Ginger's childhood home in Yorkshire

Section for Ginger discussions

Re: Ginger's childhood home in Yorkshire

Postby Frecks » 18 Sep 2018, 14:41

I am not sure what it would have cost in the early 1930s but it is between £50 and £100 now. How much does the uniform cost? I should think Mr. Hebblethwaite would have been able to buy the Scouts Uniform second hand in a jumble sale or perhaps the Scouts Association had a stock of second hand uniforms for sale.

The cost of joining the Scouts might have been different in different areas. I am sure the very lower working class Scout Troops would have done fewer activities than the upper class Troops. I hope Little A enjoys all the activities.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 18 Sep 2018, 15:05

Our Scouts used to let people pay weekly as well as per term. I think the overheads vary depending on how much rent the Scout group has to pay for the room / hut it meets in. A free room would lower their overheads and the yearly subscription.

Also, Scouts used to fundraise via initiatives such as 'bob a job' to obtain money to meet their costs.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tracer » 19 Sep 2018, 10:44

When my brother was in the Scouts in the early 1950s, boys in our area often just had one item of uniform, something very small in many cases. There just wasn't the money for full kit.

The bobs from bob-a-job went to charity, but I expect it was different in other areas.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 19 Sep 2018, 11:15

Over the years, 'bob-a-job' became one of the Scout Association's most familiar catchphrases, giving scouts a reputation for helpfulness and entrepreneurialism.

The scheme helped raise the profile of the organisation, with scouts getting publicity for taking on unusual jobs such as washing elephants at the zoo and scrubbing planes on the runway at Heathrow,

Bob-a-job was also an important source of funding for the scouts, with the symbolic bobs bringing in around £100,000 a year by the 1980s.

The cash was shared between scouting headquarters and regional divisions, providing funding for much-loved camping trips, scouting equipment and uniforms.

From an article in the Telegraph. I imagine Scouts did fund raise for local charities as well, though, Tracer. It's the sort of thing that the organisation approved of.

I have a vague memory that the only item of uniform that was compulsory was the neckerchief and woggle for poor scouts, but I think everyone had to have a full uniform if they paraded and I've no idea where I've got this idea from. Uniforms could be passed down several times, with the previous owners (or more likely their mothers) unpicking their badges to store in the sewing box before passing the shirts on.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Previous

Return to Ginger