Biggles and the Blue Moon

Discuss a Biggles book!

Biggles and the Blue Moon

Postby Fairblue » 27 Jan 2014, 17:04

This book was only the second Biggles book I ever read, after Black Peril. Then I hadn't a clue who Bertie was or why Algy should have been browned off being left at home. I now appreciate it as a Biggles and Algy adventure, with Algy being left to get on with things while Biggles has to run the gauntlet of a crook-infested jungle forest. It seemed a bit improbable, the British Government going to the trouble of helping someone get their private collection out of their country, but really it's no more improbable than a lot of Biggles books. Not a great deal of dashing about but nice to have just the two of them. :D
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles and the Blue Moon

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 27 Jan 2014, 18:59

Fairblue wrote:This book was only the second Biggles book I ever read, after Black Peril. Then I hadn't a clue who Bertie was or why Algy should have been browned off being left at home. I now appreciate it as a Biggles and Algy adventure, with Algy being left to get on with things while Biggles has to run the gauntlet of a crook-infested jungle forest. It seemed a bit improbable, the British Government going to the trouble of helping someone get their private collection out of their country, but really it's no more improbable than a lot of Biggles books. Not a great deal of dashing about but nice to have just the two of them. :D

You old romantic :D
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 27 Jan 2014, 19:02

This was one of the first ones I ever read also. It's not my favorite, but I think I need to go back and give it another go.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Kismet » 27 Jan 2014, 19:08

One of my first ones too - they were publishing a number of the later ones in paperback and I spend my pocket money on them. I liked the tension under siege and didn't understand why any of them found the pearls beautiful. Now I like it for the Algy / Biggles moments.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 27 Jan 2014, 19:17

Kismet wrote: I liked the tension under siege ......

With Algy getting the sticky end of it, not to mention the worry of whether Biggles would return or if he'd been shot.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Fairblue » 27 Jan 2014, 19:19

Crazy Man Michael wrote:
Fairblue wrote:This book was only the second Biggles book I ever read, after Black Peril. Then I hadn't a clue who Bertie was or why Algy should have been browned off being left at home. I now appreciate it as a Biggles and Algy adventure, with Algy being left to get on with things while Biggles has to run the gauntlet of a crook-infested jungle forest. It seemed a bit improbable, the British Government going to the trouble of helping someone get their private collection out of their country, but really it's no more improbable than a lot of Biggles books. Not a great deal of dashing about but nice to have just the two of them. :D

You old romantic :D

:yay:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Oct 2017, 06:19

Biggles' hunting in PS Books, Maleny, this morning and wound up purchasing a "First" of Blue Moon. Since I only had a 1968 Knight paperback edition, I was rather pleased to find this (well...actually...the bookseller brought it to my attention :D ). My query is - it's supposedly a first edition, but I've not seen one before that has a school's name embossed on the front cover. It has black boards, gold lettering. I'd be interested to hear if anyone (perhaps Dr B or AntiClockwise Prop?) can offer further enlightenment.
Blue Moon 1. Spine.JPG

Blue Moon 2. Cover.JPG
This is the cover
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Oct 2017, 06:22

And here are the inside "bits"

Blue Moon 4. Award Certificate.JPG
School Award Certificate

Blue Moon 3. Publication page.JPG
Publication details
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Oct 2017, 06:23

And, I apologise for the photos all being sideways. They were the right way up when I selected them!! :oops: :roll:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 14 Oct 2017, 09:22

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:And, I apologise for the photos all being sideways. They were the right way up when I selected them!! :oops: :roll:

They're the right way up for me, RSG. 8-)

But what a find. If would be interesting to find out about it. Does the school still exist?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 14 Oct 2017, 09:27

Not for me - my neck hurts! :lol:

I thought before I got to the end that it must have been a school prize. My school prize books had the school badge and name on them as well. They may still be out there somewhere, but not the sort to appeal to collectors. I still have the one I was allowed to choose for myself.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Fairblue » 14 Oct 2017, 09:56

James' site, Biggles Online ( http://www.biggles-online.com/book/bigg ... ton-press/) describes the first edition as Black boards with gold titles on the spine. Horse logo on spine. I noticed it was printed in Great Britain, so highly unlikely to be a special school edition. Could it simply be that the school had their badge embossed on the front cover of their books? If not all of them, then perhaps the ones just for Prize giving?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Anticlockwise Prop » 14 Oct 2017, 09:58

Sorry I cannot help much on this specific example.

I have seen other items with words and illustrations embossed onto them in a similar style but cannot think of any specific examples. I did a little bit of “Googling” and found that embossing/debossing onto hardcover books is fairly common, even in the 1960’s. (Embossing involves raising parts of a sheet of paper to emphasize certain parts. Debossing means instead of raising the embossed area they actually deboss the entire cover except for the area you want embossed.)

Just a general comment - when looking at your photo of the books spine on my computer the cloth looks a very dark blue and the lettering looks silver, thanks for commenting that its actually Black boards with Gold lettering. The front cover appears quite Black with Gold embossing. These effects may be the various lighting on the book when taking the photos but various computer screens can also make a difference when viewing the images, not to mention my deteriorating eyesight. :shock:

PS: The Church of England Boys School (Toowoomba) is now known as Toowoomba Anglican College and Preparatory School. The head of School 1959-73 was Mr Edgar "Blue" White (my betting is that he was a Red head) (PSS back in the day when I had hair I was a Blood nut)
Last edited by Anticlockwise Prop on 17 Oct 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Anticlockwise Prop
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Oct 2017, 11:12

How fascinating! I am intrigued. Thank you for sharing your find, RSG. I, also, have the Knights paperback.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Tracer » 14 Oct 2017, 13:48

Fairblue wrote:James' site, Biggles Online ( http://www.biggles-online.com/book/bigg ... ton-press/) describes the first edition as Black boards with gold titles on the spine. Horse logo on spine. I noticed it was printed in Great Britain, so highly unlikely to be a special school edition. Could it simply be that the school had their badge embossed on the front cover of their books? If not all of them, then perhaps the ones just for Prize giving?

Sorry for not explaining better - yes the school bought the books for prizegiving and then added the shield/school name/embossing/whatever. sadly in my case, the schools concerned did not give Biggles books! This was in the 1960s.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 14 Oct 2017, 14:52

Tracer wrote:
Fairblue wrote:James' site, Biggles Online ( http://www.biggles-online.com/book/bigg ... ton-press/) describes the first edition as Black boards with gold titles on the spine. Horse logo on spine. I noticed it was printed in Great Britain, so highly unlikely to be a special school edition. Could it simply be that the school had their badge embossed on the front cover of their books? If not all of them, then perhaps the ones just for Prize giving?

Sorry for not explaining better - yes the school bought the books for prizegiving and then added the shield/school name/embossing/whatever. sadly in my case, the schools concerned did not give Biggles books! This was in the 1960s.

I'd have like an embossed book as a school prize: I only had a very plain label stuck into mine. We had to pick the books from a particular bookshop. Officially we could choose anything, but there was an understanding that we would choose 'proper' books. I remember looking at all the books I wanted, whilst I chose the suitable ones that Colonel King-Wilkinson would hand over on Speech Day. Three Jane Austens, and the Collected Works of Wilfred Owen and W H Auden, if I remember rightly.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Oct 2017, 22:22

Anticlockwise Prop wrote:Just a general comment - when looking at your photo of the books spine on my computer the cloth looks a very dark blue and the lettering looks silver, thanks for commenting that its actually Black boards with Gold lettering. The front cover appears quite Black with Gold embossing. These effects may be the various lighting on the book when taking the photos but various computer screens can also make a difference when viewing the images, not to mention my deteriorating eyesight. :shock:

Yes, when I saw the silver lettering show up on screen, I actually double checked the book to make sure I hadn't made an error. But the lettering is definitely gold and the boards are black. So, must have been the lighting/camera (taken with my iPhone over lunch in a country town in pouring rain :D ) that played up.

Anticlockwise Prop wrote:PS: The Church of England Boys School (Toowoomba) is now known as Toowoomba Anglican College and Preparatory School. The head of School 1959-73 was Mr Edgar "Blue" White (my betting is that he was a Red head) (PSS back in the day when I had hair I was a Blood nut)

Yep, any Aussie with red hair is "Blue." My uncle employed a boy with red hair and he was always called "Bluey." I was about 12 or so before I realised that wasn't his real name... :roll:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Wanderer » 15 Oct 2017, 00:51

From my perspective the embossing and bookplate actually add to rather than detract from the book's value as a collectable. As I understand it in the 1950s-60s at least schools and Sunday schools were big customers of hard cover children's fiction prior to issuing cheaper soft-cover editions and were as a result known in the book trade as "Prizes". All you need to do now is find a dustwrapper :-) I've always had a soft-spot for Blue Moon as it was one of the first Biggles books I read, back in the day when it was recently published and, I would think, in my primary school library.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby DrBiggles » 15 Oct 2017, 17:03

Schools embossing their own badges on books was a fairly common practice, I believe.
I attach a photo of "The Camels are Coming" (a fourth edition from my collection) where this was done.
Whether this was done in the 1930s or later, I don't know.
This book was from John Cleese's school, would you believe! If only his name was in it!

Camels with School Badge_small.jpg
Last edited by DrBiggles on 15 Oct 2017, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
DrBiggles
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Spitfire666 » 15 Oct 2017, 21:25

DrBiggles wrote:Schools embossing their own badges on books was a fairly common practice, I believe.
I attach a photo of "The Camels are Coming" (a fourth edition from my collection) where this was done.
Whether this was done in the 1930s or later, I don't know.
This book was from John Cleese's school, would you believe! If only his name was in it! Roger.

Ooh, lovely :!: Now I am jealous :claphappy:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Oct 2017, 22:41

I wish my school had indulged in this practice!! Any prize books I received simply have the award certificate inside.

I am now wondering about my book's journey from being a school prize in Toowoomba to my purchasing it a few kms up the road in a Maleny bookshop - 51 years later.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books