RAAF Airshow march 1-2 2014

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

RAAF Airshow march 1-2 2014

Postby tiffinata » 16 Feb 2014, 06:11

http://www.airforce.gov.au/Interact/Dis ... dc+u6Ro5VF

The list of aircraft reads like a 'who's who' of Biggles books.

Am tempted.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Re: RAAF Airshow march 1-2 2014

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 07:10

tiffinata wrote:http://www.airforce.gov.au/Interact/Displays/Air-Shows/?RAAF-iBBIZGwstZ874cZM/cfL/Idc+u6Ro5VF The list of aircraft reads like a 'who's who' of Biggles books.
Am tempted.

Wow, thanks for link, sounds like a massive event! Just wish I could go, the planes involved will be an awesome spectacle.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Feb 2014, 07:14

tiffinata wrote:http://www.airforce.gov.au/Interact/Displays/Air-Shows/?RAAF-iBBIZGwstZ874cZM/cfL/Idc+u6Ro5VF

The list of aircraft reads like a 'who's who' of Biggles books.

Am tempted.

I have been absolutely drooling over this for the past couple of months. I have another commitment that weekend or Mr RSG & I would have been going down to it. And you live in Melbs, tiff... go! Go! Go! (The only downside will be the fact that there's only the one road into Pt Cook...I can imagine the traffic backed up along the Geelong Highway to the Westgate Bridge :D ). But for an event like this, I think I could live with that :thumbsup2:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Feb 2014, 07:21

P.S. While I am not certain if the 'Emu Gully' [near Helidon, 40mins drive west of Brisbane] Air & Land Spectacular is on in 2014, the event in May 2013 which we attended had many attractions, land battle recreations, & of course tanks & flyovers. Youtube has a summary of some of these events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... urT8#t=202
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Feb 2014, 14:32

Jealous!! All of our air shows the past couple years have been cancelled due to insufficient funds. We went to a great one in Portsmouth, NH in 2011.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby tiffinata » 17 Feb 2014, 00:30

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote: I have been absolutely drooling over this for the past couple of months. I have another commitment that weekend or Mr RSG & I would have been going down to it. And you live in Melbs, tiff... go! Go! Go! (The only downside will be the fact that there's only the one road into Pt Cook...I can imagine the traffic backed up along the Geelong Highway to the Westgate Bridge :D ). But for an event like this, I think I could live with that :thumbsup2:

Public transport is built into the tickets, so I have been told. And a shuttle bus runs from the station.
Just told my husband I'd like to go. He :roll: 'the kids won't like the noise".
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby johnfromoz » 17 Feb 2014, 10:02

Hey, where do they get off, classing aircraft I grew up with as "historical"? :(
johnfromoz
Officer cadet
Officer cadet

Postby tiffinata » 01 Mar 2014, 03:30

Have just watched a spitfire fly past. One of only two in Australia. The roulettes were fabulous. I have killed one camera, thesecond is playing up so I might be left with a mobile phone.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 01 Mar 2014, 03:56

Awesome!!!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 01 Mar 2014, 07:09

tiffinata wrote:Have just watched a spitfire fly past. One of only two in Australia. The roulettes were fabulous. I have killed one camera, thesecond is playing up so I might be left with a mobile phone.

Excellent! Don't you just love modern technology [i.e. camera] & their wondrous 'ability' to break down at the most important events?! :doh:
Enjoy....
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 01 Mar 2014, 08:13

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
tiffinata wrote:Have just watched a spitfire fly past. One of only two in Australia. The roulettes were fabulous. I have killed one camera, thesecond is playing up so I might be left with a mobile phone.

Excellent! Don't you just love modern technology [i.e. camera] & their wondrous 'ability' to break down at the most important events?! :doh:
Enjoy....

I thought that was obligatory OzB. :geek:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 03 Mar 2014, 06:41

tiffinata wrote:Have just watched a spitfire fly past. One of only two in Australia.

I'm definitely green :mrgreen: I'm really voting that we have a get together at Temora next year some time - pushing for the November Open Day :D
tiffinata wrote:The roulettes were fabulous.

They are amazing. Love them!! We once caught them practicing outside Brisbane when we were just driving along an outer suburban road through acreage properties - and there they were, practicing for a show in SE Qld. But we didn't have cameras - and neither of our mobile phones had cameras in those days, either :cryblue:
tiffinata wrote:I have killed one camera, thesecond is playing up so I might be left with a mobile phone.

Sounds like S666 and me at Duxford a couple of years ago... :roll:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 03 Mar 2014, 13:00

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
tiffinata wrote:Have just watched a spitfire fly past. One of only two in Australia.

I'm definitely green :mrgreen: I'm really voting that we have a get together at Temora next year some time - pushing for the November Open Day :D
tiffinata wrote:The roulettes were fabulous.

I second that! I am free in November '15....& I'm sure Mrs. OzB would love to fly down. :D
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 04 Mar 2014, 03:57

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:I'm definitely green :mrgreen: I'm really voting that we have a get together at Temora next year some time - pushing for the November Open Day :D

I second that! I am free in November '15....& I'm sure Mrs. OzB would love to fly down. :D

I'm going to recommend to Mr RSG that we put Temora - November 15 in our diaries. Can you make that date, Tiffinata? We should start canvassing the other Aussie Biggles O'Maniacs, OzB. Temora generally have that particular Open Day the first weekend in November - but we wouldn't be able to confirm it until they finalise their 2015 calendar, of course.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 04 Mar 2014, 07:53

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:...I second that! I am free in November '15....& I'm sure Mrs. OzB would love to fly down. :D
I'm going to recommend to Mr RSG that we put Temora - November 15 in our diaries. Can you make that date, Tiffinata? We should start canvassing the other Aussie Biggles O'Maniacs, OzB. Temora generally have that particular Open Day the first weekend in November - but we wouldn't be able to confirm it until they finalise their 2015 calendar, of course.

Sounds like a plan. I will have to do some web research & see what is nearby as far as accommodation etc goes. Maybe even 'car pool' if possible and/or cost effective? Closer to time post details on 'Events' page? I think it will also give the New South Welshmen, Victorians & others Biggles fans further west [?] an opportunity to attend, rather then us Q'landers having all the fun up here, lol. :D :mrgreen:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 04 Mar 2014, 11:17

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Sounds like S666 and me at Duxford a couple of years ago... :roll:

I thought that, too. We had been photographing everything in sight for hours. I seem to remember that just as the Spitfire display started one of us ran out of memory and the other one ran out of battery? And afterwards you remembered you could have used your 'phone... :cry:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 04 Mar 2014, 13:14

Spitfire666 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Sounds like S666 and me at Duxford a couple of years ago... :roll:

I thought that, too. We had been photographing everything in sight for hours. I seem to remember that just as the Spitfire display started one of us ran out of memory and the other one ran out of battery? And afterwards you remembered you could have used your 'phone... :cry:

Yes, that's exactly how it was, sob :cryblue:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 05 Mar 2014, 04:17

I'm going to recommend to Mr RSG that we put Temora - November 15 in our diaries. Can you make that date, Tiffinata? We should start canvassing the other Aussie Biggles O'Maniacs, OzB. Temora generally have that particular Open Day the first weekend in November - but we wouldn't be able to confirm it until they finalise their 2015 calendar, of course.[/quote]

not that far from us really. I reckon the family would have to come to this one.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 Mar 2015, 11:01

tiffinata wrote:I'm going to recommend to Mr RSG that we put Temora - November 15 in our diaries. Can you make that date, Tiffinata? We should start canvassing the other Aussie Biggles O'Maniacs, OzB. Temora generally have that particular Open Day the first weekend in November - but we wouldn't be able to confirm it until they finalise their 2015 calendar, of course.

It's been over a year since we've discussed this, but it looks like the open day, as per their website, is now set for 21-11-15. Some discussions will ensue over the coming mths to see if Mrs OzB is interested, lol. Anybody else still have this event on their radar for late 2015? [We have friends in Canberra, so may fly down there initially]:

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/index.html
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 13 Mar 2015, 11:31

I was told they expect over 10,000 people for it. It would be wonderful.
Accommodation might be difficult, but I recommend the Junee motel for a comfortable bed, right next to the RSL. About an hour from Temora.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 13 Mar 2015, 14:08

tiffinata wrote:I was told they expect over 10,000 people for it. It would be wonderful.
Accommodation might be difficult, but I recommend the Junee motel for a comfortable bed, right next to the RSL. About an hour from Temora.

Okey dokey...I might have to visit Wotif.com tomorrow & get in early before the mad rush, lol. :claphappy:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Return to Pilots Mess