Inter War Years

Section for Ginger discussions

Inter War Years

Postby Inactive User 171 » 18 Jun 2014, 08:37

Following on from another topic when you think about the inter war years and the introduction of Ginger it could be said that this is when the books became more "juvenile" but if you think about it a lot of those books had very real peril. In Flies West with a very young and vulnerable Dick his home life was horrendous in the first place, the supposed death of his father was awful for him and the danger in the book was very real. Algy was grief stricken and could think of nothing else when he thought Biggles had been drowned and when Dick is quite casually saying he has seen Algy and Ginger Biggles is greatly relieved that they are still alive. Flies South again has very real danger as do most of the books in the interwar years. Air Commodore is the same as are the other books leading up to WWII.
Inactive User 171
-

Re: Inter War Years

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Jun 2014, 11:20

There is rather a lot of violence in many of the books, but it's not glorified or portrayed as "fun", which I think is key - unlike a lot of the violent films and video games available these days.

When Ginger shoots the baddie (not realizing his gun was loaded) in "Black Peril", he is horrified by what he's done. And he only shoots the plane in "Air Commodore" because he was shot at first and it was either fight back or die.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Inter War Years

Postby Inactive User 171 » 18 Jun 2014, 11:26

Yes Ginger is not a violent person as such but he will defend himself and the others.
Inactive User 171
-

Return to Ginger