What would have happened to Ginger if he hadn't met Biggles?

Section for Ginger discussions

Postby Tommy Smith » 13 Nov 2013, 10:08

In Black Peril he's scruffy, run away from home, cheeky, up for raiding hen houses for food. Fond of Gangsters.
Education, probably not the best. No one to vouch for him. No home. Was it during the time of the Depression as well?
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Re: What would have happened to Ginger if he hadn't met Bigg

Postby SaintedAunt » 13 Nov 2013, 11:16

The Depression followed the stock market crash of 1929 and continued until the outbreak of WWII at least, so Ginger would not have found it easy to get work.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 Nov 2013, 11:34

Hmmm, sad to say, but he may have fallen into the wrong company, ended up a pickpocket, petty criminal, gangster's lackey OR, he might have taken up a menial job, gone to night school & then perhaps signed up for the Army at the outbreak of WW2 & ended up on the beach at Dunkirk etc etc.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby SaintedAunt » 13 Nov 2013, 12:16

Tommy Smith wrote:What would have happened to Ginger if he hadn't met Biggles?

A pertinent question is the reverse - what would have happened to Biggles if he hadn't met Ginger :lol:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby J349 » 14 Nov 2013, 09:08

SaintedAunt wrote:
Tommy Smith wrote:What would have happened to Ginger if he hadn't met Biggles?

A pertinent question is the reverse - what would have happened to Biggles if he hadn't met Ginger :lol:

WE Johns would never have let that happen...he'd have found a way out somehow..
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Postby SaintedAunt » 14 Nov 2013, 09:46

Biggles wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:A pertinent question is the reverse - what would have happened to Biggles if he hadn't met Ginger :lol:

WE Johns would never have let that happen...he'd have found a way out somehow..

You are right of course - too valuable a source of income, even in those early days :twisted:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 14 Nov 2013, 10:23

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Hmmm, sad to say, but he may have fallen into the wrong company, ended up a pickpocket, petty criminal, gangster's lackey OR, he might have taken up a menial job, gone to night school & then perhaps signed up for the Army at the outbreak of WW2 & ended up on the beach at Dunkirk etc etc.

One of Ginger's first remarks is "Say! If you have broken out of jail you can count on me." I think he is a good kid, but could have been taken in by some glamourous gangsters. Or if he reached Croydon he might have been given a break by some flyer, because he was so keen.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Inactive User 149 » 14 Nov 2013, 10:40

What an interesting topic. I have always thought Ginger could have gone either way - as you say if he had reached Croydon he might have been taken up by another pilot. It is hard to say whether he would have really gone down a criminal route for any length of time - but he would certainly have helped an escaped prisoner at the time of Black Peril and he mentions creeping about in woods with keepers about. I like to think that his great interest in aviation would have kept him on the right side of the law. As to what Biggles would have done without him I am sure Biggles and Algy could have managed somehow :D
Inactive User 149
-

Postby SaintedAunt » 14 Nov 2013, 11:46

Ginger was honest. He contacted Algy rather than make off with the rest of Biggles' money and he also offered Algy the change from sending the telegram.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 149 » 14 Nov 2013, 11:55

Yes he did really well there. I know Ginger liked gangster films but there would have been an honest hero in them surely to catch the baddies - in Biggles and Co. it mentions his favourite gangster film hero so that might have been a goodie. Whatever Ginger might have become he was very loyal to Biggles and Algy but there is no doubting they were the making of him.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Fairblue » 14 Nov 2013, 12:11

Jenny Rob wrote: Whatever Ginger might have become he was very loyal to Biggles and Algy but there is no doubting they were the making of him.
And let's not forget the war years. Whatever Ginger got up to before the war it was a safe bet that it would have been the forces (as a common airman, soldier or sailor) or down the mines, maybe as a Bevan boy. Biggles and Algy enabled him to become a commissioned officer and subsequently a fighter pilot. He might not have survived the war years if he hadn't fallen in with Biggles and Algy. For sure they were excellent role models who set his moral compass fair and square.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Inactive User 149 » 14 Nov 2013, 12:22

I totally agree with that Fairblue. If Ginger had remained in a mining village and become a miner like his father he would probably have been a Bevan Boy. Ginger did of course do a lot in the pre war years helping Biggles and Algy and saved them on more than one occasion. I also think Biggles enjoyed teaching Ginger and passing on his knowledge to someone who was very keen on flying.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby Kismet » 14 Nov 2013, 14:41

Ginger would have gone to the airport to watch the airliners land, got talking to people, lived a precarious existence running errands and being given 'spare' sandwiches from the ground staff's lunchboxes for a few weeks until he was accepted onto an apprenticeship programme of some type. Whilst studying / working he would board with one of the ground staff that he had met, until he was qualified and striking out on his own.

He might have got a commission in the war.

He would still have a strong Northern accent.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime

Postby Inactive User 149 » 14 Nov 2013, 15:09

What a lovely idea - if he had gone to Brooklands it might have been Smyth that sent him on errands and put him up etc. - he might even have introduced him to Biggles. It is possible that if he had hung around Croydon and Brooklands for long enough he might have bumped into Biggles anyway. That would make a nice fan fic ;)
Inactive User 149
-

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Dec 2013, 18:28

Jenny Rob wrote:I totally agree with that Fairblue...I also think Biggles enjoyed teaching Ginger and passing on his knowledge to someone who was very keen on flying.

Me too. i.e. I totally agree with FB and I love your suggestion about Biggles enjoying passing on his skills and knowledge to someone as keen as Ginger, Jenny :thumbsup2: Biggles would definitely have appreciated Ginger's enthusiasm, but also his keen intelligence and quick-wittedness. Personally, I like to think that, had Ginger not fallen in with Biggles when he did that he might have eventually done so at Brooklands and all would have continued... :D
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Simon Templar » 14 Dec 2013, 19:20

yeah, probably yet another of the anonymous soldiers Biggles encounters...or he might have joined 666 squadron!

Or maybe he would have become the Kevin Keegan of the 30s :D :D :D
Those that live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I went to the museum and saw a Van Gogh painting. Underneath it said "Loaned anonymously."
I went to the front desk and said, "I’d like my Van Gogh back now, please."
Simon Templar
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
Reading now: Blood Sport - Dick Francis
Reading next: Sky Fever
My top chap: Bertie
Random: i can down a pint in 15 seconds

Postby von Zoyton » 15 Dec 2013, 02:55

the book they meet in is the 'blackbeard' one with the big flying boats taking stuff to the iron curtain? E.v.s. turns up in that one.

So ginger could have teamed up with blackbeard on a big flying boat and then met e.v.s. and have become von stalhein's assistant!!! :D
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 15 Dec 2013, 04:25

von Stalhein isn't in The Black Peril (March 1935) - he of course first appears in Flies East (August 35) and then makes his magical reappearance in & Co (April 36). Johns was sure churning out the books then, 5 in 1935 alone! :)
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Keith Richards - Life

Postby Tommy Smith » 15 Dec 2013, 09:55

von Zoyton wrote:the book they meet in is the 'blackbeard' one with the big flying boats taking stuff to the iron curtain? E.v.s. turns up in that one.

So ginger could have teamed up with blackbeard on a big flying boat and then met e.v.s. and have become von stalhein's assistant!!! :D

Hmmm, I'm not sure Ginger would have been too choosy about who he teamed up with if the opportunity to fly was there, or perhaps got in out of his depth before he realised it was dodgy. Would he go over to the dark side?
(Just looking at a vid clip of rich blokes landing their flying boats and the three engined Dornier in it is lush, hard to see him resisting...).
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 149 » 16 Dec 2013, 11:14

I think Ginger was basically honest but I think he could have been led astray quite easily. Once he had met his flying ace hero I do not think there is any doubt that he would remain honest. Also in more than one book it is made clear that he hates traitors and has no sympathy with them at all.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Dec 2013, 11:43

Tommy Smith wrote:
von Zoyton wrote:the book they meet in is the 'blackbeard' one with the big flying boats taking stuff to the iron curtain? E.v.s. turns up in that one. So ginger could have teamed up with blackbeard on a big flying boat and then met e.v.s. and have become von stalhein's assistant!!! :D
Hmmm, I'm not sure Ginger would have been too choosy about who he teamed up with if the opportunity to fly was there, or perhaps got in out of his depth before he realised it was dodgy. Would he go over to the dark side?

Sorry.....I couldn't resist...... :twisted:

EVS glanced at the young red-haired lad in the cabin as the big, black, three-engined Dornier flying boat glided almost noiselessly over the deserted eastern coastline of England. He checked his new recruit's parachute carefully prior to his 1st intelligence gathering/double agent mission for the Iron Curtain, patted him perfunctorily on the head & carefully fitted a cigarette to the long holder in his hand.

Without any further warning he then unceremoniously pushed the boy out of the open door, & said in a deep, stentorian James Earl Jones-like voice to the departing figure: "Ginger, I am your father!"

From the depths of space below came a faint, muffled reply through the black hole where he had so recently disappeared, to be immediately swept away by the remorseless wind:

"NOOOOOOO !!"
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Tommy Smith » 18 Dec 2013, 10:20

Aaaaargh!

:lol:
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to Ginger