Ginger growing up

Section for Ginger discussions

Ginger growing up

Postby Jennifer » 30 Apr 2013, 15:00

We know Biggles took Ginger in when he was a young lad and took charge of his education but I often wonder if that would include teaching him "the facts of life" etc. Things like that were not discussed much in those days.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Re: Ginger growing up

Postby von Zoyton » 30 Apr 2013, 15:53

well he certainly had an eye for the ladies
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

My top chap: Biggles
Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby Jennifer » 30 Apr 2013, 16:08

Ginger did get very attached to Full Moon when he was very young. Of course in Hits the Trail Biggles is giving him a lot of "moral guidance" with regard to flying and honouring the traditions of the RFC.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Tommy Smith » 30 Apr 2013, 16:22

Oh the very thought! Biggles would definitely delegate that sort of thing to Algy.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby von Zoyton » 30 Apr 2013, 16:28

Jennifer wrote:Ginger did get very attached to Full Moon when he was very young. Of course in Hits the Trail Biggles is giving him a lot of "moral guidance" with regard to flying and honouring the traditions of the RFC.

in fails to return there was a girl, i am sure a few others also
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby SaintedAunt » 30 Apr 2013, 18:27

Tommy Smith wrote:Oh the very thought! Biggles would definitely delegate that sort of thing to Algy.

Definitely :lol:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Tommy Smith » 02 May 2013, 17:50

Actually thinking about it, leaving it to Algy would be a terrible idea. It was Biggles who had to tell Algy to pack it in with the foreign lady unless he was going to marry her. Given Ginger's eye for the women he must have had sleepless nights worrying about the sort of trouble he could get himself into. Not surprised he smoked so much.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Jennifer » 03 May 2013, 09:39

Yes he must have been quite worried in The South Seas when Ginger had been alone with Full Moon for so long.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby James » 03 May 2013, 13:20

Lord Bertram seemed to be the one with the most advice :)
James
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Reading last: Does some Homework
Reading now: The Colour of Magic

Postby Jennifer » 03 May 2013, 14:03

Yes he really did not like Ginger getting involved with Jeanette in Biggles Fails to Return did he? I could never understand why Ginger found her so attractive. She did not even like him kissing her on her forehead!
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 May 2013, 19:48

Jennifer wrote:Yes he really did not like Ginger getting involved with Jeanette in Biggles Fails to Return did he? I could never understand why Ginger found her so attractive. She did not even like him kissing her on her forehead!

The suggestion was, from her mother, that she was just shy ;) AFter all, they spent lots of time to together, while they all were waiting for transport back to England :)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby CaptWilks » 04 May 2013, 00:59

Jennifer wrote:Yes he must have been quite worried in The South Seas when Ginger had been alone with Full Moon for so long.

Well, Full Moon had a boyfriend with a habit -- as Full Moon herself did -- of attacking people with a machete. :lol:
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 May 2013, 10:27

Right, just ordered Biggles In the South Seas to investigate Machete woman.
Bertie was just worried he was going to lose his flying chums to dreaded domestic duties.....
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Jennifer » 07 May 2013, 10:30

Yes it is quite a big leap from Full Moon killing the native in the grotto when Ginger had only wounded him to a very shy, modest girl in Fails to Return. He also enjoyed Anna's company in Biggles Takes a Hand.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Purple Pigeon » 07 May 2013, 10:43

Would Ginger's school have been coeducational? If so he would have had more interaction with girls than the others at an equivalent age (unless Bertie or Algy had sisters or girl cousins).
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Jennifer » 07 May 2013, 10:49

Ginger would have gone to a very basic school in a mining village which would have had girls as well up to about fourteen years old. I think Ginger would have got a lot of his education from the cinema - he obviously watched flying films and nature films as well as his gangster movies. This is really my original point about Ginger growing up. He was still a child when he met Biggles and after that he did not have much contact with anyone his own age. Biggles gave him moral guidance on being accepted by the other aviators of that time but I woundered if he would have given hime any other advice on more personal matters. He would certainly have had to improve his table manners etc.
Jennifer
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Purple Pigeon » 07 May 2013, 13:04

Don't forget that Ginger used to be a Boy Scout! I'm suspect there was a fair bit of moral guidance there! But I'm sure you're right about things like manners and even things like managing money. We know from Fails to Return that Biggles gave Ginger some fatherly advice and it must have been something that Biggles did more than once or Ginger would have immediately twigged that something was up.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Fairblue » 07 May 2013, 19:24

Jennifer wrote:Ginger would have gone to a very basic school in a mining village which would have had girls as well up to about fourteen years old.
I see Ginger as someone who would have bunked off school as often as possible, maybe to go to the cinema. He probably had an education in certain aspects of life that Biggles would not have approved of. Things like table manners more than likely never crossed his horizon until he met Biggles and Algy. I imagine then he was so anxious to please his hero he would emulate him as much as he could in his early years in Mount Street. :D
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby The Professor » 30 May 2013, 02:46

I can imagine Algy having a lot of fun in this regard :)
You poor prune!
The Professor
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: The Cruel Sea
Reading now: Biggles in Spain
Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: 'Gimlet' King
Aircraft: Short Sunderland

Return to Ginger