Ginger's age

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger's age

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 16 Apr 2014, 09:38

Yes, their expenses claims would have mde good reading to the accountants. "Plane squashed by rhino" ""Boots ruined by man-eating centipedes" "crashed over jungle and suit ruined" and so on
EFR
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Postby Inactive User 171 » 16 Apr 2014, 15:55

Yes in Biggles Takes It Rough he says he will have to claim for a new suit. I do not envy Ginger in Black Raider having to explain how he came to crash his plane - it seemed to be all his own fault :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2014, 16:50

Jenny wrote:Yes in Biggles Takes It Rough he says he will have to claim for a new suit.

Item One bespoke three piece Saville Row suit £3,160

Item One plain white Jermyn St shirt £155
Last edited by Kismet on 16 Apr 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2014, 16:57

Kismet wrote:
Jenny wrote:Yes in Biggles Takes It Rough he says he will have to claim for a new suit.

Item One bespoke three piece Saville Row suite £3,160

Item One plain white Jermyn St shirt £155

Suite? Green moquette, perhaps? 8-)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2014, 17:04

Bad language. I missed that and have now edited it. Definitely horsehair Fairblue.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2014, 17:11

If I'd spent that much on a shirt there's no way I'd use it as a bandage.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2014, 17:12

Kismet wrote:Bad language. I missed that and have now edited it. Definitely horsehair Fairblue.

:lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Purple Pigeon » 16 Apr 2014, 23:23

kylie_koyote wrote:
Would people have listened to him? He tends to get dismissed by those who don't know him. At their peril of course!

I'm not to sure about that. In Borneo he does end up temporarily leading a squadron - the Fulmars which he had the brass face to ask the Captain of the aircraft carrier for.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Inactive User 171 » 17 Apr 2014, 08:00

Yes the captain of the aircraft carrier certainly listened to him in Borneo. I think most people do listen to him. In the earlier books he was never afraid to take command of any situation - in Goes To War he gives a lot of advice to the Count and takes over the expedition when he is alone with Ludwig. Ginger also sometimes makes suggestions to Algy who then carries them through as he is a senior officer. Ginger also had a lot of suggestions to make to Bertie in Sweeps the Desert.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 17 Apr 2014, 08:34

Jenny wrote:Yes the captain of the aircraft carrier certainly listened to him in Borneo. I think most people do listen to him. In the earlier books he was never afraid to take command of any situation - in Goes To War he gives a lot of advice to the Count and takes over the expedition when he is alone with Ludwig. Ginger also sometimes makes suggestions to Algy who then carries them through as he is a senior officer. Ginger also had a lot of suggestions to make to Bertie in Sweeps the Desert.

We mustn't forget that war made men of boys too quickly. Ginger has already had to rely on his wits for survival and at the beginning of Spitfire Parade it says of Ginger: " but his air was alert and he carried himself in a way that suggested a degree of self-confidence hardly to be expected in one so young." Seasoned older officers were pretty good at summing up young men and Ginger's air of confidence would be there for him to see.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Inactive User 171 » 17 Apr 2014, 10:42

Ginger was fairly confident in Black Peril and Algy liked the way he walked and the way he held his head up before he had been in the Services. I think he always had an air of confidence when he wasn't in a panic :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Previous

Return to Ginger