Delivers The Goods - a question

Discuss a Biggles book!

Delivers The Goods - a question

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Jan 2014, 04:13

What does "poodle faking" mean? Algy calls the Japanese commander a "poodle-faking admiral". While this made me laugh, I have no clue what it really means.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Delivers The Goods - a question

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 15 Jan 2014, 06:47

Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Jan 2014, 14:58

Oh haha, that's really funny! I don't know if the description would quite apply to the Japanese admiral, but it's a nice epithet to toss about which is not profanity.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby alderaanian » 03 Sep 2018, 08:39

Oh man now that I am delving into the archives of my teenaged self (shudder) in search of what Biggles reading inspired me to do during that period (I believe I wasn't quite sane then), I have unearthed a few gems, such as this one, because I had the same question as you did:

alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby alderaanian » 03 Sep 2018, 09:03

I might add that to a Singaporean audience, Algy's near escape at the hands of the Japanese hits close to home and is as harrowing as they come. Beheading of prisoners (enemies, local civilians, POWs) was a common trope in depictions of the Japanese military in the postwar period and is kind of seared into popular consciousness by depictions in pop culture, TV serials featuring the Occupation and the like (along with a long list of atrocities). Scary stuff.
alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 03 Sep 2018, 12:44

kylie_koyote wrote:Oh haha, that's really funny! I don't know if the description would quite apply to the Japanese admiral, but it's a nice epithet to toss about which is not profanity.

Bahahaha, that's waaay too funny! For some reason, I had always assumed this had something to do with poodles & how they walk with their head held high, all the while the little legs racing furiously beneath the dignified, manicured & powdered 'top half'' or head, lol. :lol:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 03 Sep 2018, 22:58

OzBiggles1963 wrote: For some reason, I had always assumed this had something to do with poodles & how they walk with their head held high, all the while the little legs racing furiously beneath the dignified, manicured & powdered 'top half'' or head, lol. :lol:

Well, that's close to it. The last paragraph of the link I posted above way back when, says:

'The term offends by suggesting a man is taking on the role of a subservient lapdog. The poor old poodle has had a bad press because of its role as a cosseted appurtenance in ladies’ boudoirs and poodle, of course, has been used for a lickspittle or lackey or an obsequious follower, a term that also dates from the beginning of the twentieth century'.

So you can understand why Algy used it.
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels

Postby Wanderer » 05 Sep 2018, 10:39

alderaanian wrote:I might add that to a Singaporean audience, Algy's near escape at the hands of the Japanese hits close to home and is as harrowing as they come. Beheading of prisoners (enemies, local civilians, POWs) was a common trope in depictions of the Japanese military in the postwar period and is kind of seared into popular consciousness by depictions in pop culture, TV serials featuring the Occupation and the like (along with a long list of atrocities). Scary stuff.

Considering that Delivers the Goods was probably written just at the end of the war (it was published April 1946) I think WEJ had a good handle on Japanese behaviour in its occupied territories. The general public in Australia remained hostile to Japanese for decades. I know of a story of a family who bought a Datsun in the early 1960s who were shunned by the rest of their family for years. In the early 1970s I did Japanese history and culture in High School three years running as part of Social Science, it being part of the Government's agenda to soften attitudes to our new economic saviours...
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby alderaanian » 06 Sep 2018, 16:24

(Disclaimer: Discussion and links to descriptions of Japanese war crimes may be disturbing)

Sounds about right, similar to the way attitudes have evolved here as well!
Just to share a glimpse of the classic portrayal of the Japanese as the aggressor in WWII, here's the theme song of one of the most epic and nation-binding TV serials of the 1990s that I grew up watching! (it's pretty intense...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvFm97vRGt8

The TV serial is The Price of Peace, a drama which the entire nation was glued to in front of the TV every weeknight at 7pm when it was first shown in 1997, regardless of whether they were Mandarin-speaking or not. The non-Mandarin speakers would watch the show with English subtitles. Despite some artistic licence, it is a historically accurate depiction of life leading up to and under the Japanese Occupation based on numerous first-person accounts. The first few moments of the sequence show some of our (i.e. what was then Malaya) war heroes / resistance members. The theme song also depicts sequences of the Sook Ching exercise in Singapore in which the civilian Chinese population was screened and between 50,000 to 100,000 of the men were taken away and shot (as long as they did not have calluses on their hands or dirt under their nails, implying that they were educated, for example). At 1:41 there is a glimpse of a Japanese officer raising his sword.

...Now I feel compelled to bring a bit of balance to this post by saying that all this was a long time ago and attitudes in this country to the modern Japanese are quite different from the occupying forces being the bogeymen of my childhood. Our countries are now allies, teenagers in my country have the option to take Japanese as a third language, many of my generation are avid anime-watchers and many of my friends and family travel/live/work in Japan quite happily....

Also, just googled this - I did not previously realise that actually execution of captured Allied airmen was OFFICIAL Japanese policy during the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ied_airmen
Related article on the Enemy Airmen's Act on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Airmen%27s_Act (Somewhat of a disturbing coincidence, one of the executed airmen in this article shares the same first name as Algy)

I guess although WEJ seems to have been quite well informed at the time of writing Delivers The Goods, Biggles did not know about this policy during the mission or he might have been a lot more distressed than he already was prior to the rescue expedition (there's a bit in there in which he says something like "Nothing much can happen to Algy between now and then") :cry:
alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby CaptWilks » 07 Sep 2018, 05:06

alderaanian wrote:Now I feel compelled to bring a bit of balance to this post by saying that all this was a long time ago and attitudes in this country to the modern Japanese are quite different from the occupying forces being the bogeymen of my childhood. Our countries are now allies, teenagers in my country have the option to take Japanese as a third language, many of my generation are avid anime-watchers and many of my friends and family travel/live/work in Japan quite happily.

Anime is much watched in my home and some of the best TV and movies now comes from Japan. I have had Japanese students and colleagues and, without exception, they are the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful people. But older relatives were affected, in many ways, by both the German and Japanese aggression. This is life.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Spitfire666 » 24 Sep 2018, 09:23

alderaanian wrote:(Disclaimer: Discussion and links to descriptions of Japanese war crimes may be disturbing)

I went to an exhibition of the work of cartoonist Ralph Steadman, who was a Japanese POW. One picture that made me feel ill was the inside of a guardroom, where the mantlepiece behind the laughing guards was decorated with the heads of POWs.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Tommy Smith » 24 Sep 2018, 10:13

Ronald Searle was the chap I believe, I always have to think twice on that one. And to think he then went on to create and draw St Trinians. Some pretty cool processing going on there.

Interesting alderaanian, I will look into that.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 25 Sep 2018, 07:22

Tommy Smith wrote:Ronald Searle was the chap I believe, I always have to think twice on that one. And to think he then went on to create and draw St Trinians. Some pretty cool processing going on there.

Interesting alderaanian, I will look into that.

Apologies TS, I always get those two mixed up. Yes, it was the St. Trinians chap. :oops:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby alderaanian » 26 Sep 2018, 18:07

Hi TS, yes it was S666 who posted the above post, not me. The only POW art I was exposed to was Stanley Warren's Changi murals (http://www.rafchangi.com/reports/changi-mural/ ) which I think my father took me to see as a child, or perhaps I might have encountered a reference to them at the Changi museum memorial.
In 2011, a Singaporean filmmaker made a short film in tribute to the artist and the traumatic memories of that era, the trailer to which can be seen at this link https://janetsnotebook.com/2013/11/09/t ... ey-warren/
alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby CaptWilks » 27 Sep 2018, 05:17

The classic aviation history Anime is Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. For me, a little lacking in drama but, as always, beautifully drawn and with a great score.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises

Being a fan of Miyazaki, I bought a boxed set of his complete (so far) works. His other flying anime is Porco Rosso.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby alderaanian » 27 Sep 2018, 06:34

CaptWilks wrote:Being a fan of Miyazaki, I bought a boxed set of his complete (so far) works. His other flying anime is Porco Rosso.

Wow! :D My favourites are Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, though Totoro is cute. I found The Wind Rises quite melancholy, because of the meditation on the beauty inherent in the process of creation, and in the flight, of what ultimately is an engine of war and destruction. Something it shares with some of the other war/flight poems posted on this forum.
alderaanian
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby CaptWilks » 27 Sep 2018, 07:51

alderaanian wrote:
CaptWilks wrote:Being a fan of Miyazaki, I bought a boxed set of his complete (so far) works. His other flying anime is Porco Rosso.

Wow! :D My favourites are Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, though Totoro is cute. I found The Wind Rises quite melancholy, because of the meditation on the beauty inherent in the process of creation, and in the flight, of what ultimately is an engine of war and destruction. Something it shares with some of the other war/flight poems posted on this forum.

I like those three but my favourites would be Laputa and Ponyo. Laputa has a lyrical, timeless quality. And Ponyo is a delight, with great performances English version. If I could understand Japanese, I would listen to the original, but I don't and I do not have the gift of learning languages.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Kismet » 28 Sep 2018, 16:06

I quite like Howl's Moving Castle, but it was a favourite book and I rarely rate the film version over the book version. Neil Gaimon's Stardust is a rare example of me preferring the film to the book, and that might be partly because I saw the film first.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Return to WEJ Biggles books - individual books