Ginger in Noble Lord

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger in Noble Lord

Postby Kismet » 19 Jan 2014, 13:12

Crazy Man Michael wrote:Sorry, I should have typed: 'and more importantly does he enjoy it? ;) '

As the whole thing was his idea, I hope so.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Inactive User 149 » 21 Jan 2014, 10:36

Well it was his suggestion :lol: I really do not like Noble Lord it is a very strange book and nothing like the others in the series.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 17:48

It was one of the first couple of Biggles books that I read, so I don't think I realized at the time how very unusual it was.

It has some of my favorite scenes in it. I love the line about "It had better be Ginger. He kids himself he has a way with animals."

Really? Isn't he normally stuck up a tree or something by an angry dog?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2014, 18:10

Does make you wonder where, when and why he is of that opinion, not many animals around Mount Street, or any notable instances in any book I can remember. Don't think he got on very well with the dog in Black Peril...
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 19:00

Tommy Smith wrote:Does make you wonder where, when and why he is of that opinion, not many animals around Mount Street, or any notable instances in any book I can remember. Don't think he got on very well with the dog in Black Peril...

If anyone I should think Bertie would be the one who has a way with animals. He's the only one who is ever described as having a pet (Towser) or enjoying time with animals - usually they are only being chased by dogs.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2014, 20:10

As Jenny Rob points out Ginger has quite a sympathetic nature so maybe he would have enjoyed having pets had it been possible, and it was wishful thinking.
I can almost see him with a dog like Tintin :D

I can also see Biggles pouring cold water on the idea.

Didn't Bertie's dog bite Biggles or something?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 21 Jan 2014, 20:21

Tommy Smith wrote:As Jenny Rob points out Ginger has quite a sympathetic nature so maybe he would have enjoyed having pets had it been possible, and it was wishful thinking.

Didn't Bertie's dog bite Biggles or something?

Bertie's dog jumped up at Biggles in such a way that Biggles sprained his wrist and Bertie had to do the special mission instead.

Didn't Biggles admire a dog in one of the Air Police short stories - the one where poodles (?) are smuggled? I always wondered how genuine that was, though I suppose he'd have been around gun dogs when he was younger.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 20:58

Biggles says that he hates barbed wire because he saw a puppy get ripped up on some when he was a boy. I forget what book that's in, but the mental image was haunting enough to stick with me!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2014, 21:01

It is rotten stuff, the hound tore himself on it a few times so I know how he feels...
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Jan 2014, 21:10

Tommy Smith wrote:As Jenny Rob points out Ginger has quite a sympathetic nature so maybe he would have enjoyed having pets had it been possible, and it was wishful thinking.

I do think Ginger would quite like a pet, but they traveled so much that it would be impractical - unless Mrs. Symes had one.

In a lot of photos I've seen of the early days of the RFC/RAF, there was a squadron dog.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 149 » 22 Jan 2014, 11:12

There was always Towser and Annie in Spitfire Parade. In & Co. it says Ginger was naturally fond of dogs. I think he would have loved a pet. I love the bit in Cuts It Fine when he releases the rabbit from the trap on the island.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Purple Pigeon » 22 Jan 2014, 12:22

There is also a cat in Spitfire Parade - the one that Bertie and Towser chase. Bertie may have been fond of horses and dogs but he doesn't seem to be a cat person. Hopefully the cat got revenge!

Ginger also is upset by the mistreatment of a horse in Spain.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Jan 2014, 14:17

Biggles is nice to the pony in Sees it Through and he releases the pheasant in Goes to School. And in Black Mask he puts the guard dogs to sleep for a couple of hours rather than poison them. Shows a proper concern for other species...
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Kismet » 22 Jan 2014, 14:41

kylie_koyote wrote:Biggles says that he hates barbed wire because he saw a puppy get ripped up on some when he was a boy. I forget what book that's in, but the mental image was haunting enough to stick with me!

It's from Looks Back. Biggles and EVS are concealed in a turret of the schloss watching the guards put up barbed wire to keep them out of the schloss.

Biggles couldn't have a dog because it would require walking.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 22 Jan 2014, 14:48

And in Cruise of the Condor he regretted the necessity of killing the King Condor which was attacking him.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Jan 2014, 15:03

Kismet wrote:Biggles couldn't have a dog because it would require walking.

Absolutely spot on :lol:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 22 Jan 2014, 21:15

In 'Fails to Return' they were very considerate about the treatment of the donkey they borrowed.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Jan 2014, 23:30

All things considered, when it came to animals, they were jolly good chaps :yay:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 149 » 23 Jan 2014, 14:02

Going back to Noble Lord whatever they did with Ginger's skin and hair his eyes would still have been blue/green - certainly not dark enough for an Indian Princess. Another thought - did he have a handbag?
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Kismet » 23 Jan 2014, 14:10

Jenny Rob wrote:Going back to Noble Lord whatever they did with Ginger's skin and hair his eyes would still have been blue/green - certainly not dark enough for an Indian Princess. Another thought - did he have a handbag?

Maybe they hoped that no one would get close enough to see: the disguise wasn't intended to stand up to close scrutiny.

I hope he had a handbag, with a pretty little lacy handkerchief, and a tiny purse so he could buy himself his coffee. Would he have put his lighter and automatic in as well, just in case?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Inactive User 149 » 23 Jan 2014, 14:13

Well he could have kept anything in it - torch, pocket compass, packet of biscuits, bar of chocolate etc. etc.
Inactive User 149
-

Previous

Return to Ginger