Weather

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Weather

Postby Tommy Smith » 31 Jan 2014, 15:23

Has anybody out there actually got normal weather at the moment?

It has been raining, usually with strong to gale force winds, for a good few months here UK, although very mild no frost at all as such.

It was/still is unusually hot(?) in parts of Oz, and there have been some interesting shots of very low temperatures in the US.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Re: Weather

Postby Kismet » 31 Jan 2014, 15:52

We've had a slightly warmer than usual winter (North West England) - all my plants are showing signs of life so today's sleet and snow was really welcome. We've had some dramatically, once or twice in a century, high tides this month, but I live in an area where there is weather rather than climate, so there isn't a norm. Except rain. It rains a lot here.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby SaintedAunt » 31 Jan 2014, 15:55

On the BBC news channel at lunch time, they were saying some homes in Somerset have been flooded for a month !!! And they are about to get flooded again. And in some places in Wales where they have been repairing the storm damage of a month ago, and haven't finished, they have been told that not only will it be as bad this time, but could even be worse. In Somerset, they are building roads out of bundles of tyres to raise the road above the Somerset Levels current flood level - just so people can get along what is normally a road. One village has been served by boat only for a month and more misery to come.

And, on the other side of the world, I watched a programme about coffee production in Vietnam, which has rescued many people out of poverty. Now with climate change they are looking at crop failures on a large scale (increased hurricanes I think).

If the position of the jet stream causing all these catastrophes is due to global warming, heaven help us - worldwide.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby kylie_koyote » 31 Jan 2014, 16:22

Mine is about average but that doesn't stop it being miserably cold and grey.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Fairblue » 31 Jan 2014, 21:46

Wet and grey in Dundee on the East coast of Scotland but not cold - just miserable. We took a day trip to the West Coast on Monday and we had clear skies and sun.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby The Professor » 31 Jan 2014, 21:55

Is it just me, or do we read a bit much into weather nowadays? I mean, humans have been writing about big scary weathery things since they first put off going to hunt mammoths because it was wet out. Half the Bible is about people complaining about weather, after all.
You poor prune!
The Professor
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: The Cruel Sea
Reading now: Biggles in Spain
Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: 'Gimlet' King
Aircraft: Short Sunderland

Postby SaintedAunt » 31 Jan 2014, 22:32

The Professor wrote:Is it just me, or do we read a bit much into weather nowadays? I mean, humans have been writing about big scary weathery things since they first put off going to hunt mammoths because it was wet out. Half the Bible is about people complaining about weather, after all.

No we don't. The trends are there if you look at the scientific evidence. And it's nothing to be surprised at - the climate changes already being observed are consistent with climatic modelling of a warming world atmosphere. In fact, in the UK we are relatively less affected so far than some other parts of the world.

Fundamentally, the world's weather systems are driven by two things: the temperature difference between the poles and the equator (which creates pressure differences) and the fact that the world rotates about its axis. Alter the temperature differences and you alter the pressure systems - which is exactly what is happening.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened before, nor am I mentioning causes. Just that is it happening. In the UK: don't live on a river flood plain, don't live on reclaimed marshland and don't live too close to the sea! It's simple geography.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 31 Jan 2014, 23:13

Various parts of Australia have been setting all sorts of heat-related records over the last couple of years. About 3 weeks ago the city I live in had the highest temperature ever recorded here - 37.1C, which isn't actually that hot compared to a lot of places, but we're up on the tablelands in an area known as New England.
But according to our beloved prime minister, climate change is 'crap', he's abolished the Climate Change Commission and has no minister for science in his government. Must mean we'll all be ok, then. :roll:
Sizzling Sausages
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: Keith Richards - Life

Postby von Zoyton » 01 Feb 2014, 01:09

in the jungle in indonesia same as always, hot, humid, raining a lot
von Zoyton
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 01 Feb 2014, 01:39

Sizzling Sausages wrote:Various parts of Australia have been setting all sorts of heat-related records over the last couple of years. About 3 weeks ago the city I live in had the highest temperature ever recorded here - 37.1C, which isn't actually that hot compared to a lot of places, but we're up on the tablelands in an area known as New England. But according to our beloved prime minister, climate change is 'crap', he's abolished the Climate Change Commission and has no minister for science in his government. Must mean we'll all be ok, then. :roll:

Back to cloudy & reasonable temperatures here In Brisbane, although was 41C in early January [& late Dec] in our neck of the woods...1 yr & 3 yrs ago we were having major floods at the same time of the year. Reminds me of my favourite poem I read in high school by by P.J. Hartigan called 'Said Hanrahan':

"We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan
In accents most forlorn
Outside the church ere Mass began
One frosty Sunday morn.

The congregation stood about,
Coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock and crops and drought
As it had done for years.

"It’s lookin’ crook," said Daniel Croke;
"Bedad, it’s cruke, me lad
For never since the banks went broke
Has seasons been so bad."

"It’s dry, all right," said young O’Neil,
With which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel
And chewed a piece of bark.

And so around the chorus ran
"It’s keepin’ dry, no doubt."
"We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out.

"The crops are done; ye’ll have your work
To save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-O’-Bourke
They’re singin’ out for rain.

"They’re singin’ out for rain," he said,
"And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head,
And gazed around the sky.

"There won’t be grass, in any case,
Enough to feed an ass;
There’s not a blade on Casey’s place
As I came down to Mass."

"If rain don’t come this month," said Dan,
And cleared his throat to speak –
"We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "
If rain don’t come this week."

A heavy silence seemed to steal
On all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed a piece of bark.

"We want an inch of rain, we do,"
O’Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two
To put the danger past.
"If we don’t get three inches, man,
Or four to break this drought,
We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

In God’s good time down came the rain;
And all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane
It drummed a homely tune.

And through the night it pattered still,
And lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill
Kept talking to themselves.

It pelted, pelted all day long,
A-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song
Way out to Back-O’-Bourke.

And every creek a banker ran,
And dams filled overtop;
"We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"If this rain doesn’t stop."

And stop it did, in God’s good time:
And spring came in to fold
A mantle o’er the hills sublime
Of green and pink and gold.

And days went by on dancing feet,
With harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat
Nid-nodding o’er the fence.

And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey’s place
Went riding down to Mass.

While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.

"There’ll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby tiffinata » 01 Feb 2014, 09:17

While I love Australia there are times I find myself cringing at the attitude of our PM. And because 'climate change is crap' funding gets withdrawn from environmental projects, which help encourage people to do the right thing environmentally. Maybe this will be a one-term government?
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Tommy Smith » 01 Feb 2014, 09:30

Well I'm not in Oz but from here I find your attitude and sense of humour most refreshing although I don't know much about what's going on there politically.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 01 Feb 2014, 10:10

We are supposed to believe in climate change in Europe but when it comes to giving up something to make things better, or doing something differently which might cost money, nobody wants to…
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 01 Feb 2014, 11:09

Especially as the climate will change whatever, there was no ice on the planet at all when the dinosaurs were about. (I'm jolly glad I went to the trouble to reproof my old Drizabone last summer, it really is good).

The Prof must be a very happy chap as I seem to recall he likes the mud :D
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 01 Feb 2014, 11:26

Tommy Smith wrote:Well I'm not in Oz but from here I find your attitude and sense of humour most refreshing although I don't know much about what's going on there politically.

Me. Too. Environmental issues are rammed down our throats so much I want to switch off. Take recycling. In France it is easy. You put all your recycled stuff apart from glass and metal into one bag (which the commune supplies in unlimited quantities.) It is picked up once a fortnight and no limit on the number of bags. Because it's so easy everyone does it. Here' depending on where you live, you get boxes for this and boxes for that. Nine times out of ten you a) have no room to put the boxes and b) they always seem too small for the amount you've got. And then they go on about how we don't recycle as much as our continental friends. Ok, rant over, back to the weather.
I'm in Nottingham just now where there!s no rain no flooding and the sun is trying to peep through. :D
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 01 Feb 2014, 13:27

South coast UK. Very very wet, lots of standing water, some roads closed, a few trees lying down. Currently bright and wind's getting up.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Kismet » 01 Feb 2014, 13:32

Windy, overcast, wet, not properly light. Typical Cumbrian winter's day, unfortunately.

I caught the tag end of a radio programme the other day which suggested food prices were coming down because there had been good harvests this year.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime

Postby archie » 01 Feb 2014, 23:05

Northumberland: wet, cold and windy. Fortunately finished work before I was actually blown away, although I did almost lose my new hat at one point. :roll:
archie
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: That would be favouritism...

Postby Fairblue » 01 Feb 2014, 23:19

We'll be making our way back up to Scotland tomorrow. Not yet decided whether to go up the east coast or the west coast. Depends on the weather forecast tomorrow morning.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby The Professor » 02 Feb 2014, 01:03

An interesting fact; the world's first weather map was printed in The Times in 1861, by Captain FitzRoy of Charles Darwin fame. It was 100% accurate and read as follows:

North—Moderate westerly wind ; fine.
West—Moderate south-westerly ; fine.
South—Fresh westerly ; fine.
You poor prune!
The Professor
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: The Cruel Sea
Reading now: Biggles in Spain
Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: 'Gimlet' King
Aircraft: Short Sunderland

Postby SaintedAunt » 05 Feb 2014, 16:34

You wouldn't think the weather could get any worse but it just did, and more to come. Worst in southern England and the Channel, from the Scilly Isles and Cornwall to as far south as the Channel Islands. Severe storm force winds and gusts in some places in excess of 90mph, and having experienced that in the IoM I know how frightening it is.

The sea has even washed away parts of the main rail line in Devon and undermined nearby houses. No trains to Cornwall for 6 weeks or longer, and that's if the gales stop, and the sea ceases battering everything... Worst of all is that there is no sign of any respite in the weather according to the forward forecasts. You just hope they are wrong. The jet stream can do a sudden change very unexpectedly. No doubt it if does, we will get arctic weather here on the east coast!

This winter's weather must be costing the UK billions.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Feb 2014, 16:38

Stay safe! I'm snowed in today. 8 inches on the ground and more falling steadily. Schools and offices closed today.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 05 Feb 2014, 17:16

At the moment we're okay. It's grey and miserable, but that's a about it. We can put up with that. It's the poor souls in the thick of it who I feel sorry for.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Tracer » 05 Feb 2014, 19:11

Blowing a hooley here and heavy rain forecast.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby tiffinata » 05 Feb 2014, 20:18

And another run here of hot weather. 35 today. Hotter tomorrow. Saturday 40 with an overnight low of 30. And no rain. The bush is dry as chips. All we need is a northerly wind and some idiot with a match...
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Tracer » 05 Feb 2014, 20:58

Wish I could send you some water. We've got loads :?
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 05 Feb 2014, 21:01

The wind really hammered the house last night, didn't sleep a wink. Midday I was wading through flood water in torrential rain to get a horse who'd had enough into the stable, at work they're appealing for volunteers over the next five days and the real storm won't turn up until Friday night. The railway line is swinging around in the gale like a rope bridge in some jungle.
It's been raining since December 3rd. My heart went out to the Somerset farmer who has 500 cattle and is desperately trying to build banks around the farm to keep the water out.

I suppose when I started this threat it was because now the way the weather is you have be on your toes and aware of what's going on and what your options are.

Its not that bad, very mild, just going on for a while. If I could package it up I'd send you some Tiffinata.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 05 Feb 2014, 22:38

We had one minor cyclone cross the North Queensland Coast late last week - it appears to have degenerated into a low and was bringing much need rain to the extremely dry Queensland interior where farmers and graziers really are at their last gasp. Currently there are two small cyclones off the coast and one in the Gulf of Carpentaria, and I think there's another off the West Australian coast, too.

However, it IS cyclone season :? . I remember all those rainy and cyclone prone childhood summers in the 50s and 60s where it would rain and rain and rain not just for days, but for weeks. That was Queensland. You didn't travel up north because all the rivers would flood and the main highway (actually the ONLY highway then connecting Brisbane and Cairns) would be cut at every river or creek crossing; and the railway line would also be cut and you'd be stuck for days - or even weeks.

Then we went into drought about 20 years ago and only had slightly wet summers until the drought finally broke and we had the 2011 floods with 90% of the state under water; then last year's ex-cyclone Oswald brought flooding down the whole coastal fringe again, but didn't carry much rain to the outback.

If I remember my High School history correctly, there were major droughts back in the 1890s too. Was that about the time Hartigan wrote "Said Hanrahan", OzB? One of my fave poems, too :D
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby SaintedAunt » 06 Feb 2014, 00:12

Tommy Smith wrote: The railway line is swinging around in the gale like a rope bridge in some jungle.

Seen the pictures - an extraordinary sight.
It's been raining since December 3rd. My heart went out to the Somerset farmer who has 500 cattle and is desperately trying to build banks around the farm to keep the water out.

Yes, farmers are having a tough time. Round here the fields are waterlogged but not under water. Apart from where the North Sea surge broke down the estuary embankments and the water hasn't drained back yet. Where exactly do you live TS?
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 06 Feb 2014, 19:32

Westcountry National Park. Rains a lot :D.
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Next

Return to Pilots Mess