He does have experience with men crying, where he pretends not to see it, so that's an option, too.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 12 Jan 2016, 15:13

Algy returns the favor, and instructs Ginger to do the same, in "air commodore" when Biggles gets weepy.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Frecks » 12 Jan 2016, 17:13

Yes I think that was the best thing to do in those days. A couple of times Ginger stands quietly with Biggles when he realises he is upset which I think is rather nice and I love the way he taps Biggles on the shoulder and says we had better move when they think Algy has been killed in Baltic. At the time there was really no hope for them either so they just got on with the mission without much comment.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Leo

Postby SopwithCamel » 12 Jan 2016, 17:35

I'm not sure threatening to put a crying girl over his lap would make her stop crying. Most likely increase the waterworks, if anything. Wonder what he'd do then :twisted:
Probably go for a smoke in hopes that it will be all over when he gets back.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 12 Jan 2016, 17:40

SopwithCamel wrote:I'm not sure threatening to put a crying girl over his lap would make her stop crying. Most likely increase the waterworks, if anything. Wonder what he'd do then :twisted:

It's my good, old fashioned Lancastrian upbringing. Children making a needless fuss were told to be quiet or they'd be given something to cry for.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tommy Smith » 12 Jan 2016, 17:59

No idea how to stop a woman crying. Possibly try a diversion tactic like introducing a spider or snake.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 12 Jan 2016, 19:03

Kismet wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:I'm not sure threatening to put a crying girl over his lap would make her stop crying. Most likely increase the waterworks, if anything. Wonder what he'd do then :twisted:

It's my good, old fashioned Lancastrian upbringing. Children making a needless fuss were told to be quiet or they'd be given something to cry for.

We used to get told that, too :?

TommySmith, that's a good idea. They can't scream AND cry.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby tiffinata » 12 Jan 2016, 20:42

Red Dwarf in an episode where Kochanski is crying Kryten searches his database and comes up with a different method to stop the tears.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 12 Jan 2016, 21:49

Sounds like my darling dad, to be honest. He could never cope with tears :lol:

Tracer wrote:
Kismet wrote:It's my good, old fashioned Lancastrian upbringing. Children making a needless fuss were told to be quiet or they'd be given something to cry for.

We used to get told that, too :?

As did I. I can still see my poor harassed mother turning to me and saying just that. Stopped the tears quick smart! :o

TommySmith, that's a good idea. They can't scream AND cry.

I bet I could if you tossed a snake at me - even if I wasn't having a princess tantrum beforehand :lol: Trust me. I'd be doing both - full bore. :cryblue:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby AngieBiggs » 24 Feb 2016, 18:39

kylie_koyote wrote:Proud female reader right here!

Me too, infact it was a girl who introduced Biggles to me. She and her sister read them...no boys in their family.
AngieBiggs
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: Biggles Flies to Work
Reading now: a few books
Reading next: not sure

Previous

Return to General Discussions