Ginger's training

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger's training

Postby SaintedAunt » 14 Nov 2013, 11:49

Jenny Rob wrote:Yes I think they left the two fittest members of the party to carry Henry or as Algy put it "I see you have kept the most dangerous part of the mission for yourself as usual" or words to that effect.

Which is much the same as how Algy puts it in Borneo when he says that if there is a danger a bloke will lose his life, Biggles prefers to do the job himself (I paraphrase here).
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Inactive User 149 » 14 Nov 2013, 11:57

Yes quite but Ginger has other ideas and insists on going with Biggles.
Inactive User 149
-

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 14 Nov 2013, 12:13

Spitfire666 wrote:
Purple Pigeon wrote:I've just acquired a Girls Own Annual (1930-1931) and it contains an article called "Shall we ever Fly to School?" In part it talks about a 14 year old girl, Leslie Mant who seems to be a sort of female version of Ginger (albeit one with supportive parents!). The period is slightly before his time but the comments about the training are interesting.

That is very interesting: is any author given for the article?

Can't find any author/journalist for the Girls Own Annual article on Google myself, but a couple of old newspaper articles were found, one as follows from 22/5/1932:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 11,3981516
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Purple Pigeon » 14 Nov 2013, 12:50

The Girls Own article was written by Norah Cameron.

Other interesting information is that at the time if you wanted an air taxi it cost about ninepence a mile. A half hour "pilot's test flight" which is a taster lesson in dual control flying cost about 2 guineas.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Previous

Return to Ginger