Random facts

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: Random facts

Postby tiffinata » 19 Aug 2014, 22:33

Cold showers required, ladies.
They do small repairs on cars.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
User avatar
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 6046
Images: 244
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 12:02
Location: Melbourne
Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Re: Random facts

Postby Frecks » 20 Aug 2014, 08:09

Well that is disappointing :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4231
Images: 65
Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 19:14
Location: Morecambe, Lancashire
My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Re: Random facts

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 25 Aug 2014, 11:39

Time for another random fact. I've always thought a 'Furphy" or false rumour was a word coined in the U.K. But it seems Furphy's Patented Water Carts were invented in the late 1870s' in the State of Victoria in Australia by Mr. John Furphy, & later used in WW1 in many Australian military camps overseas...read on:

747

748
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
User avatar
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4705
Images: 292
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 10:15
Location: Brisbane. Australia.
Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Random facts

Postby El Shereef » 25 Aug 2014, 13:41

And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?
User avatar
El Shereef
Officer cadet
Officer cadet
 
Posts: 93
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 15:51
Location: Perth
Reading now: Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael mysteries
Reading next: Biggles Flies North
My top chap: Can I confess to EVS?

Re: Random facts

Postby Tommy Smith » 25 Aug 2014, 16:03

Low clouds such as stratus, one cubic kilometer (about 0.6 mile on each side) might weigh about 200,000 pounds.
Thin cirrus clouds typically weigh 10 to 100 times less
Strong cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) cloud could weigh 2 million pounds.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 3688
Images: 96
Joined: 23 Apr 2013, 07:56

Re: Random facts

Postby Frederique » 25 Aug 2014, 20:23

Oh, this thread! :shock:

El Shereef wrote:And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?
No, I didn't! What a wonderful man.
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
User avatar
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant
 
Posts: 1044
Images: 0
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:58

Re: Random facts

Postby Kismet » 25 Aug 2014, 21:13

El Shereef wrote:And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?



Why did he invent it? He must have had a reason.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
User avatar
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal
 
Posts: 25633
Images: 112
Joined: 28 Aug 2013, 21:10
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: Random facts

Postby Fairblue » 25 Aug 2014, 21:14

Kismet wrote:
El Shereef wrote:And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?



Why did he invent it? He must have had a reason.

A very good question, Kismet. Maybe he had a pet cat and was fed up getting up in the night to let it in or out.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
User avatar
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal
 
Posts: 29236
Images: 119
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 11:05
Location: Arbroath, Scotland
Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Aug 2014, 21:15

That seems likely.

We have a cat-door with no cat. The previous owners had one. Adrian likes to try to climb through it. He has yet to succeed.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Fairblue » 25 Aug 2014, 21:19

Kismet wrote:
El Shereef wrote:And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?



Why did he invent it? He must have had a reason.


Here's one readon, Kismet.
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/feat ... php?ssid=3
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
User avatar
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal
 
Posts: 29236
Images: 119
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 11:05
Location: Arbroath, Scotland
Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Kismet » 25 Aug 2014, 21:27

I see Isaac Newton was a cat person. Only a cat lover would repeatedly stop what they were doing to open a door for a cat.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
User avatar
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal
 
Posts: 25633
Images: 112
Joined: 28 Aug 2013, 21:10
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Aug 2014, 21:30

Kismet wrote:I see Isaac Newton was a cat person. Only a cat lover would repeatedly stop what they were doing to open a door for a cat.


I like the part where he cut different doors for the kittens, assuming that each would want its own door. :lol: :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Fairblue » 25 Aug 2014, 21:31

I love the fact that someone who gave us the theory of Law of Gravity felt the need to have one hole for each cat. :lol: (If the story is to be believed, that is.)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
User avatar
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal
 
Posts: 29236
Images: 119
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 11:05
Location: Arbroath, Scotland
Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Kismet » 25 Aug 2014, 21:37

I wonder if he then tried to train them to use their own doors rather than sharing.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
User avatar
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal
 
Posts: 25633
Images: 112
Joined: 28 Aug 2013, 21:10
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Aug 2014, 21:38

Kismet wrote:I wonder if he then tried to train them to use their own doors rather than sharing.


Good luck with that, Sir Isaac.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Fairblue » 25 Aug 2014, 21:42

Kismet wrote:
El Shereef wrote:And here is another random fact. Did you know Isaac Newton invented the cat flap?



Why did he invent it? He must have had a reason.


Fairblue wrote:Here's one reason, Kismet.
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/feat ... php?ssid=3

And here's a link that debunks the one above.

http://io9.com/the-legend-of-isaac-newt ... -511737218
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
User avatar
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal
 
Posts: 29236
Images: 119
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 11:05
Location: Arbroath, Scotland
Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Aug 2014, 21:45

Oh, bummer. :roll: There goes that fun speculation. :lol: :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Aug 2014, 00:42

kylie_koyote wrote:Oh, bummer. :roll: There goes that fun speculation. :lol: :lol:


Bazinga!! We'll have to get Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to research the veracity of this...'fact' or myth? Lol
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
User avatar
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4705
Images: 292
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 10:15
Location: Brisbane. Australia.
Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Random facts

Postby Frederique » 31 Aug 2014, 16:32

My general reaction to this thread: :roll:

However, I just read somewhere that the word "crisp", when you say it, travels from the back to the front of your mouth (and I instantly thought of this thread).

I would like to add to that my own fact: you just tried it. ;)
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
User avatar
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant
 
Posts: 1044
Images: 0
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:58

Re: Random facts

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Oct 2014, 06:02

"To err is human, but to arr is pirate"...it's only funny if you say it aloud though, lol.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
User avatar
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4705
Images: 292
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 10:15
Location: Brisbane. Australia.
Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 04 Oct 2014, 12:31

Haha I think that's really funny.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Oct 2014, 12:50

I saw it on a big billboard driving home yesterday, must be 'international pirate week or something, lol.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
User avatar
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4705
Images: 292
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 10:15
Location: Brisbane. Australia.
Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Random facts

Postby kylie_koyote » 04 Oct 2014, 12:52

OzBiggles1963 wrote:I saw it on a big billboard driving home yesterday, must be 'international pirate week or something, lol.


Talk Like A Pirate Day is Sept. 19th. :lol: :lol: Arrr.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
User avatar
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore
 
Posts: 11991
Images: 456
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 19:32
Location: Northeast USA
Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Random facts

Postby Kismet » 04 Oct 2014, 12:58

kylie_koyote wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:I saw it on a big billboard driving home yesterday, must be 'international pirate week or something, lol.


Talk Like A Pirate Day is Sept. 19th. :lol: :lol: Arrr.



Talk like a Pirate Day? Really? Do you get to dress up too?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
User avatar
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal
 
Posts: 25633
Images: 112
Joined: 28 Aug 2013, 21:10
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: Random facts

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Oct 2014, 13:08

kylie_koyote wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:I saw it on a big billboard driving home yesterday, must be 'international pirate week or something, lol.


Talk Like A Pirate Day is Sept. 19th. :lol: :lol: Arrr.


Hahaha! I must have missed it, but my favourite pirate poster of all time [very similar to one we have here already, lol] has to be this one:

832
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
User avatar
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 4705
Images: 292
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 10:15
Location: Brisbane. Australia.
Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Re: Random facts

Postby Tracer » 04 Oct 2014, 13:24

I DO like that! :lol:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: 12 Dec 2013, 19:59

Re: Random facts

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 Oct 2014, 18:15

Er, they all talk like that round here anyway.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 3688
Images: 96
Joined: 23 Apr 2013, 07:56

Re: Random facts

Postby SaintedAunt » 04 Oct 2014, 18:28

:lol: :clap:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
User avatar
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 5088
Images: 69
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 17:35
Location: East Suffolk Coastal
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Re: Random facts

Postby Tommy Smith » 04 Oct 2014, 18:36

I'll see if I can get the media girl at work to flag it up on our Government twitfacethingy site. I'll get Brownie points for that.
Damn, its October.

Maybe we should have a Biggles Aviation Day.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander
 
Posts: 3688
Images: 96
Joined: 23 Apr 2013, 07:56

Re: Random facts

Postby Fairblue » 04 Oct 2014, 18:46

:lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
User avatar
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal
 
Posts: 29236
Images: 119
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 11:05
Location: Arbroath, Scotland
Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron