Biggles in Mexico

Discuss a Biggles book!

Re: Biggles in Mexico

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Apr 2014, 19:49

266 wrote:A couple of things occur to me re B in Mexico...it was a good yarn if you can get past the geographical misplacement. I just think WEJ had a very small map and no idea of the sheer size of America. Second, I think he might have got San Francisco mixed up with San Diego - even then it was a fair hike from the border and I wouldn't think commuting in a Cub (about 90mph) would be very practical. Better off in one of those big American cars on the freeway...which reminds me that the spiel about buying a new car vs a second hand one always struck me as odd. For the time they were expecting to be there they could have rented one. But that would have spoiled the plot development! Better still, of course, for WEJ to have had a better map and pick places that made sense.

Biggles buys a used car in "at World's End" as well. Apparently it's easier than renting one if you need it for a month or so. (???)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Apr 2014, 08:17

Jenny wrote:Is that lower illustration supposed to be Biggles? It is very good.

Yes, I like it too. I found it by chance when I googled 'recruitment posters' for RAF WW2 etc, there are some very good & atmospheric ones here:

https://www.google.com.au/search?newwin ... _9LecV9aE0

:offtopichappy: :offtopicgreen:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Apr 2014, 08:20

Tracer wrote:*Tracer runs breathlessly into the Mess and stands OzB a drink* congratulations OzB. I'll pass on the Paris trip, but a Scotch is always welcome.

Scotch on the rocks it is old chap! We''ll be thinking of you in 'Gay Paris'... :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Apr 2014, 18:02

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Jenny wrote:Is that lower illustration supposed to be Biggles? It is very good.

Yes, I like it too. I found it by chance when I googled 'recruitment posters' for RAF WW2 etc, there are some very good & atmospheric ones here:

https://www.google.com.au/search?newwin ... _9LecV9aE0

:offtopichappy: :offtopicgreen:

Good selection of artwork there leading to a piece of a poem by a bomber pilot who crashed-
‘Let it Be Hushed’: “Till minutes changed to hours, and still no news. One went to bed; but roused by later crews, Asked 'were they back yet?' And being answered 'No', Went back to sleep One's waking eyes sought out the empty beds, And 'Damn', you said, 'another kit to pack"
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2014, 18:39

:offtopichappy: :offtopicgreen:[/quote]
Tommy Smith wrote:Good selection of artwork there leading to a piece of a poem by a bomber pilot who crashed-
‘Let it Be Hushed’: “Till minutes changed to hours, and still no news. One went to bed; but roused by later crews, Asked 'were they back yet?' And being answered 'No', Went back to sleep One's waking eyes sought out the empty beds, And 'Damn', you said, 'another kit to pack"

Very poignant, TS. A Goosebumps moment for me.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Apr 2014, 22:34

Fairblue wrote::offtopichappy: :offtopicgreen:

Tommy Smith wrote:Good selection of artwork there leading to a piece of a poem by a bomber pilot who crashed-

Very poignant, TS. A Goosebumps moment for me.[/quote]
And for me. We studied some WWII poetry for English and I remember how poignant they were. Especially as most of our teachers had seen active service during WWII.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 17 Apr 2014, 02:50

Fast forward to the late 70's & my English teacher [near retirement] told us he was an Aussie 'rear gunner' in an RAF Lancaster bomber squadron. He knew all about Biggles [lol] & showed me an anthology of poetry in our school library, in which his own poem was preserved for posterity. All I can remember is that it was called 'Brownout' & concerned with bad weather and/or WW2 power failures I think [brownout is not a word we use anymore].

Another rear gunner poem:

by Ted Russell

Tonight I go out, come back I may

For that is a problem, on which nobody can say,

If that is my fate, then that’s OKAY

Although I should like to live, yet another day.

Halfway to heaven, up in the sky

Or as near to the other, if I'm going to fry,

At least we have an original shroud

The dying sun whitens the lowering cloud.

The engines blend in constant sound

Far below, the darkening ground,

A yellow moon, no more daylight

A false sense of security to fright

I wonder what they are doing at home

Probably like me, she is alone.

This REAR TURRET, so remote and small

Contains a man, not so tall

Controlling four guns at his will

His deadly purpose is to kill

Approaching the target, a reddish glare

An aircraft in front, drops its flare

And now the flak comes up in streams

Surely a hideous fancy of my dreams

But No' No', I am awake

A difficult objective, no piece of cake

My nerves are tense, I strain my eyes

At any moment, Death may strike from these dark skies.

A shadowy blur, My word one of these huns

I give him a burst from all of my guns

He disappears' into the gloom,

Who knows! Perhaps to his doom.

Our bombs go down with adept skill,

A few holes in the morning Jerry can fill

Now, lets get out of this wilderness

To a glass of beer in the nice warm mess.

It seems I am going to keep our date

Find you rigid, for being late

Now let me see that’s my number five

I can shoot a few lines on being alive.

The light grey sky, the sleeping towns

The very English wavy downs

Shrouded in early morning mist our 'drome

Who care's, not I, we are at home.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 27 Jun 2014, 17:02

:backtotopic:

So, I noticed when Biggles is talking to the bad guy who recognizes the name "Bigglesworth" and he asks if the fellow at Scotland Yard is a relation, Biggles says "As far as I know, I haven't a relation in the world".

Now, I realize that he's talking to a bad guy, so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt, but Algy is a relation. (Of course, if he had said "no, but my cousin works at Scotland Yard", :lol: , then he and Ginger would both be dead.)

Also, I assume by this statement that Dickpa is no longer alive by the 1950s. I wonder if Biggles inherited Brendenhall Manor.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 27 Jun 2014, 17:17

kylie_koyote wrote:... he asks if the fellow at Scotland Yard is a relation, Biggles says "As far as I know, I haven't a relation in the world"

I expect he meant with the same name, given the context, and actually that is quite sad.
I wonder if Biggles inherited Brendenhall Manor.

There'd have been death duties, etc. and big houses by then were impossibly expensive to keep up. That's why so many were sold to be hotels or conference centres, or set up with dreadful theme parks for the masses to enjoy. I shouldn't think that, even if he did inherit it, it would have made him rich.

I never get the impression that Biggles is rich in the air police books - remembering his comments to Algy about the dole queue at the start of Looks Back…Although… he did buy an aeroplane for Bertie to fetch Marie, EVS and himself in, so he couldn't have been that poor.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Kismet » 27 Jun 2014, 17:28

Who do you class as a relation when you are talking casually? Parents? Siblings? Nieces and Nephews? Aunts? Uncles? Cousins?

And does he actually think of Algy as a relation? He'd only met him once before adulthood, and after that he was flight member, best friend, partner etc.

Also, how close a relative is a cousin? It can be shorthand for all sorts of actual relationships. I know a couple of girls (the same age) who call themselves cousins, but actually one is the cousin of the other's father, and this is common in families.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Postby SaintedAunt » 27 Jun 2014, 17:41

Well, if you don't go with Algy and Biggles being cousins in the sense of one of each's parents being siblings, you spoil more than one fan fic on this forum ...
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Janet_B » 27 Jun 2014, 17:49

SaintedAunt wrote:Well, if you don't go with Algy and Biggles being cousins in the sense of one of each's parents being siblings, you spoil more than one fan fic on this forum ...

That is true, @SA. I always think of that bond between Algy and Biggles.
Janet_B
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Kismet » 27 Jun 2014, 17:52

You can have whatever relationship you want in a fan fic: it's your universe. That's one of the joys of writing fan fics.

If you are writing a scholarly paper you have to say that Algy is referred to as cousin once, and as some sort of distant relation once etc etc with chapter and verse for each reference.

In a fan fic you can say 'In my world they are related by one each of their parents being siblings' and that is the end of the matter.

I have a lovely time inventing families for them and it doesn't worry me at all that there is no evidence in canon for or against these relationships, or that they don't match other people's ideas of their families. Or,thinking about it, I don't mind being inconsistent in my own inventions.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Postby Frecks » 27 Jun 2014, 18:35

Was their relationship mentioned in more than one book then? Was he classed as a first cousin in "The Boob"?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 27 Jun 2014, 18:38

Frecks wrote:Was their relationship mentioned in more than one book then? Was he classed as a first cousin in "The Boob"?

In Rescue Flight it says Algy was "some sort of distant relation".

In the short story "the boob" from Camels, it doesn't say exactly. Biggles gets a letter from "an elderly female relative" and she asks him to look after "her son, my cousin". So it could be a first or second or third... or whatever cousin. (In my family, I am in touch with my third cousins, but I don't know any of my fourth cousins or beyond.)
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 27 Jun 2014, 18:42

That does not sound like and actual first cousin. In the interwar books Algy is usually referred to as Biggles' partner.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 27 Jun 2014, 18:51

Frecks wrote:That does not sound like and actual first cousin. In the interwar books Algy is usually referred to as Biggles' partner.

Yes, he is and the relationship is not mentioned again (if memory serves). But I agree with KK. My cousin could mean first, second or third, although it's more likely to be first or second, I imagine.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Previous

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books