Ginger in Noble Lord

Section for Ginger discussions

Ginger in Noble Lord

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 11:43

Can anyone explain to me how Ginger could look like an Indian Princess with red hair and a pale face full of freckles?
Inactive User 149
-

Re: Ginger in Noble Lord

Postby Fairblue » 17 Jan 2014, 12:02

Jenny Rob wrote:Can anyone explain to me how Ginger could look like an Indian Princess with red hair and a pale face full of freckles?

Put simply, No! :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 12:12

They gave him a bath in some stuff to make him a nice pale coffee colour (it wouldn't wash off) so that would probably have darkened his hair. His short hair with a masculine style.

Maybe he had a wig - when did they start to be popular accessories? I remember adverts suggesting that you travelled in a wig so you always looked good and didn't have to worry about what your real hair was doing.

Did he have red or pink lipstick?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 12:19

I don't remember what colour his lipstick was - it would not look good with his freckles anyway. He must have had a long, black wig and possibly a headscarf. Was he in Indian dress? That would have been a long dress probably a Sari. In other stories they just had a driver in a posh car with the jewels taking them to the owner which would have been much more realistic.

Were did you get your Avatar from Kismet? I have not seen that picture anywhere.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 12:27

Were did you get your Avatar from Kismet? I have not seen that picture anywhere.

It's part of the picture in Biggles Forms a Syndicate where Dizzy is telling the others of his discovery. I just cropped it.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 12:39

Very good - is it Algy and Bertie or Bertie and Ginger?
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Inactive User 149 » 17 Jan 2014, 12:45

Sorry Kismet I have seen your reply in the other thread now.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby tiffinata » 17 Jan 2014, 20:47

Not having read the book- perhaps he dresses as a Muslim princess or had a veil?
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 20:57

It doesn't say what he was wearing beyond lipstick and two inch heels, sadly.

How many days does Ginger dress up for? Bertie is polishing the Rolls at the Savoy for 4 days before the baddies show up. Is Ginger wafting in and out of the Savoy dressed as a woman for all that time too?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 21:02

It really is a shame there are not more illustrations in these stories.

Also, re: Ginger's freckles - perhaps they have mellowed over time. My husband was very freckly as a teen, but now you can hardly tell unless he spends a week at the seaside.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Jan 2014, 21:11

tiffinata wrote:Not having read the book- perhaps he dresses as a Muslim princess or had a veil?

WEJ's description is "he made a smart, good-looking young woman". It is quite casually introduced. Ginger just says "I could play the part of some foreign princess over here for a holiday. Bertie could be my chauffeur". The plan is for Ginger to go into a hotel leaving Bertie in the car. I think the inplication is that Ginger was wearing Western dress, including the 2" heels and lipstick. Biggles does "smile broadly" when Ginger gives them his plan.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 21:13

[quoteIt really is a shame there are not more illustrations in these stories.][/quote]

Yes. It is. If only the illustrators had read the books and illustrated what was actually in them.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 21:16

Spitfire666 wrote:
tiffinata wrote:Not having read the book- perhaps he dresses as a Muslim princess or had a veil?

WEJ's description is "he made a smart, good-looking young woman". It is quite casually introduced. Ginger just says "I could play the part of some foreign princess over here for a holiday. Bertie could be my chauffeur". The plan is for Ginger to go into a hotel leaving Bertie in the car. I think the implication is that Ginger was wearing Western dress, including the 2" heels and lipstick. Biggles does "smile broadly" when Ginger gives them his plan.

This whole bit of Noble Lord is extraordinary. It is almost as if WEJ was thinking "now, what excuse can I give to get one of the chums to dress as a woman?".

I first read this one when I was twelve and the very idea sent me into paroxysms of giggles.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 21:21

This whole bit of Noble Lord is extraordinary. It is almost as if WEJ was thinking "now, what excuse can I give to get one of the chums to dress as a woman?".

I first read this one when I was twelve and the very idea sent me into paroxysms of giggles.

I hardly noticed that bit when I first read it. I was far more intrigued with how they made the paper aeroplanes go so far.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 21:27

Kismet wrote:

I hardly noticed that bit when I first read it. I was far more intrigued with how they made the paper aeroplanes go so far.

Oh, about those paper airplanes -

Algy says something to Biggles along the lines of "More than once you've had to stop Ginger fiddling about with these things in the office."

What? Really? You have to tell a grown man more than once to stop playing paper airplanes in an office?
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Jan 2014, 21:36

kylie_koyote wrote:Algy says something to Biggles along the lines of "More than once you've had to stop Ginger fiddling about with these things in the office."

What? Really? You have to tell a grown man more than once to stop playing paper airplanes in an office?

And that is after Biggles comes into the room and finds all three of them engaged in it. :lol:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 17 Jan 2014, 21:39

kylie_koyote wrote:Oh, about those paper airplanes -

Algy says something to Biggles along the lines of "More than once you've had to stop Ginger fiddling about with these things in the office."

Well, they didn't have solitaire on their computers to relieve the boredom, did they? :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 17 Jan 2014, 21:41

kylie_koyote wrote:

It's not just Ginger though. When Biggles goes back to the office at the start he finds all three of them playing with the paper planes and just tells them that's enough and to pay attention to him now.

Well, they didn't have solitaire on their computers to relieve the boredom, did they? :lol:
:lol:
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jan 2014, 21:43

Kismet wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:

It's not just Ginger though. When Biggles goes back to the office at the start he finds all three of them playing with the paper planes and just tells them that's enough and to pay attention to him now.

:lol:

That's true - it's amazing what looks like "work" these days... ahem. (at office now...) :oops:
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tracer » 18 Jan 2014, 11:32

Now if you'd worked in an Ops office in a pre-computer era, you'd know that games of paper aeroplanes at slack times are only part of it. :lol:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Fairblue » 18 Jan 2014, 11:47

Fairblue wrote:Well, they didn't have solitaire on their computers to relieve the boredom, did they? :lol:

kylie_koyote wrote:That's true - it's amazing what looks like "work" these days... ahem. (at office now...) :oops:

Yes, and you 're so engrossed in whatever you were doing that you don't notice your boss has crept up behind you until she gives a gentle cough. :lol:
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Jan 2014, 12:05

Tracer wrote:Now if you'd worked in an Ops office in a pre-computer era, you'd know that games of paper aeroplanes at slack times are only part of it. :lol:

For real? Or are you teasing?

Well we have a mini-golf tournament here for the poor souls who have to work on Christmas Eve.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Jan 2014, 12:29

Also, how big was their office? I don't think they got a desk apiece. Biggles had the main desk and there was sat least one side table and some filing cabinets, but it must have been kind of cramped when they were all home.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tracer » 18 Jan 2014, 13:18

kylie_koyote wrote:
Tracer wrote:Now if you'd worked in an Ops office in a pre-computer era, you'd know that games of paper aeroplanes at slack times are only part of it. :lol:

For real? Or are you teasing?

For real. The tension ran so high when hell was poppin' that we would get a little silly when things were quiet.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 18 Jan 2014, 20:21

[quote="Kismet"]It doesn't say what he was wearing beyond lipstick and two inch heels, sadly.

How many days does Ginger dress up for?

And more importantly, does he enjoy it?
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Jan 2014, 20:44

Crazy Man Michael wrote:How many days does Ginger dress up for?

And more importantly, does he enjoy it?

WEJ is not really clear here. Ginger has some pictures taken for the newspapers. Bertie spends time polishing the car and habitually wears a chauffeur's uniform. A week later they head off. There is no mention of what Ginger was doing in the time between. My guess is that he stays in his room and has his meals there. I think he would have to be dressed up for part of each day when the staff come around. When Ginger comes out of the hotel it says Bertie had difficulty keeping a straight face. When the jewel box has been pinched, it says they went back to London with "Ginger looking forward to getting out of his disguise, which he found uncomfortable, and into his own clothes."

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 18 Jan 2014, 21:50

Sorry, I should have typed: 'and more importantly does he enjoy it? ;) '
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Fairblue » 18 Jan 2014, 21:59

Crazy Man Michael wrote:Sorry, I should have typed: 'and more importantly does he enjoy it? ;) '

I found the whole dressing up episode a bit cringe-making. It was only Bertie being the chauffeur that redeemed it for me. ;)
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Jan 2014, 22:18

Fairblue wrote:I found the whole dressing up episode a bit cringe-making. It was only Bertie being the chauffeur that redeemed it for me. ;)

Bertie did a brilliant job as the chauffeur. 8-)

Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SaintedAunt » 18 Jan 2014, 23:46

I found it cringe-making too. Not one of WEJ's better plots. Not one of his better books - not for me anyway. Despite the paper aeroplanes. In fact to be honest I thought even they were a bit improbable.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Next

Return to Ginger