Defies the Swastika - comment/question

Discuss a Biggles book!

Re: Defies the Swastika - comment/question

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 15:14

I have not read anything else about this. Did he go to America in Flies Again? I have not read that book. He has definitely been to South America a few times. In Jungle he says he knows the officer there and had done him a good turn in the past - the way he said it did not sound as though Algy had been with him at the time. There is always the gap between WWI and Black Peril with only two books in between so it may have been during that period that WEJ meant he had been in America.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 15:17

Jenny Rob wrote:I have not read anything else about this. Did he go to America in Flies Again? I have not read that book. He has definitely been to South America a few times. In Jungle he says he knows the officer there and had done him a good turn in the past - the way he said it did not sound as though Algy had been with him at the time. There is always the gap between WWI and Black Peril with only two books in between so it may have been during that period that WEJ meant he had been in America.

I haven't read "Condor" in some years, but I believe they sailed into New York and then flew down to South America in stages. I think in "Jungle" they also come via the US, but never in any of the books do they have adventures in the States. I was always disappointed about that.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 15:22

Yes it is a shame they did not go to America more often. I do not think the books were ever popular in the USA.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 15:45

Jenny Rob wrote:Yes it is a shame they did not go to America more often. I do not think the books were ever popular in the USA.

To the best of my knowledge they were never published here. I have never seen one in a library and only exceptionally rarely found one in a secondhand shop.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Lycaea » 18 Jan 2014, 13:39

In ”The Maniacs guide to the Biggles Books” the US is not on the list of countries where Biggles has been published. Only Canada.
Lycaea
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 18 Jan 2014, 14:08

According to By Jove, they were thought to be too British! But you do see them advertised on ebay from the US quite often.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 19 Jan 2014, 19:00

kylie_koyote wrote:
Jenny Rob wrote:Yes it is a shame they did not go to America more often. I do not think the books were ever popular in the USA.

To the best of my knowledge they were never published here. I have never seen one in a library and only exceptionally rarely found one in a secondhand shop.

In the National Aerospace and Aviation Museum in Washington there is (or was in 2000) a display recreating an aviation enthusiast's bedroom from the 1930s. On the bedside table is a copy of 'Biggles Of The Camel Squadron' - although it's actually a 1960s Dean and Son reprint :roll: :D
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Tracer » 19 Jan 2014, 19:37

Didn't Snoopy fly a Sopwith Camel?
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Previous