Ginger fans

Section for Ginger discussions

Ginger fans

Postby Inactive User 171 » 08 Apr 2014, 11:16

What do you like most about Ginger and what is your favourite "Ginger" moment?

Funnily enough SA my answer is similar to yours with regard to Algy. The thing I like most about Ginger is that he loves Biggles so much and any part of the books told from Ginger's point of view are my favourite - as you say whatever I am reading at the time. It is no wonder be both feel so passionately about our favourite character;)
Inactive User 171
-

Re: Ginger fans

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Apr 2014, 11:33

My favorite is at the end of "fails to return" when he tells Bertie "oh go polish your eyeglass troubadour."

I also love in "defies the swastika" when he says. "Do you always land like that?"

I like Ginger for the humor and energy he brings to the story.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Inactive User 171 » 08 Apr 2014, 11:37

Yes I like those moments too. I always like it when things are really bad and he asks Biggles if he can see any way out of the situation and Biggles says frankly no and he does not complain about it at all.

Another of my favourite moments is in Another Job for Biggles when it says Ginger had been hoping all along that Biggles would do something to save them and then he realises that there is nothing he can do and so he gives up hope altogether but then of course they are both saved by Bertie :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 08 Apr 2014, 14:44

My favourite Ginger moment is probably in Takes a Hand where he looks forward to taking a pretty girl for a drive in the country, enjoys the experience, but actually barely talks to her. Ahhh.

The other is when he volunteers to dress up as a princess in Noble Lord.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Apr 2014, 15:31

Kismet wrote:My favourite Ginger moment is probably in Takes a Hand where he looks forward to taking a pretty girl for a drive in the country, enjoys the experience, but actually barely talks to her. Ahhh.

The other is when he volunteers to dress up as a princess in Noble Lord.

Or wanders off on a sunset stroll on the beach holding hands with Full Moon and ... nothing.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 171 » 08 Apr 2014, 15:41

Well Full Moon was a 15 year old child with Shell Breaker as her boyfriend. I think Ginger would have got into deep, deep trouble if he had tried to kiss a native girl in that era. it was just not done. He does love her though and wanted to give her a flower (which was poisonous) and also one of the pearls they found and at the end he did hate to leave her and Shell Breaker. I must admit he did not do much better with Jeanette though - he seems to have found it easier to be affectionate with Biggles which is a bit worrying :roll: :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Tommy Smith » 08 Apr 2014, 17:22

Didn't he burst into tears when they had to leave in 'South Seas?'.
I don't remember him being affectionate towards Biggles. Biggles woke up in Sweeps the desert with him flaked out beside him having just decked his Spitfire, but that's the sort of thing your pet dog would do.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Apr 2014, 18:20

Tommy Smith wrote:Didn't he burst into tears when they had to leave in 'South Seas?'.

He does! I think it's because "South Seas" is one of the rare stories where he has his own friends.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Purple Pigeon » 08 Apr 2014, 21:25

My favourite Ginger bits are when he says something blithe or brave and reckless and then Biggles and Algy exchange a glance and smile.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Apr 2014, 21:36

Purple Pigeon wrote:My favourite Ginger bits are when he says something blithe or brave and reckless and then Biggles and Algy exchange a glance and smile.

I kind of want Algy or Biggles to say "Aw, bless. Remember when he was little?"
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 171 » 09 Apr 2014, 07:59

I do not like you calling Ginger a pet dog :evil: Ginger is always getting into a panic when he thinks Biggles is in trouble and looking out for him and being really pleased to see him. He even worries about Biggles worrying about him and wishes he could relieve his anxiety and he was really upset in Another Job For Biggles when he was caught first and Biggles was caught looking for him. What greater love than to shoot your chief's potential executioners with a harpoon gun - he only missed Biggles by inches but the thought was there :oops: :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Tommy Smith » 09 Apr 2014, 08:35

Jenny wrote:I do not like you calling Ginger a pet dog :evil: Ginger is always getting into a panic when he thinks Biggles is in trouble and looking out for him and being really pleased to see him. He even worries about Biggles worrying about him and wishes he could relieve his anxiety and he was really upset in Another Job For Biggles when he was caught first and Biggles was caught looking for him. What greater love than to shoot your chief's potential executioners with a harpoon gun - he only missed Biggles by inches but the thought was there :oops: :lol:

I'm sorry Jenny, but what you've written here is exactly how my dog was! Apart from the harpoon.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 171 » 09 Apr 2014, 08:37

Well I would not like to see a dog with a harpoon - no smilie for that :lol: :lol:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Tracer » 09 Apr 2014, 09:48

kylie_koyote wrote:
Purple Pigeon wrote:My favourite Ginger bits are when he says something blithe or brave and reckless and then Biggles and Algy exchange a glance and smile.

I kind of want Algy or Biggles to say "Aw, bless. Remember when he was little?"

Yes, I enjoy these too.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Purple Pigeon » 09 Apr 2014, 10:21

I'm a bit confused about all this talk about Ginger always running around in a panic. Sure, he tends to do this when he thinks he's seen ghosts (or he finds himself in a tree with a corpse) or when he thinks Biggles is dead (and even that is only in & Co), but in a crisis we're more likely to see the some variation of the phrase "with commendable presence of mind Ginger ..."

It's also true that he often thinks "what would Biggles do?" but I wouldn't call considered reasoning panic.
Purple Pigeon
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Inactive User 171 » 09 Apr 2014, 11:31

Yes Ginger is quite a complex character. WEJ often writes from Ginger's point of view so we get to know him very well - much more than the other characters. Ginger is often afraid as he says to Henry in Spitfire Parade we are all scared we just pretend we are not but thanks to WEJ's writing we know when Ginger is scared because we see his every thought and feeling. Ginger does panic a couple of times particularly with ghosts and man eating wild animals but he is also very brave on other occasions.

While the others have very good "moments" and we are sometimes told what they feel about each other we know a great deal more about Ginger. On many occasions even when they are all together WEJ tells the stories from Ginger's point of view. In Baltic he is scared on his first bombing raid but he drops the bomb and hits the target and Biggles congratulates him.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Apr 2014, 15:29

Ginger, even as an adult, retains enough of his naivete that child-readers can identify with him and think "Yes, I'd be scared too!" where Biggles is expected to be brave and bold because... well, because he's Biggles.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 171 » 09 Apr 2014, 15:46

Yes I agree with you there KK - I would certainly be scared if I was chased by a decapod! I think Ginger was even more scared of what Biggles would say when he found out that the boat had gone. I think you are right about Biggles too - you could not have the actual hero scared all the time.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 09 Apr 2014, 15:49

:whatwould: is one of Ginger's more sensible thoughts. Making a prediction of Biggles's likely actions based on his knowledge of Biggles enables him to adapt his own behaviour and actions so they can be successful together. It doesn't mean he can't think for himself.

If a pick up goes pearshaped, then the kids think 'What would Mum do?' and that enables them to find me in short order (usually at the nearest Coffee Shop). Thinking what would my sister, my father, my headmaster do, would not help them find me as they would be making incorrect predictions about my behaviour.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Apr 2014, 15:51

Jenny wrote:Yes I agree with you there KK - I would certainly be scared if I was chased by a decapod! I think Ginger was even more scared of what Biggles would say when he found out that the boat had gone. I think you are right about Biggles too - you could not have the actual hero scared all the time.

Yes, and in "Sweeps the Desert" as he's tearing off after the Nazi who's just coshed Henry, he realizes belatedly that Biggles might have something not terribly nice to say about his choices. I love that scene.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Inactive User 171 » 09 Apr 2014, 16:02

I agree 100% with both those comments.

I always think it is a good thing for Ginger to think "what would Biggles do?" because apart from anything else whatever Biggles did would be the best thing to do in the circumstances.

Yes I love that scene in Sweeps the Desert when Ginger realizes he has behaved rather rashly but his motives were good - he wanted to shoot the Nazi down before he revealed the location of the Squadron to the enemy. The fact that he flew so far over towards the enemy base that he defeated his own object was rather unfortunate. I also love it when he realises he has shot Biggles down over the enemy base. I think Ginger always means well and sometimes his efforts are very successful.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Tommy Smith » 09 Apr 2014, 20:04

So he's shot him down and nearly harpooned him, anything else?
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Apr 2014, 20:07

Tommy Smith wrote:So he's shot him down and nearly harpooned him, anything else?

He steps on his face in "sweeps the desert " too - or is it the other way round?
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Lacey_266 » 09 Apr 2014, 20:57

He is my third favorite chap, after Bertie and ALGY!

I love his humor and how he tries to please Biggles.
~~Warplane Lover~~ //Fanfics are Cool!\\ [[Lacey 4 Ever!]]
Lacey_266
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Biggles of the Camel Squadron
Reading now: Biggles in Australia
Reading next: Biggles in...
My top chap: Algernon Montgomery Lacey
Aircraft: A380

Return to Ginger