Spitfire Parade query

Discuss a Biggles book!

Spitfire Parade query

Postby Tracer » 17 Feb 2014, 17:00

I haven't read all the books.....

You all say that Spitfire Parade is not worth getting (thank you :) ) except for a few snippets about Bertie meeting Biggles, and Tug too.

is there any way I can read these snippets without buying a book that I'm not going to like? :-? especially as I am such a Bertie fan?
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Re: Spitfire Parade query

Postby Kismet » 17 Feb 2014, 17:34

Tracer wrote:I haven't read all the books.....

You all say that Spitfire Parade is not worth getting (thank you :) ) except for a few snippets about Bertie meeting Biggles, and Tug too.

is there any way I can read these snippets without buying a book that I'm not going to like? :-? especially as I am such a Bertie fan?

I liked Spitfire Parade despite its flaws until I read the original WW1 stories it was based on, which were generally so much better . I think you might have to get Spitfire Parade as the snippets are spread throughout the book and I think it would be difficult to pull out just the bits that refer to 666 squadron members. Bertie is quite a prominent character throughout.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Feb 2014, 17:42

Tracer wrote:You all say that Spitfire Parade is not worth getting (thank you :) ) except for a few snippets about Bertie meeting Biggles, and Tug too.

If you can find a copy cheaply it would be worth getting. What I would say is that I read this book when I was about 12 or so: when I then read the originals they blew me away. It just does not have the impact of Johns other WW2 books. If you compare the stories with the originals (WW1) the writing is much better in the earlier ones. It does have some good moments, and I much prefer little Annie the pig to the goldfish in the original story. Are you in the UK Tracer? If so you could order the book from the library, I think.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2014, 17:44

It's not bad, it's just not WEJ's best. But it does have some gems, so you should definitely read it if you can.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Feb 2014, 17:44

Kismet wrote:I liked Spitfire Parade despite its flaws until I read the original WW1 stories it was based on, which were generally so much better .

That's it, isn't it Kismet? I liked it until I read the originals too, maybe because I wanted to like it.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 17 Feb 2014, 17:50

Spitfire666 wrote:
Kismet wrote:I liked Spitfire Parade despite its flaws until I read the original WW1 stories it was based on, which were generally so much better .

That's it, isn't it Kismet? I liked it until I read the originals too, maybe because I wanted to like it.

I had read Spitfire Parade' first, and there was a gap in between of a good few years before I read the WW1 stories. When my brain finally caught up I thought "that seems familiar." The penny still didn't drop until I joined the forum.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2014, 17:56

I read the Red Fox comic first. Apart from some questionable illustrations (Algy with red hair and a handlebar mustache?!?), I quite liked it.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 17 Feb 2014, 17:58

kylie_koyote wrote:I read the Red Fox comic first. Apart from some questionable illustrations (Algy with red hair and a handlebar mustache?!?), I quite liked it.

I've only ever seen bits of the comic and I can't get past a Ginger Algy.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2014, 17:59

I also have the comic version of "Sgt. Bigglesworth, CID". I have to say, the illustrator draws Ginger in his boxer shorts once in each comic, which is rather distracting and odd.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tracer » 17 Feb 2014, 18:00

problem now solved - thank you. You lot rock :D
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Feb 2014, 18:09

kylie_koyote wrote:I read the Red Fox comic first. Apart from some questionable illustrations (Algy with red hair and a handlebar mustache?!?), I quite liked it.

Red Fox comic KK? It was the Dutch who produced a picturebook of Spitfire Parade with the unmentionable old man with red hair and handlebar moustache.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Feb 2014, 18:21

Fairblue wrote:I had read Spitfire Parade' first, and there was a gap in between of a good few years before I read the WW1 stories. When my brain finally caught up I thought "that seems familiar." The penny still didn't drop until I joined the forum.

One has to view Spitfire Parade as an oddity. WEJ was trying to meet all the demands on him to produce books to encourage recruitment into the services. The others around that time - Baltic, Swastika, Sees it Through, Sweeps the Desert, are all excellent. By comparison, Spitfire Parade is rather curate's egg. If you read the WW1 originals, however, they leap off the page at you.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2014, 18:27

Spitfire666 wrote:

Red Fox comic KK? It was the Dutch who produced a picturebook of Spitfire Parade with the unmentionable old man with red hair and handlebar moustache.

This is what I have.209
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Feb 2014, 18:35

kylie_koyote wrote:This is what I have.209

Goodness, is there no end to the different versions? I have one published by the Dutch in English with a different cover, but it is by Francis Bergese so I think must be the same one. Nothing about Red Fox on my copy though.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 17 Feb 2014, 21:52

The cover of the Red Fox version that I have looks like this - presumably the same as KK's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biggles-Spitf ... 4860c16ddd
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby SaintedAunt » 17 Feb 2014, 22:15

I read Spitfire Parade quite early on, and I was a young teenager knowing nothing about aircraft or flying, and never having read any of the WWI books. I enjoyed it very much at the time - don't be put off :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 18 Feb 2014, 07:02

Spitfire666 wrote:

I am not an expert on the comics [I have only 2 by Red Fox]: my copy of Spitfire Parade says "A Red Fox Book", published by Random House Children's Books. First published by Claude Le Francq Editeur 1992. Red Fox Edition 1993 [translated by Adam Robson].

My memory tells me this is a translation from the Belgian or French? Did the Dutch also produce graphic novels in their language? The other one I have is the 'Battle Of Britain' graphic novel.
The most amusing pics I find, apart from the red hair & enormous mustache for Algy [at least in the early part of Spitfire Parade], is Bertie's tendency to walk around at all times with a black riding/hunting helmet on, quite eccentric. :monocle:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Feb 2014, 07:12

OzBiggles1963 wrote:The most amusing pics I find, apart from the red hair & enormous mustache for Algy [at least in the early part of Spitfire Parade], is Bertie's tendency to walk around at all times with a black riding/hunting helmet on, quite eccentric. :monocle:

As in the picture from it published in another thread on here a few days ago: Bertie is sitting on a bed wearing it!

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 18 Feb 2014, 07:41

Spitfire666 wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:The most amusing pics I find, apart from the red hair & enormous mustache for Algy [at least in the early part of Spitfire Parade], is Bertie's tendency to walk around at all times with a black riding/hunting helmet on, quite eccentric. :monocle:
As in the picture from it published in another thread on here a few days ago: Bertie is sitting on a bed wearing it!

Haha, I almost expected to see the illustrator draw him with monocle, helmet, hunting horn AND riding crop insitu [even in the plane when diving on a hun....charge!!] :mrgreen:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Feb 2014, 11:52

I think there is an image like that. I'll try to find it.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Feb 2014, 14:01

Here are some of the more ridiculous images of Bertie, all monocled up, even when flying. The illustrator had a silly season here, methinks.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 149 » 18 Feb 2014, 14:04

Spitfire Parade is a very mixed book. There are one or two excellent chapters in it and some are just very bad updates of WWI stories. I resisted buying it for ages when I started reading the books again a couple of years ago but I enjoy Bertie's stories and one or two of the others so I am glad I bought it now.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Feb 2014, 22:31

The one part I find difficult to believe about Spitfire Parade is the whole story of Ginger showing off to Wilks' squadron, getting caught by Bitmore, etc.

My biggest problems here are that:
A) Biggles would not know about Ginger being under open arrest for several days - we know Ginger goes to report to Toddy - but then Biggles seems surprised to hear about it all from Algy when they confess everything.
B) Algy would pull the "impersonating a senior officer" stunt at this stage in his life/career. He's old enough to know better by now!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 18 Feb 2014, 22:56

kylie_koyote wrote:The one part I find difficult to believe about Spitfire Parade is the whole story of Ginger showing off to Wilks' squadron, getting caught by Bitmore, etc.

My biggest problems here are that:
A) Biggles would not know about Ginger being under open arrest for several days - we know Ginger goes to report to Toddy - but then Biggles seems surprised to hear about it all from Algy when they confess everything.
B) Algy would pull the "impersonating a senior officer" stunt at this stage in his life/career. He's old enough to know better by now!

Yes KK, but set it in the original WWI setting with the original characters, and it becomes more credible. It just didn't translate as a story to WWII, because of the way WEJ did it, with the characters WEJ chose. So just enjoy the other stories :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 19 Feb 2014, 06:41

kylie_koyote wrote:213210 Here are some of the more ridiculous images of Bertie, all monocled up, even when flying. The illustrator had a silly season here, methinks.

True! Well, at least the illustrator didn't keep his riding helmet on in the plane, lol. :?
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 19 Feb 2014, 07:15

kylie_koyote wrote:The one part I find difficult to believe about Spitfire Parade is the whole story of Ginger showing off to Wilks' squadron, getting caught by Bitmore, etc. !

You are right, KK, it is very hard to take. When you read the WW1 story it works. Young Algy in the original; you can easily imagine him enjoying himself over Wilks' aerodrome; in those days it could happen. In WW2, I doubt if any pilots did it. The original stories are so fresh and original one is completely blown away by them, which is why they were so successful in the 1930s.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Feb 2014, 17:23

Spitfire666 wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:The one part I find difficult to believe about Spitfire Parade is the whole story of Ginger showing off to Wilks' squadron, getting caught by Bitmore, etc. !

You are right, KK, it is very hard to take. When you read the WW1 story it works. Young Algy in the original; you can easily imagine him enjoying himself over Wilks' aerodrome; in those days it could happen. In WW2, I doubt if any pilots did it. The original stories are so fresh and original one is completely blown away by them, which is why they were so successful in the 1930s.

Many of them translate quite well, and I love, love Annie the Pig and think she's a much better substitute than a gold fish. It's just that one with Bitmore that bugs me. But if that's the price, I'll gladly pay it. Any Biggles story is better than none!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 19 Feb 2014, 17:48

kylie_koyote wrote:Many of them translate quite well, and I love, love Annie the Pig and think she's a much better substitute than a gold fish.!

WEJ's description of her looking scared and glad to be home is just adorable! Did she ever end up as bacon? I refuse to ever think of that!

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Feb 2014, 17:52

I like to hope not. I, for one, would be hard pressed to eat an animal that had come to be regarded as more of a pet than livestock. If it meant the difference between life and death, I could do it, but they weren't THAT hard up for food.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2014, 18:34

kylie_koyote wrote:I like to hope not. I, for one, would be hard pressed to eat an animal that had come to be regarded as more of a pet than livestock. If it meant the difference between life and death, I could do it, but they weren't THAT hard up for food.

Well, no, but there wouldn't have been a huge variety, as there was rationing. On certain stations you were only allowed bacon and eggs if you were flying that night, otherwise you got bread and jam. It was normal in Britain at the time to eat the main meal of the day at midday or slightly later, but that was rather flexible. It is quite on the cards that bacon was a once a week treat, if that.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Next

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books