Weather

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: Weather

Postby Fairblue » 31 Mar 2018, 10:10

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:We had something very similar happen years ago, Tiff. The day our house came on the market a tile fell from the roof and the rain poured into the back bedroom.
A couple of years ago in Weymouth an artist I know had their house open as an art exhibition and a storm leaked rain onto the meter the night before and the whole house was too dark and cold to be opened. These things happen. (gritted teeth)

They certainly do. Three days before RSG and Mr RSG visited we had an absolute howler of a rainstorm. Unknown to us at the time, the gutter above the flat next door was blocked and it directed the rain towards us. Water started to run down our bedroom wall. Timing is everything .
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tommy Smith » 31 Mar 2018, 11:48

Somewhat spooky timing.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 31 Mar 2018, 16:46

Freezing today. Grey skies, cold blustery wind. The weather forecast claims the temperature is above freezing but it doesn't feel it.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tommy Smith » 31 Mar 2018, 17:34

Yup. Dismal. Back to staring at fish.
I think we have passed some sort of rainfall record recently.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby id_ten_it » 31 Mar 2018, 20:37

It sounds like the northern hemisphere is having a nasty time!

For once it isn't actually raining here at Easter and I'm rather wishing I'd braved the wind and packed up for a four day hike. Usually it tosses down and isn't worth the hassle. Too late now of course!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Poems by the Anzacs
Reading now: Hidden Figures
My top chap: Sir Keith Park
Aircraft: TSR-2

Postby kylie_koyote » 01 Apr 2018, 02:36

We had a gorgeous day. My friend came with a chainsaw and made quick work of the downed trees and limbs in the yard. Hooray.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby tiffinata » 01 Apr 2018, 08:13

It was a lovely day for the second open for inspection. Same result- one developer. I need to tell myself that the place will sell.
Weather today the same. We went out for ice cream.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 01 Apr 2018, 08:16

Weather not too bad here today but tomorrow heavy rain is forecast for the whole day :(

Your garden must look a lot better now KK. I hope you have a good Easter break.

Are you hoping to sell to a private buyer Tiff?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 01 Apr 2018, 08:26

Auction.
I'm relying on the expertise and advice of my estate agent.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Kismet » 01 Apr 2018, 11:01

Good luck with the sale, Tiff.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 01 Apr 2018, 22:29

tiffinata wrote:Auction.

Good luck, tiff. My sister-in-law's house down near your neck of the woods sold at auction last week, so hoping all goes well for you.

Weather-wise, Brisbane's enjoyed some decent sunshine over Easter - warm and humid with all the rain still hanging around - our surfing beaches have been closed on both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts because of the effects of ex-cyclone Iris which is still wandering around off the Central Qld coast trying to decide whether to re-form as a cyclone or remain a tropical low. Either way, the poor folk up north are doing it tough, they've had an incredible amount of rain over the past few weeks and the ground can't soak it up any more, so more floods are likely.
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on 02 Apr 2018, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Kismet » 01 Apr 2018, 22:54

That sounds worrying, rsg. Here's hoping that they don't flood.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 02 Apr 2018, 01:58

Old Man Winter isn’t quite ready to surrender to Spring. We are due to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow. Sigh.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 02 Apr 2018, 08:17

We are having a mixture of snow, sleet and rain today but then it is due to get a bit milder. It has really been a very long winter this year.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 02 Apr 2018, 08:53

Don't know if it works the same as here, but I hope you have a reserve on it.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 02 Apr 2018, 09:12

Spitfire666 wrote:

Don't know if it works the same as here, but I hope you have a reserve on it.

Good luck with it, Andrea. All you need are two people wanting to buy it to start a bidding war.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 02 Apr 2018, 11:47

Kismet wrote:May they bring you much joy! Daughter number 2 had a couple of goldfish for a few years which she kept in a tank in the bathroom. I rather liked them, as did the then cat, who used to sit in the sink to watch them swim about.

If you ever have the urge to do it again check out Aquascaping and planted tanks that self clean courtesy of terrestrial plant roots growing in the top.

Wait... is that... could that be.. a patch of almost weak sunlight I see ?
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby CaptWilks » 04 Apr 2018, 06:46

Well, a headline today...

Sweltering Darwin heat the result of its highest April dew point in 60 years

Let's get some details!

On Wednesday morning the dew point, a quantitative measure of how much moisture is in the air, was the highest recorded in April for 60 years. Why this makes a number of people sweat comes down to a scale used to gauge discomfort, according to the Bureau of Meteorology's Peter Claassen. "So we have this very scientific device that we use called the sweatometer, and that shows us different ranges in which it feels a bit sweaty," he told ABC Radio Darwin's Kate O'Toole.

"A dew point of 19 to 22 is sweaty, 22 to 24 is very sweaty, and 24 plus is oppressive." Measured in degrees Celsius, Wednesday morning's dew point peaked at 27.2 — a figure Mr Claassen described as "off the charts". "It's the highest we've seen in April since 1958, and it actually led to a 'feels-like' temperature of 36 degrees at 8:30am, which is out of control."

36! Spare me! That's just a bit warm.

It's not an April Fool's Day thing; it is a slow news day.
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: Bertie

Postby id_ten_it » 04 Apr 2018, 06:52

CaptWilks wrote:Well, a headline today...

Let's get some details!

On Wednesday morning the dew point, a quantitative measure of how much moisture is in the air, was the highest recorded in April for 60 years. Why this makes a number of people sweat comes down to a scale used to gauge discomfort, according to the Bureau of Meteorology's Peter Claassen. "So we have this very scientific device that we use called the sweatometer, and that shows us different ranges in which it feels a bit sweaty," he told ABC Radio Darwin's Kate O'Toole.

"A dew point of 19 to 22 is sweaty, 22 to 24 is very sweaty, and 24 plus is oppressive." Measured in degrees Celsius, Wednesday morning's dew point peaked at 27.2 — a figure Mr Claassen described as "off the charts". "It's the highest we've seen in April since 1958, and it actually led to a 'feels-like' temperature of 36 degrees at 8:30am, which is out of control."

That is a very high dew point! I bet there's a few nervous pilots out there. :shock: This is why PITCH BLACK is later in the year, right? ;)

36 at 8.30 is perfectly acceptable provided it is not humid.
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby CaptWilks » 04 Apr 2018, 07:31

id_ten_it wrote:
CaptWilks wrote:Well, a headline today...

That is a very high dew point! I bet there's a few nervous pilots out there. :shock: This is why PITCH BLACK is later in the year, right? ;)

36 at 8.30 is perfectly acceptable provided it is not humid.

It is early April, which here is the tail end of the Wet Season: this period is sometimes referred to as the "build down" (in contrast to the "build up" to the Wet).

I assume Pitch Black is held in July because the period June to August has the lowest chance of rain and, therefore, of storms and cloud. Aside from the wind, which tends to be higher May to July, it's probably the best flying conditions in the year. Mean rainfall for July is 1.1 mm; for January, it is 430 mm. (Down a bit this year, only 412 mm.)
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby id_ten_it » 04 Apr 2018, 08:08

Yes that's what I've always heard too - and also (now it's international) the middle of the year is a great time for other nations to be free.

PITCH BLACK started out as a jet air-to-air interdiction exercise, if my research is correct, so I'm not entirely sure wind would play a massive role in planning considerations?

only 412mm eh? Gracious me. Truly tropical!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Tommy Smith » 09 Apr 2018, 18:07

aaaand they have just spoken the immortal words 'And tomorrow will be another wet day for everyone'.
:doh: :smoking: :smoking2: More? More??
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 09 Apr 2018, 19:16

Yes I heard that too. We have had a couple of fine days and I managed to do a bit of gardening this morning although the ground is still very wet - more like mud than soil :?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Apr 2018, 19:22

Not a cloud in the sky here - but incredibly cold and windy. Everyone is complaining that it's supposed to be spring.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 09 Apr 2018, 19:56

Very overcast here. Not spring like at all.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 09 Apr 2018, 20:05

Beautiful in the sun this afternoon, although the temperature is dropping now. I went out in a heavy jumper rather than a coat. I can't believe that I still have the heating on. I've usually switched it off by now.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby id_ten_it » 10 Apr 2018, 03:46

My new home is reminding me that I live somewhere semi-tropical now - we've had pouring rain, bright sunshine, strong winds, and a proper thunderstorm (though sadly no exciting forked lightening, just the normal stuff). All that in less than 12 hours, and whilst trying to get the boxes in from where the movers left them to some form of shelter.
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby CaptWilks » 10 Apr 2018, 06:59

id_ten_it wrote:Yes that's what I've always heard too - and also (now it's international) the middle of the year is a great time for other nations to be free.

PITCH BLACK started out as a jet air-to-air interdiction exercise, if my research is correct, so I'm not entirely sure wind would play a massive role in planning considerations?

I was not suggesting that the wind was likely to be an issue; it was more of a general weather comment.

For a trainee pilot in a small plane it can be a bit tricky, until you get the hang of flying sideways until touchdown. (Ran out of money -- there were other factors -- and never got my licence.)
CaptWilks
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby id_ten_it » 10 Apr 2018, 12:21

CaptWilks wrote:
id_ten_it wrote:Yes that's what I've always heard too - and also (now it's international) the middle of the year is a great time for other nations to be free.

I was not suggesting that the wind was likely to be an issue; it was more of a general weather comment.

For a trainee pilot in a small plane it can be a bit tricky, until you get the hang of flying sideways until touchdown. (Ran out of money -- there were other factors -- and never got my licence.)

Ah right, my mistake.

That's a shame. I'm oddly fond of cross wind landings - I blame growing up in one of the windiest cities in the country and never experiencing anything else. I hope you'll be able to gt back into flying at some stage.
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Spitfire666 » 10 Apr 2018, 19:06

id_ten_it wrote: I hope you'll be able to gt back into flying at some stage.

I hope so too, CaptWilks; a real shame if you have to give up.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess