666 Squadron DID exist

Biggles, W.E.Johns related and more. Things in the media, newspapers, films, TV etc

666 Squadron DID exist

Postby Fairblue » 28 Nov 2014, 13:38

Today I found in the library the book The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force by James J Halley.

In it I discovered an entry headed 666 Squadron.

No 666 Squadron belonged to the RCAF during it's short existence in WW2 but finally entered the RAF post-war as an entry in Wikipedia testifies. Note the aircraft used!

Formation and World War II
No. 666 Squadron RCAF was first formed on 5 March 1945 at RAF Andover as an air observation post (AOP) squadron associated with the Canadian 1st Army. After a period working together with the Canadian army and later with the occupation forces in Germany the squadron disbanded on 30 September 1946.

Post-war
As the number was not transferred to the Canadian authorities, it was revived post-war when the squadron was reformed as No. 666 (Scottish) Squadron RAuxAF, part of the RAuxAF on 1 May 1949 at Scone. Equipped with Auster AOP.6 aircraft, the squadrons headquarters was based at RAF Perth/Scone, with three detached flights, Nos. 1966, 1967 and 1968 Flight RAF at respectively RAF Perth/Scone, RAF Renfrew (later RAF Abbotsinch) and RAF Turnhouse, before it was disbanded on 10 March 1957 by transferring to the Army Air Corps.

It's motto is "Speculatus ascendimus" - "We ascend to observe".

Not quite the same as the 666 we know and love but nevertheless.....
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: 666 Squadron DID exist

Postby kylie_koyote » 28 Nov 2014, 13:49

I came across a reference to it somewhere in my googling. I wonder if they "got" it and made jokes about it?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby auster_aiglet » 28 Nov 2014, 14:21

266 Squadron existed as well. It was certainly flying Hunters in the 1960's (Biggles in the Terai?) and, possibly, Venoms before that.

Anyway, who doesn't like an Auster? :D

Myles
auster_aiglet
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby Steamloco4468 » 17 Jun 2015, 19:46

In one book of mine it says that 666 squadron served as a liason squadron with the army and flew Auster aircraft! I will dig it out and write it verse and chapter what it says. The book is British Aircraft of World War II
Steamloco4468
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: Department 19: Darkest Night
Reading now: Satley Firing Days
Reading next: Harrow and Wealdstone: 50 Years On
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Thunderbird 1

Return to General Discussions