Gun Runners

Discuss a Biggles book!

Re: Gun Runners

Postby Kismet » 04 Aug 2014, 11:59

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:And here's another one wildly off topic :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually wants to talk about the books - off topic chat is so much more appealing ;)

It's the sign of an active & enquiring mind...that's my story & I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:

The avenues of exploration inspired by the books are just so fascinating....... I agree with OzB, it's the sign of an active and enquiring mind. Sometimes it is easier to chat than to spend the time looking up references.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Frecks » 04 Aug 2014, 12:02

I really love chatting on the Forum to people with the same interests. It is endlessly fascinating to hear other people's opinions on the books I have read for so long and I am always finding out more details about books which I have not read.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 04 Aug 2014, 17:09

Kismet wrote:It is, somewhere, I think. Just a passing reference not a full story. Something like 'I'll have to enquire about salvage rights when I get home.' Can't think in what book.

I've had to skim through a good few Air Police stories set in Africa but I've found the reference. As usual it isn't quite what I remembered. It's the Case of the Mysterious Gunshots in Takes the Case. An airliner had to make a forced landing in the Sudd and became stuck in the mud. The local Wing Commander tells Biggles that the wreck has become a landmark, that his pilots are reporting it looks as if someone has been landing alongside it, and that the land dries out at the height of the dry season to become fairly firm so landing is possible for a light plane.

There we go. All the elements: the Sudd, stuck in the mud, dry enough to land on at some times of the year, except Biggles doesn't actually try and salvage the plane!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Aug 2014, 17:13

Well done Kismet - it is much harder to find a snippet in one of the many short Air Police stories. You weren't far off though :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby SopwithCamel » 04 Aug 2014, 17:25

Kismet wrote:
Kismet wrote:It is, somewhere, I think. Just a passing reference not a full story. Something like 'I'll have to enquire about salvage rights when I get home.' Can't think in what book.

I've had to skim through a good few Air Police stories set in Africa but I've found the reference. As usual it isn't quite what I remembered. It's the Case of the Mysterious Gunshots in Takes the Case. An airliner had to make a forced landing in the Sudd and became stuck in the mud. The local Wing Commander tells Biggles that the wreck has become a landmark, that his pilots are reporting it looks as if someone has been landing alongside it, and that the land dries out at the height of the dry season to become fairly firm so landing is possible for a light plane.

There we go. All the elements: the Sudd, stuck in the mud, dry enough to land on at some times of the year, except Biggles doesn't actually try and salvage the plane!

Uh-oh. :shock: :o

What do I do now?? :cryblue:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SopwithCamel » 04 Aug 2014, 17:25

I know. I'll shoot one of them. Works every time. :lol: :twisted:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 04 Aug 2014, 17:34

SopwithCamel wrote:I know. I'll shoot one of them. Works every time. :lol: :twisted:

Noooooooo! :kill: Finish the story. They didn't salvage a plane in the story I found. It's up to you to tell the story!
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Spitfire666 » 04 Aug 2014, 19:19

SopwithCamel wrote:Uh-oh. :shock: :o

What do I do now?? :cryblue:

Just because Bill Johns did not say Biggles salvaged the plane doesn't mean he didn't :!: He also does not say he didn't. :mrgreen:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 05 Aug 2014, 07:58

It might have been a completely different plane Biggles salvaged but I think this is probably the story WEJ was thinking about in Gun Runners.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 05 Aug 2014, 12:54

Kismet wrote:

Wow, I actually remember this small reference now...but I would never have looked in Takes The Case, lol. Well done you. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby tiffinata » 05 Aug 2014, 23:33

Well there's so much time between the end of WW1 and Condor that they could have done anything!
Perhaps it was an adventure never recorded in Flies Again.
The possiblilities are endless.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Fairblue » 06 Aug 2014, 08:23

Limited only by your imagination, Soppy.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Spitfire666 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:35

Fairblue wrote:Limited only by your imagination, Soppy.

So pretty much un-limited :lol:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 06 Aug 2014, 13:45

Spitfire666 wrote:
Fairblue wrote:Limited only by your imagination, Soppy.

So pretty much un-limited :lol:

Yep. 8-)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Previous

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books