Mount Street

Biggles, W.E.Johns related and more. Things in the media, newspapers, films, TV etc

Re: Mount Street

Postby Fairblue » 10 Aug 2015, 12:37

kylie_koyote wrote:I've learned a lot of daily minutia recently from reading memoirs, rather than historical fiction. My grandfather was very specific in his memoir of how the house was set up, how the furnace worked, etc. We just need to find the right one.

I realized the other day that Rip and Thirty go to a the Fortymore Townhouse, which is also in Mayfair. In American English, a "townhouse" means it is at least two floors. Is that the same in England?

A townhouse in England meant literally a house in the town for a member of the Brtish Nobility, as opposed to their country seat, KK. It would be at least on two floors, usually more, and tended to be long and narrow, as they were all built on a small footprint to squeeze more in. Usually, the dining room was on the ground floor, (your first floor, I think, Kylie) to facilitate getting meals from the kitchen which would be in the basement. The drawing-room would be on the first floor and bedrooms and other rooms above that. It could stretch to four stories, not including the basement.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tracer » 10 Aug 2015, 16:39

Search for a photo of the long terrace of Regency town houses leading into Bath for an example of beautiful architecture in this genre. Also seen at the seafront in Brighton.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Jul 2016, 16:29

Me and Tiff were wandering around Mount Street yesterday when we came across these lovely gardens. This shows the interior of one of the 4 bedroom flats as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... adise.html
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 18 Jul 2016, 16:33

Wow, wow and triple wow - what wonderful, beautiful apartments and the garden is sensational. I really do not see Biggles living in quite such luxury. I love the child's bedroom and the piano. It does not quite tie in with Biggles dropping his ash on the carpet and rubbing it in but of course that was a long time ago.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 18 Jul 2016, 16:53

Wonderful. Truly wonderful. What a lovely view. And such an oasis of calm in the middle of the city. I wouldn't have believed the gardens were there either.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 18 Jul 2016, 17:14

The Gardens appear on Google Street view. You can look at them virtually. I knew they were there. I've used them in at least one fic and several rpgs.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby tiffinata » 18 Jul 2016, 17:43

They were beautiful. Algy would love them. I gave the Silver Wattle a hug from Australia.
When I get near my familiar computer I shall post stuff onto various threads.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 18 Jul 2016, 18:42

Looking forward to that Tiff.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 19 Jul 2016, 09:39

Wow. £9million. If one has to live in London, this is the kind of place to live at.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 19 Jul 2016, 10:28

Tracer wrote:Wow. £9million. If one has to live in London, this is the kind of place to live at.

:thumbup:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 19 Jul 2016, 11:38

Yes it would be best although I think there are more Arabs and foreign nationals in the heart of London than British people.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 21 Jul 2016, 07:22

"The name Mount Street comes from Mount Field, which included Oliver's Mount, the remains of fortifications erected during the English Civil war."
http://myparks.westminster.gov.uk/parks ... t-gardens/

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 21 Jul 2016, 08:08

That is very interesting. This Forum certainly makes you think about all sorts of different things.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Previous

Return to General Discussions