Ginger's childhood

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger's childhood

Postby Purple Pigeon » 21 Feb 2014, 20:40

Jenny Rob wrote:I quite agree Ginger would not have fished unless he wanted to eat the fish but I cannot see a young boy being able to kill and gut a fish and then cook it. I am fairly sure you could buy "dripping" to put on your toast. I think Ginger had some dripping in Black Peril although he does not say where he got it from.

I think that would be something that Ginger would have picked up in the Scouts if not earlier. If you look at the children in Swallows and Amazons which were more or less of the same era - they knew how to prepare and cook fish,
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Inactive User 149 » 22 Feb 2014, 10:36

That is interesting PP. Ginger may well have fished and eaten his catch. I must say I would not fancy doing it myself but of course in those days people used to skin rabbits themselves. Ginger might have learnt about it in the Scouts perhaps when they were teaching survival tactics.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Tracer » 22 Feb 2014, 12:11

Ma taught me when I was very small. If you couldn't skin, pluck and gut, you didn't eat. No oven-ready in those days.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Feb 2014, 12:52

In "Gobi", it says Ginger knew the childhood rhyme about brigands around a campfire. Anyone know what that would be?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 22 Feb 2014, 12:59

It's a joke rhyme:

A Dark and Stormy Night

It was a dark and stormy night,
And villainous brigands, large and small,
Were gathered ‘round their campfire bright,
When their dark Master arose and said:
Antonio, relate unto us a story.

And Antonio arose and said:

And on, and on, and on…

I think there are a few versions of this.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Lycaea » 22 Feb 2014, 16:13

Jenny Rob wrote:I do not think Biggles or Algy hunt.

Not strictly true. In Biggles takes Charge, page 24, Algy says:
”We discovered we both liked shooting. He told me he had a hunting lodge at La Sologne. - - - perhaps join him there in October for the pheasant shooting. He said I might even get a chance at a sanglier.”

(Why is it every time I visit the forum, I end up rushing between my computer and my Biggles-cupbord to check up on quotes etc? Must be one of the reasons I don’t do it so often – I need a few hours free :shock: )
Lycaea
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Inactive User 149 » 24 Feb 2014, 10:36

The more I read about Takes Charge the more I realise it should have been Bertie's book. In Fails to Return it is Bertie who has played tennis etc. in Monte Carlo before the War and it is Bertie who treated it like a home from home and Algy had never been to the South of France at all :roll:
Inactive User 149
-

Postby SaintedAunt » 24 Feb 2014, 10:45

You really will bring down the wrath of Algy fans on your head now Jennifer :lol:

I should look for a good place to hide ;)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 24 Feb 2014, 13:17

Jenny Rob wrote:I quite agree Ginger would not have fished unless he wanted to eat the fish but I cannot see a young boy being able to kill and gut a fish and then cook it. I am fairly sure you could buy "dripping" to put on your toast. I think Ginger had some dripping in Black Peril although he does not say where he got it from.

My grandparents always used to say to us kids when we were bad: 'If you don't stop misbehaving it's bread & dripping for you for dinner!". We had no idea what is was, but they lived through the 1930's depression, so I'm sure they had 1st hand knowledge, lol.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby kylie_koyote » 24 Feb 2014, 17:42

Here's a chance to ride the ISB (idle speculation bus)...

In "Black Peril", Ginger tells Algy he reminds him of an elephant. Algy asks where he's seen an elephant and he says "in the films".

In "in Africa", Ginger says "and to think I once paid to get into Whipsnade". (I had to look up what Whipsnade was.)

Wikipedia tells me it opened to the public in 1931.

So apparently, he went to the zoo after meeting Biggles and Algy, but before the trip to Africa. But from the way he talks about his trip to the zoo, it seems as if he went without Biggles and Algy (though not necessarily I suppose, but I would think it would have been worded differently if they had all gone together).

Maybe he went with some chums from his flight school, or maybe he just up and went by himself one day when Biggles and Algy were otherwise occupied.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 24 Feb 2014, 17:45

Nice deduction!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 24 Feb 2014, 18:32

kylie_koyote wrote:... it seems as if he went without Biggles and Algy ...

Ginger was no wimp. Why would he go everywhere only with Biggles and Algy, who I'm sure would never have wanted to go to Whipsnade :lol: He was a curious lad and would want to explore the new city where he lived - I should think he made no end of trips on his own and with his friends at flying school. The last thing Biggles and Algy would want to do is go out with a crowd of kids… Worse than school :twisted:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 24 Feb 2014, 20:00

Well the whole of London was his playground. If he was privately trained to fly he may not necessarily made any actual friends but I can't imagine him not making friends on his ground engineers course, probably more of his age and background, and going up the pub with them.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 25 Feb 2014, 10:04

Hmmm.

There is a river Hebble in Yorkshire connected to coalmining.
http://story.theholdsworths.org.uk/page ... trail.html
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 25 Feb 2014, 10:09

Lovely TS - very cleverly found. It is a wonder there isn't a settlement called Hebblethwaite as 'thwaite', Norse, meaning clearing, is such a common suffix in the north. I lived in one such, 'Crosthwaite' in fact there are two Crosthwaites in Cumbria. And loads of other 'thwaite's.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 25 Feb 2014, 10:14

Tommy Smith wrote:There is a river Hebble in Yorkshire connected to coalmining.
http://story.theholdsworths.org.uk/page ... trail.html

Lovely ! Thank you for finding this. 8-)
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 May 2014, 23:49

Well, I found a tidbit today. Whatever became of Ginger's father , he wasn't murdered.
That's good to know, I suppose.

In "missing millionaire", Biggles and Ginger are discussing Francisco, who's just shot Brandt. Biggles says "you might feel differently had your father been murdered."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 04 May 2014, 00:11

I've been reading Takes it Rough and I think I may have found a clue to Ginger's birthday. It may be stretching it a bit but here are my thoughts. :thinking2: They're on a mission and at about 4 in the morning Ginger hears voices which belong to the baddies. Usual discussion, waiting to see what happens etc. and about twenty minutes later Biggles says that as it will be dawn in about an hour he wasn't going back to bed. So, sunrise about 5.20-ish. A quick look at an admiralty Almanac and a weather site tells me this is 5th June. Now Ginger has a silver gas lighter, a gift from Bertie for his birthday. It's still a new 'toy' so he uses it on every possible occasion and this is a bit of a joke with the others. So how long would it take for the novelty of the lighter to wear off? A week? A month? Two? Does this mean his birthday was in May (like Biggles) or April? It looks like to me we can rule out June-Dec anyway.
Last edited by Fairblue on 04 May 2014, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 04 May 2014, 00:14

That makes a lot of sense, Fairblue. I think the novelty would last less than a month, anyway, so probably a May birthday.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 04 May 2014, 00:21

More proof that Awesome people have May birthdays! (I do!)

Nice job with the admiralty charts!!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby tiffinata » 04 May 2014, 00:54

NIce piece of detective work!
(So does my mum KK)

I reckon Ginger would have fished and rabbited. He may not have liked it, but we are talking about the Depression years.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Fairblue » 04 May 2014, 05:08

I've not long read a book where Ginger says something about fishing, but can't remember which. I got the impression he enjoyed it. But, of course, fishing when you don't have to and there's no pressure is a - er different kettle of fish altogether, if you'll pardon the pun.
Last edited by Fairblue on 04 May 2014, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Inactive User 171 » 04 May 2014, 08:06

Ginger would not fish for pleasure in South Seas he says there is no point in killing the brutes just for the sake of it and in Cuts It Fine he releases a rabbit caught in a trap when they do not need it for food. Ginger is a softy :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 May 2014, 08:32

He is, and its probably this aspect of him which would stop him from getting on. In Secret Agent Biggles is remarkably cold blooded about the fact the Germans startle the blond girl and pursue her through the woods with dogs and shooting away from them.

Ooops, is that a spoiler?
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 171 » 04 May 2014, 08:34

Yes and Ginger would have defended her/him thinking it was a young girl. I think you are right TS Ginger did not really have the hard edge to make a good leader he is a lovely, warm, kind human being but I do not think he would have been able to send junior officers to their death - he would just have gone himself and that would have been the end of that.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 04 May 2014, 09:49

Jenny wrote:Ginger would not fish for pleasure in South Seas he says there is no point in killing the brutes just for the sake of it and in Cuts It Fine he releases a rabbit caught in a trap when they do not need it for food. Ginger is a softy :lol:

Some people fish for pleasure and then throw the fish back.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby tiffinata » 04 May 2014, 09:54

I know someone who does that. It's rather like a religion for him. I used to enjoy the wild places and plants, but got sick of being yelled at for scaring the fish!
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Purple Pigeon » 04 May 2014, 10:30

Fairblue wrote:I've been reading Takes it Rough and I think I may have found a clue to Ginger's birthday. It may be stretching it a bit but here are my thoughts. :thinking2: They're on a mission and at about 4 in the morning Ginger hears voices which belong to the baddies. Usual discussion, waiting to see what happens etc. and about twenty minutes later Biggles says that as it will be dawn in about an hour he wasn't going back to bed. So, sunrise about 5.20-ish. A quick look at an admiralty Almanac and a weather site tells me this is 5th June. Now Ginger has a silver gas lighter, a gift from Bertie for his birthday. It's still a new 'toy' so he uses it on every possible occasion and this is a bit of a joke with the others. So how long would it take for the novelty of the lighter to wear off? A week? A month? Two? Does this mean his birthday was in May (like Biggles) or April? It looks like to me we can rule out June-Dec anyway.

It's early October in Takes in Rough (see first paragraph of Chapter 2) so I think we are looking at August or September
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Inactive User 171 » 04 May 2014, 10:36

It would be very hard to pin down how long Ginger would be pleased with a new lighter. I do not think he had ever had a lighter before probably because he does not smoke very often.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 04 May 2014, 10:37

Purple Pigeon wrote:
Fairblue wrote:I've been reading Takes it Rough and I think I may have found a clue to Ginger's birthday. It may be stretching it a bit but here are my thoughts. :thinking2: They're on a mission and at about 4 in the morning Ginger hears voices which belong to the baddies. Usual discussion, waiting to see what happens etc. and about twenty minutes later Biggles says that as it will be dawn in about an hour he wasn't going back to bed. So, sunrise about 5.20-ish. A quick look at an admiralty Almanac and a weather site tells me this is 5th June. Now Ginger has a silver gas lighter, a gift from Bertie for his birthday. It's still a new 'toy' so he uses it on every possible occasion and this is a bit of a joke with the others. So how long would it take for the novelty of the lighter to wear off? A week? A month? Two? Does this mean his birthday was in May (like Biggles) or April? It looks like to me we can rule out June-Dec anyway.

It's early October in Takes in Rough (see first paragraph of Chapter 2) so I think we are looking at August or September

:oops: missed that. Bang goes my theory. In that case, why is the sun rising at 5.30-ish in the morning?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger