Charter Pilot

Discuss a Biggles book!

Charter Pilot

Postby Inactive User 149 » 21 Jan 2014, 11:32

This is not one of my favourite books but I love the start of each story where it gives a snapshot of Squadron life. Ginger comes across as quite popular with the other pilots. He is called kid and young feller a couple of times which makes it seem as though he is younger than some of the others. Ginger never seems to take advantage of the fact that he knows Biggles well in the ordinary life of the Squadron. It is obvious in Delivers the Goods and Borneo that Biggles still considers Ginger as one of his two best friends even though he is a junior oficer and twenty years younger but I do not think he gives Ginger any special consideration during normal routine operations.
Inactive User 149
-

Re: Charter Pilot

Postby Kismet » 21 Jan 2014, 12:46

This is one of my favourites: I like the contrast between squadron parts and the outrageous tales. I like Biggles applying his logical mind in ridiculous situations. And I particularly like the mammoth and the dodos.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 15:35

This is one of my favorites too. Ginger shows that he's quite a good storyteller. In fact, Biggles says something like "Get Ginger to tell you, he's better at that sort of thing than I am."

Like a lot of folks, I've wondered how "real" these tales are. (In so much as it is a fictional story about a guy telling a story...)

I love the little glimpses into their off hours. The scar on Ginger's leg from the mammoth is priceless.

Also, I love the little gem where Ginger says he's bought a harmonica at an Arab marketplace. This leads me to wonder all sorts of things about what other fun little souvenirs their flat must be full of. (Poor Mrs. Symes, having to dust them all!)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 21 Jan 2014, 15:49

kylie_koyote wrote:
Also, I love the little gem where Ginger says he's bought a harmonica at an Arab marketplace. This leads me to wonder all sorts of things about what other fun little souvenirs their flat must be full of. (Poor Mrs. Symes, having to dust them all!)

Off the top of my head, I can remember a poncho fron Flies Again and a little badge shaped like an oriental torch from Foreign Legionnaire
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 15:51

Kismet wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can remember a poncho fron Flies Again and a little badge shaped like an oriental torch from Foreign Legionnaire

Didn't they have a glass sample that was mailed to them following their adventures in "Looks Back" that they put on the mantle? (Maybe I dreamed that... I do that a lot.)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 21 Jan 2014, 16:04

Yes. I don't know what they did with the other samples: presumably Biggles sold them - no doubt at a profit.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 16:17

There's the story of the Crooning Crocodile, where the lads are sunning themselves on a riverside somewhere at the beginning of the story. I've always wondered what they got up to in between their wild adventures in far away places. That's a nice little peek.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby von Zoyton » 22 Jan 2014, 01:07

was one of my first and i just loved the attomosphre wej created, when doing fan fics i always write in the charter pilot style, give one such a free 'fantasy' hand
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby Fairblue » 22 Jan 2014, 10:49

This, like Hits the Trail is not one of my favourites but I quite like the narrative style. The idea of a cosy evening round the fire in the Mess appeals and as KK says, Ginger has a way with words.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Jan 2014, 11:38

Fairblue wrote:This, like Hits the Trail is not one of my favourites but I quite like the narrative style. The idea of a cosy evening round the fire in the Mess appeals and as KK says, Ginger has a way with words.

Except that in Spitfire Parade, WEJ modelled his 'cosy evenings round the mess fire' on his WWI experiences in France! In WWII they were in their home country and pilots mostly went out in the evenings - drinking in the local pub or the dance hall - and LOTS of girls :lol: They lived hard and played hard - to keep themselves something like sane.

But as you say, makes for good tales :D
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Jan 2014, 17:13

I've lost our previous conversation about swimwear, but in Charter Pilot, Ginger is definitely wearing a pair of swim trunks and no shirt when they're sunbathing on the river bank as he tells his story about the crocodile.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 22 Jan 2014, 19:58

kylie_koyote wrote:I've lost our previous conversation about swimwear, but in Charter Pilot, Ginger is definitely wearing a pair of swim trunks and no shirt when they're sunbathing on the river bank as he tells his story about the crocodile.

The same ones as he wears in Flies West or a new pair do you think?

This part worries me: a freckly redhead lying in the sun is just asking to burn.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Jan 2014, 20:09

Kismet wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:I've lost our previous conversation about swimwear, but in Charter Pilot, Ginger is definitely wearing a pair of swim trunks and no shirt when they're sunbathing on the river bank as he tells his story about the crocodile.

The same ones as he wears in Flies West or a new pair do you think?

This part worries me: a freckly redhead lying in the sun is just asking to burn.

I hope a new pair, it was several years later, and he'd probably grown a bit. Surely they could've afforded to buy the poor kid a new pair of swim trunks with the results of the treasure hunt. :D

I thought about the sunburn too! Do they ever wear sunscreen? What with all the tobacco and sun exposure they had, it's a wonder they didn't all die of cancer before the 1950s.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 22 Jan 2014, 20:11

Ah, well that was because of all the weird Chung glowing mountain radiation, also the reason they never aged :D They were so full of it it even rubbed off on Bertie....
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Jan 2014, 20:14

Tommy Smith wrote:Ah, well that was because of all the weird Chung glowing mountain radiation, also the reason they never aged :D They were so full of it it even rubbed off on Bertie....

Oh excellent! Of course! Just like Indiana Jones drinking from the Holy Grail...
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 22 Jan 2014, 20:22

Tommy Smith wrote:Ah, well that was because of all the weird Chung glowing mountain radiation, also the reason they never aged :D They were so full of it it even rubbed off on Bertie....
:cheers:
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Kismet » 22 Jan 2014, 20:28

kylie_koyote wrote:I hope a new pair, it was several years later, and he'd probably grown a bit. Surely they could've afforded to buy the poor kid a new pair of swim trunks with the results of the treasure hunt. :D

I thought about the sunburn too! Do they ever wear sunscreen? What with all the tobacco and sun exposure they had, it's a wonder they didn't all die of cancer before the 1950s.

Who'd knit them for him? Mrs Symes?

http://www.fab40s.co.uk/Mensswimwear.html
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 22 Jan 2014, 20:48

Kismet wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:I hope a new pair, it was several years later, and he'd probably grown a bit. Surely they could've afforded to buy the poor kid a new pair of swim trunks with the results of the treasure hunt. :D

Who'd knit them for him? Mrs Symes?

http://www.fab40s.co.uk/Mensswimwear.html

Knitted swimwear? We all know what happens when that gets wet. :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 22 Jan 2014, 20:55

How to avoid that is included in the knitting instructions fairblue.

Can anyone knit? I must say I'd be fascinated to find out how well knitted swimwear stands up to getting wet.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Jan 2014, 23:29

Kismet wrote:
:cheers:

:claphappy:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Fairblue » 22 Jan 2014, 23:46

Ditto to the above. I got fed up of getting the message "only 2 quotes may be embedded with each other" (or similar) :D
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 23 Jan 2014, 00:36

What we need is a' like' button that automatically comes up on each post, that can be clicked to indicate agreement with the post's contents.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby von Zoyton » 23 Jan 2014, 01:04

i wonder what the thinking was behind charter pilot? There are very few ww2 biggles books and most are flag wavers, why was this a good idea? Escapism from the dreary days of war?
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby kylie_koyote » 23 Jan 2014, 02:12

von Zoyton wrote:i wonder what the thinking was behind charter pilot? There are very few ww2 biggles books and most are flag wavers, why was this a good idea? Escapism from the dreary days of war?

Maybe WEJ got bored and it was a fun kind of interlude to his regular more serious fare.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 23 Jan 2014, 06:58

Kismet wrote:What we need is a' like' button that automatically comes up on each post, that can be clicked to indicate agreement with the post's contents.

We have discussed this before, but decided it was not a good thing. We have lots of great smilies to choose from, more interesting than a 'like' button, I think. I have used them myself more recently, when we have conversations that we have already had and I don't want to say the same thing I did before. :)
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 23 Jan 2014, 07:01

von Zoyton wrote:i wonder what the thinking was behind charter pilot? There are very few ww2 biggles books and most are flag wavers, why was this a good idea? Escapism from the dreary days of war?

I wonder if the stories were originally written before the War, and the squadron scenes written around them? No way of knowing.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 23 Jan 2014, 07:26

By Jove says, 'Biggles Charter Pilot, a series of pre-war adventures told in a wartime RAF mess by Ginger, was a collection of near science fiction short stories, which had started serialisation in The Boys' Own Paper in October 1941'.
That doesn't really make it clear whether they were written pre-war, or just noting that they're set pre-war.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby Spitfire666 » 23 Jan 2014, 07:59

Sizzling Sausages wrote:By Jove says, 'Biggles Charter Pilot, a series of pre-war adventures told in a wartime RAF mess by Ginger, was a collection of near science fiction short stories, which had started serialisation in The Boys' Own Paper in October 1941'.
That doesn't really make it clear whether they were written pre-war, or just noting that they're set pre-war.

Yes, I know: it is just a theory of mine that Johns wrote them earlier and added the 666 setting when they were published.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 23 Jan 2014, 08:23

It makes sense to me.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Alistair MacLean - Circus

Postby Purple Pigeon » 23 Jan 2014, 09:20

I'm not so sure. It's not just a matter of using the squadron scenes to frame the story. They would have had to have been completely changed from third person narrative to first person narrative. Plus there are references to the War(or at least the build up to it) in the stories themselves - the Counterfeit Crusaders springs to mind.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Next

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books