Biggles Flies East - the H&S version

Discuss a Biggles book!

Biggles Flies East - the H&S version

Postby DrBiggles » 31 Jul 2016, 13:35

Does anybody have any idea of how Hodder & Stoughton came to publish "Biggles Flies East" in May 1942?

This was, of course, an "Oxford University Press" Biggles book - the printing rights owned by them ...........

Hodder & Stoughton's first original Biggles book wasn't until "Biggles Sweeps the Desert" some months later in 1942.

How come they got to publish "Biggles Flies East"? And why just that one? Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a clue.

Roger
DrBiggles
Flying officer
Flying officer

Re: Biggles Flies East - the H&S version

Postby Fairblue » 31 Jul 2016, 13:45

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is that H&S sought permission from the OAU to print that one BOOK, subject to suitable remuneration being agreed upon. As to why, I don't have a clue either.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles Flies East - the H&S version

Postby Wanderer » 31 Jul 2016, 15:47

Could really only speculate without the documentary evidence, but FB is right with respect of copyright law for an in-print book. H&S may have initially intended to take over copyright of all existing Oxford titles but then changed their minds, or negotiations with OUP broke down, after a trial with Flies East . It may have just gone out of print and thus be ripe for reprinting: OUP had reprinted it with card covers in 1941, and continued with further printings/editions up to at least 7th in 1952.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books