Ginger's part in the books

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger's part in the books

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Mar 2014, 20:51

Kismet wrote:Biggles doesn't scream. Biggles grips arms with a grip of iron. Quite frequently. I imagine all his friends / squadron members comparing the finger shaped bruises inflicted on them whenever he has to watch a dodgy landing.

Ginger grabs people by the arm too. Or the thigh, if they're sitting in the plane.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 05 Mar 2014, 20:53

kylie_koyote wrote:
Kismet wrote:Biggles doesn't scream. Biggles grips arms with a grip of iron. Quite frequently. I imagine all his friends / squadron members comparing the finger shaped bruises inflicted on them whenever he has to watch a dodgy landing.

Ginger grabs people by the arm too. Or the thigh, if they're sitting in the plane.

But Ginger's sheepish about it afterwards. When does he grab someone by the thigh?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Mar 2014, 20:55

I think it's "Another job for Biggles". They're flying along and Ginger notices a hole in the fabric of their wing. He grabs Biggles by the leg because he's panicky and not very particular about where he's grabbing, he just needs to get his attention pronto.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby tiffinata » 05 Mar 2014, 21:44

Slightly off-topic, but I was looking up 1940's slang last night (particularly cockney) and 'Ginger' had a totally different meaning!
The source said it referred to a gay man.

Could you imaging the first meeting between Ginger and Tug? :lol:
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Miss Carstairs » 05 Mar 2014, 22:05

Well, from what I remember of Tug's first appearance in 'Spitfire Parade' he was causing Algy to clutch Biggles' arm. Because of his terrible landing skills.
A bit later he makes Algy's voice rise to 'a shrill falsetto' because of his terribly effective Junkers-shooting-over-aerodrome skills.
I got the book out to see if Ginger was involved but no... sadly.

I find Ginger's ability to scream and be properly scared at stuff one of his redeeming qualities, tbh!!
'What did the lettuces do to you?'
Miss Carstairs
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

My top chap: Mahoney

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Mar 2014, 22:07

Doesn't Ginger tell Tug off about teasing Henry and tells him you shouldn't judge a book by its cover? Or am I mis-remembering?
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Mar 2014, 23:17

kylie_koyote wrote:I think it's "Another job for Biggles". They're flying along and Ginger notices a hole in the fabric of their wing. He grabs Biggles by the leg because he's panicky and not very particular about where he's grabbing, he just needs to get his attention pronto.

Actually Ginger grabs Biggles by the knee :) I happen to be reading that one at the moment. I think you and I were reading chronologically in step a few days ago KK, but I have a feeling you are now on to the next one :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Mar 2014, 23:21

kylie_koyote wrote:Doesn't Ginger tell Tug off about teasing Henry and tells him you shouldn't judge a book by its cover? Or am I mis-remembering?

What Ginger actually says is "Never be in a hurry to judge people".
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 05 Mar 2014, 23:27

SaintedAunt wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:I think it's "Another job for Biggles". They're flying along and Ginger notices a hole in the fabric of their wing. He grabs Biggles by the leg because he's panicky and not very particular about where he's grabbing, he just needs to get his attention pronto.

Actually Ginger grabs Biggles by the knee :) I happen to be reading that one at the moment. I think you and I were reading chronologically in step a few days ago KK, but I have a feeling you are now on to the next one :)

Found it:

"His right hand groped for Biggles's knee and gripped it".

Must say Biggles has nerves of steel: one moment he's flying along, the next he's having his knee gripped and he doesn't let out a squeak.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Mar 2014, 23:37

I'm up to "in Australia" now. But I just got my red fox "condor" in the mail yesterday so I need to jump backward about 25 years.

I'm sorry but the thought of Ginger "groping" for Biggles' knee is rather giggle inducing.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Mar 2014, 00:00

Kismet wrote:Must say Biggles has nerves of steel: one moment he's flying along, the next he's having his knee gripped and he doesn't let out a squeak.

Well I suppose he knew it wasn't likely to be a decapod or a crocodile :lol:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2014, 00:14

Snake, decapod, EVS: at least as likely as Ginger I'd hope!
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Mar 2014, 00:15

kylie_koyote wrote:I'm up to "in Australia" now. But I just got my red fox "condor"

In Australia !!! Can you read 3 books a day or have you jumped over some :lol:
Condor is one of my favourites, full of lovely moments and witty WEJ conversations - he stopped writing them like that far too soon :(
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2014, 00:32

Nope I'm going in order. I read them while the baby's sleeping. Or sometimes I make my husband watch him.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 06 Mar 2014, 03:56

kylie_koyote wrote:I'm up to "in Australia" now. But I just got my red fox "condor"

You're on a roll there, KK. I've decided to become more disciplined and continue reading in chronological order instead of having three on the go at once :roll: You'll have probably gathered that in Australia makes most of the Aussies on this forum cringe when we re-read it these days. It's pluses are that it has EVS :thumbsup2:; it's weakness is the woeful portrayal of the aboriginal peoples in Arnhem Land :thumbdown:
I found the Red Fox Condor in the local library this morning - what a difference to the Dean & Sons editions that I have :roll: I'm about to hit Amazon and buy up all the Red Fox editions that I don't already have :D
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2014, 06:39

I cringe every time Tex says anything. From Cactusville. Really? Cactusville? "Suffering coyotes".
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 06 Mar 2014, 07:52

kylie_koyote wrote:I cringe every time Tex says anything. From Cactusville. Really? Cactusville? "Suffering coyotes".

I haven't read Spitfire Parade for many yrs, but Cactusville? lol

I think WEJ must have read the British comic 'The Dandy', for I believe Tug must have known or been a neighbour of Desperate Dan from Cactusville! :o

Google & Wikipedia tell me: "The comic book star who lived in Cactusville is known as Desperate Dan. The character is found in the British comic 'The Dandy.' He is portrayed as the world strongest man."....and also "He made his appearance in the first issue which was dated 4 December 1937."

Hmm, it's amazing the things I learn from this forum. :lol:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Tommy Smith » 06 Mar 2014, 08:08

kylie_koyote wrote:I cringe every time Tex says anything. From Cactusville. Really? Cactusville? "Suffering coyotes".

I do wonder if that sort of thing was just tongue in cheek humour though, like Merioneth Towers (struggling to think of anything pre Victorian called Towers), it makes me idly wonder if it had some ancient unpronounceable Welsh name, so Agly referred to it as...
(There's certainly one UK airfield that was referred to as Mudville in real life).
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 06 Mar 2014, 09:03

Tommy Smith wrote:

I do wonder if that sort of thing was just tongue in cheek humour though, like Merioneth Towers (struggling to think of anything pre Victorian called Towers), it makes me idly wonder if it had some ancient unpronounceable Welsh name, so Agly referred to it as...
(There's certainly one UK airfield that was referred to as Mudville in real life).

And one of the strangest sounding airport names in the world ["located in the Southern Region of Shark Bay, Western Australia"] is called Useless Loop Airport. :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Purple Pigeon » 06 Mar 2014, 09:22

Wasn't all the knee gripping a throwback to when you couldn't actually talk in a cockpit because it was too noisy? It was the safest way to get your co-pilots attention.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Mar 2014, 09:28

Purple Pigeon wrote:Wasn't all the knee gripping a throwback to when you couldn't actually talk in a cockpit because it was too noisy? It was the safest way to get your co-pilots attention.

You are probably right. In WEJ's early days of flying, presumably it would be so Sometimes in the books he makes them shout above the noise of the engine, and five minutes later they are having a conversation that is too long and complicated to be shouted. And then sometimes he does it the other way round :lol:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 06 Mar 2014, 11:16

Purple Pigeon wrote:Wasn't all the knee gripping a throwback to when you couldn't actually talk in a cockpit because it was too noisy? It was the safest way to get your co-pilots attention.

I can't remember which aircraft they were in at the time of this incident. Was it the Auster? (It was published in 1951, I think?) I've never flown in an Auster, but I've had several flights in a Cessna 170 (built 1955) and, whilst the engines were noisy, we were able to carry on a conversation without having to shout, or grab the pilot's knee to get his attention. It's also highly likely that Biggles and Ginger would have had headphones and would have used their internal intercom system whilst flying. I truly can't imagine (and, just to be sure, I did check with my trusty and knowledgeable Mr RSG) that they would have been flying those distances in the post WWII era without their headphones and intercom. Headphones and internal intercom for aircrew was standard practice in WWII.
So - it's quite possible that this was Ginger being excitable when he saw the damage to the fabric and his immediate reaction was to grab Biggles knee. Of course, knowing wej's difficulties with consistency, it's quite possible that he "forgot" they would have had headphones... :lol:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 06 Mar 2014, 11:20

And further to the above, Mr RSG has just pointed out an article he was looking at where a 1947 built Auster's engine noise was so unbelievably loud that all its pilots wore headphones both to communicate and to protect their ears from the noise :!:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 06 Mar 2014, 15:16

I'd have thought that since Biggles spent half of his life dodging bullets while flying, a grabbed knee would be quite tame by comparison...

I believe Biggles mostly shouts when he's startled or upset. Ginger seems to do a lot of screaming.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2014, 15:32

SopwithCamel wrote:I'd have thought that since Biggles spent half of his life dodging bullets while flying, a grabbed knee would be quite tame by comparison...

I believe Biggles mostly shouts when he's startled or upset. Ginger seems to do a lot of screaming.

I can't compare it to dodging bullets, but I can assure you that a grabbed knee gets all my attention immediately.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 06 Mar 2014, 16:48

Rather depends on who is doing the grabbing, surely? :lol:

I find it just a bit strange that the knee is the place Ginger chose to grab. Wouldn't an arm be better? Or the arm of the seat?

Or something? :shock:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2014, 16:55

SopwithCamel wrote:Rather depends on who is doing the grabbing, surely? :lol:

I find it just a bit strange that the knee is the place Ginger chose to grab. Wouldn't an arm be better? Or the arm of the seat?

If he was staring at the window and not looking where he was putting his hands, he's lucky he just got Biggles' knee. :o
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Mar 2014, 16:56

But he didn't choose to grab the knee, Soppy. His eyes were riveted on the slit in the wing. He just felt and got the knee first :)
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2014, 17:26

SaintedAunt wrote:

But he didn't choose to grab the knee, Soppy. His eyes were riveted on the slit in the wing. He just felt and got the knee first :)

Oh dear. More images in my brain that shouldn't be there. if he just felt until he got the knee I'm more surprised than ever that Biggles didn't make a sound.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2014, 17:29

Snickering madly here. Thanks all.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger