Sgt. Bigglesworth CID v Sees too much

Discuss a Biggles book!

Sgt. Bigglesworth CID v Sees too much

Postby Jennifer » 01 Oct 2013, 10:17

I have just read the first and last complete Air Police Books and I wonder how many prefer the early one and how many like the last one best - should be in a Poll really but I do not know how to set that up.

I much prefer Sgt. Bigglesworth. I love the beginning of the book and the story is very tense and full of action and excitement. They all have a turn and the baddies are really evil. Their ages do not matter as much in the earlier books and it is lovely to have Wilks in the book and Von Zoyton.

Sees Too Much on the other hand meanders round Cornwall and the Channel Islands to very little purpose with a lot of sitting about, eating two lunches as mentioned before and a couple chapterst devoted to Bertie going to fetch Biggles' pyjamas. Could he not sleep in his underwear just for once. It always amuses me when they are abroad living in mud huts and tents and they have to change into their pyjamas every night.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Re: Sgt. Bigglesworth CID v Sees too much

Postby Fairblue » 01 Oct 2013, 10:24

Jennifer wrote:I have just read the first and last complete Air Police Books and I wonder how many prefer the early one and how many like the last one best - should be in a Poll really but I do not know how to set that up.

I much prefer Sgt. Bigglesworth. I love the beginning of the book and the story is very tense and full of action and excitement. They all have a turn and the baddies are really evil. Their ages do not matter as much in the earlier books and it is lovely to have Wilks in the book and Von Zoyton.

Sees Too Much on the other hand meanders round Cornwall and the Channel Islands to very little purpose with a lot of sitting about, eating two lunches as mentioned before and a couple chapterst devoted to Bertie going to fetch Biggles' pyjamas. Could he not sleep in his underwear just for once. It always amuses me when they are abroad living in mud huts and tents and they have to change into their pyjamas every night.
I much prefer the earlier Air Police books as well, Jennifer. Much more action. As for pyjamas, well, it wasn't the done thing in those days to sleep in anything but nightwear. I remember reading about a voluntary group of upper and middle-class women in the first world war who tried to provide the common soldier with home comforts when they were wounded and were returned to Blighty. One of them professed surprise that no-one thought to pack the poor man's pyjamas when he was returned. She had absolutely no idea of what life was like in the trenches and assumed the men went to bed every night in a proper bed in PJ's insteads of sleeping in mud an filth in their uniforms. Fortunately today we are much more enlightened.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 01 Oct 2013, 21:17

I have a big soft spot for many of the later Air Police stories, perhaps because they were the easiest to get hold of when I was growing up and so the ones I read the most. Having said that, Sees too Much is, in my opinion, one of the least interesting stories but Little Green Godwhich is only a couple earlier is a favourite. Which underwear do you suggest he sleeps in? Deep Blue Sea refers to his short underpants which surely suggests he also has long ones, but the only description of their small kit that I can recall just mentions clean socks and shirts.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Jennifer » 03 Oct 2013, 09:35

How right you are! WEJ hardly ever mentioned vests and underpants. I cannot ever recall them going to the toilet either.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby CaptWilks » 03 Oct 2013, 09:48

Of course WEJ didn't mention "unmentionables". He didn't want us to see too much! ;-)
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Jennifer » 03 Oct 2013, 09:53

It would be very different nowadays :lol:
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Tommy Smith » 03 Oct 2013, 13:20

Well, what about the first couple of pages, chapter VIII, 'Shadows on the Shore' in Biggles Air Commadore, then. Notice anything?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 04 Oct 2013, 12:12

Nothing at all...... Reminds me of Flies West chapters 7 - 10 'The Hurricane', 'Wrecked', 'What Happened to Dick' and 'What Happened to Biggles'.
Also, I have a vague memory that in one book Marcel strips down to his slip. Has anyone any idea what sort of garment WEJ meant by this? When I was young, my mother forced me to wear a slip under my skirt: it was a silky underskirt designed to prevent your skirt clinging to your legs. I really cannot / do not want to see Marcel in one of those.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 04 Oct 2013, 13:41

Kismet wrote:Nothing at all...... Reminds me of Flies West chapters 7 - 10 'The Hurricane', 'Wrecked', 'What Happened to Dick' and 'What Happened to Biggles'.
Also, I have a vague memory that in one book Marcel strips down to his slip. Has anyone any idea what sort of garment WEJ meant by this?
Men's pants (our present day y-fronts) called slip d'homme as opposed to boxer shorts (boxers d'homme). I see them regularly in my local supermarket in the men's clothing section. hope this gives you a better idea, Kismet. (Or maybe too much of an idea) :shock:

Kismet wrote:When I was young, my mother forced me to wear a slip under my skirt: it was a silky underskirt designed to prevent your skirt clinging to your legs. I really cannot / do not want to see Marcel in one of those.

I remember these. Mine were nylon and were dreadful. I always tried to leave mine off. And I'd hate to see Marcel in one of those too.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby CaptWilks » 04 Oct 2013, 23:13

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:When I was young, my mother forced me to wear a slip under my skirt: it was a silky underskirt designed to prevent your skirt clinging to your legs. I really cannot / do not want to see Marcel in one of those.

I remember these. Mine were nylon and were dreadful. I always tried to leave mine off. And I'd hate to see Marcel in one of those too.

Dear Biggles fans! The forum is rated "G"! :shock: I don't know where to look! :o
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Kismet » 05 Oct 2013, 12:12

Thank you Fairblue. Knowing is always better than wondering.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 05 Oct 2013, 16:43

Kismet wrote:Thank you Fairblue. Knowing is always better than wondering.

But sometimes, that takes all the fun out of it :D
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby The Professor » 06 Oct 2013, 22:37

'Marcel!' gasped Biggles, 'I'm seeing a whole new side of you!' :mrgreen:
You poor prune!